U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 10:12 PM

633 posts, read 679,552 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddb View Post
^^^ I agree...that's a rare find. We had a realtor who turned out to be sleazy... will not only never do business with him, but he lost a ton of business on referrals.

My advice: Do what you promise, when you promise. Don't put a ton of pressure on people even if you think you know better. Don't spend the whole time talking - sometimes we need time to think and filling the air with noise does more harm than good. Offer to wait outside and let us walk around alone, especially on a repeat visit. Be knowledgable about potential problem areas, but don't pretend to be an expert if you aren't. And provide a bunch of pictures and floor plans with your listings.

For the OP - the fact that you even care about what people want puts you ahead of a lot of others... many are a bunch of arrogant, self-serving #$%#$^&. So kudos to you.
OMG Floor Plans!!! We switched agent for this reason alone. Previous agent always give wishy washy excuse to why floor plans may not be readily available but our new agent can always find them through various sources she had invested over the years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2011, 11:04 PM

1,818 posts, read 1,967,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konig1985 View Post
OMG Floor Plans!!! We switched agent for this reason alone. Previous agent always give wishy washy excuse to why floor plans may not be readily available but our new agent can always find them through various sources she had invested over the years.
You reminded me: when I was selling a house some years ago, it had a room off the garage I had converted to an office. You couldn't tell it was there from outside; the realtor we hired to sell the house knew I was a computer guy so she asked me to draw up a floor plan to show the extra space. That was part of the package she prepared (pre-Internet days) to show prospective buyers. We sold that house fast!

I would love to see the floor plan (at least first floor, at least roughly) of any house I might want to look at in person.

Let me join the chorus: pictures, pictures, pictures! Let me see all the rooms.

One more thing: be transparent about property taxes. Show them to me on the web.

Old 03-03-2011, 01:28 PM

122 posts, read 120,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konig1985 View Post
Overall, I find all agents in FFC to be professional. The only problem is that after I closed the deal, the agent seems to have vanished on this planet when I ask simple questions like - vinly window vs wood window what to choose?
Why would you be asking your agent on window replacement options?

I've found during my housing search that many of the pictures available online were creative or misleading of the actual property. They were stragegically taken with angles to leave out blemishes, eyesores and/or negatives of the properties.

Old 03-03-2011, 06:59 PM

14,620 posts, read 23,326,729 times
That reminded me of what bugged me about our agent. She lived in town and claimed to know it well. She really didn't though since she always drove into the center of twon and then out one of the major road that radiated out from the center of town. There were many shortcuts across but she did not know them. I finally started giving her directions.

Ialso told her that we only wanted clonials. she would take us to see ranches, raised ranches and splits all the time. Finally I just told her to give me the listing addresses and I would let her know if we were interested.

Then she lept telling us what wonderful gifts she gave her clients. We heard this over and over. we did not expect a gift but were shocked when we got a card from a local charity saying she donated money in our name. We still joke about waiting for that wonderful gift to arrive. By the way we would never recommend her or use her again. Jay

Old 03-03-2011, 07:24 PM

12,545 posts, read 12,817,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Then she lept telling us what wonderful gifts she gave her clients. We heard this over and over. we did not expect a gift but were shocked when we got a card from a local charity saying she donated money in our name. We still joke about waiting for that wonderful gift to arrive. By the way we would never recommend her or use her again. Jay
You just reminded me!

The realtor who I wrote about on the previous page? After we bought this house, he sent us a silver keychain with our names engraved... from Tiffany's.

I was floored!

Old 03-06-2011, 03:11 PM

56 posts, read 161,378 times
WOW...Thank you to everyone who posted feedback here! The input will allow me to expand on some valuable business plans to better serve my current and future clients! Thanks Again!

Old 03-06-2011, 05:56 PM

30 posts, read 30,018 times
The most important thing is honesty. I understand your livelihood is based on commissions, but a buyer or seller can see through a greedy agent that is just out for themselves.

Follow your fiduciary rights, and respect and look after your clients best interest above your own. This is how you will get referrals, which will grow your business.

Many agents lose sight of this because they just see dollar signs, but if no one refers you, then your business is finished.

Also, be knowledgeable, and study the business.

Old 03-06-2011, 07:21 PM

633 posts, read 679,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davwve View Post
Why would you be asking your agent on window replacement options?

I've found during my housing search that many of the pictures available online were creative or misleading of the actual property. They were stragegically taken with angles to leave out blemishes, eyesores and/or negatives of the properties.
I was wondering if vinyl windows will affect the resale value of the house. After touring 100+ homes around the area I realized that unless its an antique house, wood windows are not going to do much for your resale. I've even seen vinyl windows in $1.5mil homes lol.

Old 03-09-2011, 03:06 AM

47 posts, read 76,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mels View Post
I have never sold a home, only bought.

What annoyed me when house hunting was the lack of photos available online. There is no excuse in this day and age for not uploading multiple quality digital photos. Realtors that aren't savvy with online marketing will be left in the dust.

Additionally, there is no excuse for piles of clutter to be in the online photos. I was shocked by what I saw online. Tell your sellers to tidy their house if they want to sell.
I couldn't agree more, but I'm wondering what the agent taking the pictures is thinking? My first reaction to seeing that is not that "the homeowners are pigs", it's "this agent is not very professional". Yes home owners can be slobs but the agent is being paid to market the house. Not moving a full laundry basket off the bed before snapping a picture is lame.

Another thing I hate is when agents convince people to "go neutral" and every room in the house is covered in a coat of cheap beige paint.

Finally, I want my online listings to have current year tax information on the house. Some listings have it and some don't and again, to me it reflects on the quality of the agent. Taxes play a major role in your monthly mortgage payment and the online calculators on places like Realtor.com need to be "smarter". It doesn't take much programming to pull the tax info off the listing and insert it into the calculations.

Old 03-09-2011, 10:13 AM

588 posts, read 1,143,156 times
Another thing I forgot - have the past year (preferably 2 years) of utility bills ready and available. We had some major sticker shock with the oil bills. I know oil spot prices vary a huge amount, but we can at least see volume consumed and figure out costs on our own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut