U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 03-03-2011, 05:25 PM

180 posts, read 120,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdpballer12 View Post
Well pj nugget, it would be a promotion from within a company that I enjoy. Im currently a part time assistant manager and the job in CT would be the full time manager. I know, not a huge salary but it is almost double what I made last year! I just graduated from college and I feel like Im spinning my wheels still working this part time with a degree. Its a tough call for sure but the houses there seem much more affordable than here in San Diego. A small old crappy house in the ghetto (drive bys and that fun stuff) is still going to run around 250k here... and believe it or not it gets old having nearly every day look the same! What did you guys expect to pay for a starter house over there? Ive seen plenty for under 200k online. Im not opposed to getting a foreclosure or fixer upper and doing work myself.

CT Girl, isn't east hartford supposed to be a less than desireable area?
again, thanks for your help!

Again
Fair enough...like I said, I would look towards Vernon...if you don't mind driving, maybe look around Southington for a house to buy. Good Luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 03-03-2011, 07:12 PM

2,728 posts, read 2,315,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdpballer12 View Post

CT Girl, isn't east hartford supposed to be a less than desireable area?
again, thanks for your help!

Again
I meant east and northeast OF Hartford. Vernon, Tolland, etc. - not East Hartford itself. East Hartford from what I know is not very desirable.

Unread 03-04-2011, 02:03 PM

606 posts, read 319,109 times
My advice is to stay in San Diego. The weather here sucks!!!

Sorry, I get like this every March.

Unread 03-04-2011, 10:48 PM

13,335 posts, read 19,984,702 times
In this economy, you do have to follow the job. If this is a promotion and adds to your career, then you should go for it. Hartford is a nice small city (small compare to San Deigo at least) and you can live on $50,000 if you are careful. In comparision to SD, home prices are a lot less. You can find a nice modest home in a decent suburb for under $200,000. Where to live depends a lot on what you like. If you want an urban area, look for a place in downtown Hartford. If you like the suburbs, I would suggest staying as close to you job as possible and look in nearby towns like Wethersfield and Newington. If you want somethig in between that is more upscale, look at West Hartford. I hope this helps. Good luck, Jay

Unread 03-05-2011, 06:07 AM

716 posts, read 904,349 times
Back in the late 70s I lived on B and 24th in San Diego. Then I moved to College Ave when I transferred from City College to SDSU.

Unread 03-06-2011, 01:00 AM

134 posts, read 205,659 times
East Hartford isnt bad at all rlly, the only rough areas are mainstreet from say pratt and whitney down. the rest is just suburbs, if you can afford an upper price town, Id recommened Glastonbury, its not far from hartford at all, good schools a decent restraunt scene. but if I were you Id try to get as close to the city without going into a bad area as possible if you hit RT.2 in rush hour through hartford you wont be enjoying it.

Unread 03-06-2011, 11:36 AM

1,406 posts, read 1,648,873 times
Although housing might be cheaper in CT, utilities certainly are not. In CA, I had no AC and my max gas bill in the winter was about $90 (including hot water and cooking) for a 3BR house with zero insulation.

Food and goods/services are also considerably more. Granted, we are in the Westchester/lower Fairfield area, but that was a huge jump from LA, which is a sizeable jump from San Diego.

Unread 03-06-2011, 07:06 PM

123 posts, read 172,040 times
Here's some advice...DONT lol

I'd kill for the opportunity to move out there with a steady job lined up just to get away from this place

Unread 03-06-2011, 07:18 PM

11,353 posts, read 10,730,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjinla View Post
Although housing might be cheaper in CT, utilities certainly are not. In CA, I had no AC and my max gas bill in the winter was about $90 (including hot water and cooking) for a 3BR house with zero insulation.

Food and goods/services are also considerably more. Granted, we are in the Westchester/lower Fairfield area, but that was a huge jump from LA, which is a sizeable jump from San Diego.
Bingo. Moving to CT from CA, you might save a little on housing costs (depending where in CA to where in CT) but your month to month utils will hurt. We lived in the LA area for a short time and sure, rent was a little more, but we had a beautiful condo with lots of amenities that you can't find in CT, and we never used heat or AC.

Unread 03-06-2011, 07:42 PM

621 posts, read 541,077 times
OMG, I can't believe the number of people who hate Northeast.

I dislike San Diego because seagulls carpet bomb with their droppings anywhere they like. Other than that its a nice place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut