U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 10:54 AM

1,429 posts, read 2,086,713 times

Advertisements

"OMG, I can't believe the number of people who hate Northeast."

I know it sounds terribly negative, but unless you've lived there, you will never quite understand what it's like to enjoy life 12 months out of the year instead of only 6. I feel like I'm in prison here. My kids hate not being able to go out back or to the park every day. I can't tell you the last time I walked out of my house, looked up in the sky and just thought "what a beautiful day!" I just feel like we're wasting half our life away here.

Granted, the job market in CA is terrible and is the only reason why we left. But in hindsight I wished my husband had stayed where he was - even if it meant turning down a better opportunity. We had an amazing life and friends there. If the opportunity presents itself down the road to return, there is no question in our minds that we'd do it in a heartbeat.

Sure, cost of living is high as are taxes, but we called it a 'sunshine tax' and were glad to pay it. Out here, you are forking over half of your income on taxes and have little to show for it. At least when it was 75 degrees every day I was in a more giving mood!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2011, 12:45 PM

195 posts, read 165,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjinla View Post
"OMG, I can't believe the number of people who hate Northeast."

I know it sounds terribly negative, but unless you've lived there, you will never quite understand what it's like to enjoy life 12 months out of the year instead of only 6. I feel like I'm in prison here. My kids hate not being able to go out back or to the park every day. I can't tell you the last time I walked out of my house, looked up in the sky and just thought "what a beautiful day!" I just feel like we're wasting half our life away here.

Granted, the job market in CA is terrible and is the only reason why we left. But in hindsight I wished my husband had stayed where he was - even if it meant turning down a better opportunity. We had an amazing life and friends there. If the opportunity presents itself down the road to return, there is no question in our minds that we'd do it in a heartbeat.

Sure, cost of living is high as are taxes, but we called it a 'sunshine tax' and were glad to pay it. Out here, you are forking over half of your income on taxes and have little to show for it. At least when it was 75 degrees every day I was in a more giving mood!

One of the main reasons we are thinking of relocating...this winter did it for me...it was between Irvine CA and Cary NC and it looks more like NC is going to win because of the the COL...

Old 03-07-2011, 01:56 PM

1,429 posts, read 2,086,713 times
"It was between Irvine CA and Cary NC and it looks more like NC is going to win because of the the COL"

Yes, but Irvine doesn't have mosquitos and humidity. There are cheaper places in Orange County than Irvine. Go inland a little and it drops significantly. Probably not NC cheap, but worth it, IMO.

But I have a lot of friends in NC and they are very happy there.

Old 03-07-2011, 06:46 PM

195 posts, read 165,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjinla View Post
"It was between Irvine CA and Cary NC and it looks more like NC is going to win because of the the COL"

Yes, but Irvine doesn't have mosquitos and humidity. There are cheaper places in Orange County than Irvine. Go inland a little and it drops significantly. Probably not NC cheap, but worth it, IMO.

But I have a lot of friends in NC and they are very happy there.

I know, I think the CA weather is much better but i think the COL in NC looks significantly cheaper...I would probably make the same amount about (65-70k)...fiance would need to find a job in Interior Design in both places.

Old 03-07-2011, 09:28 PM

14,586 posts, read 23,220,939 times
Yes, the weather is beautiful but quite frankly I find the barren brown landscape of Southern California ugly. There I said it. Orange County is nice but very over crowded and not very well planned. I do not like to have to get on a multi-lane highway to go everywhere and I do not htink that a sea of McMansions (you forget the McMansion was invented in Orange County) on literally postage stamp sized lots is very charming. And if you want to find a place with the most shallow people per square mile, then Southern CA is just right for you (that is what my friend who has lived 25+ years says). I love the northeast and the change in seasons. I love all of the seasons (even this winter) because it is so diverse. I also love the charm and history of New England. You don't find that in southern Califormia. I don't even thinnk the food is that great. Too many chi-chi trendy and Mex places. Okay, I said my peace. Jay

Old 03-07-2011, 11:57 PM

527 posts, read 1,098,375 times
Wow. We are in Orange County CA and have been wanting to move east for quite awhile. Specifically the Northeast. Unfortunately the timing, nor the economy, has been right. We have family in CT, which is why I follow this board, thinking that is where we would like to try living someday. When I first started following the CT board it was refreshing to find a place where the people were happy. Unfortunately, the climate on this board has changed a lot.
Most posts now focus on complaints about taxes, weather, and unfriendly people. Nothing that most of us don't already know, but it seems to be all that the people of CT can talk about. I feel bad for the OP as most of the CT residents have opted to air out everything they hate about their state, instead of simply answering his/her question. I am sure the OP knows that CT will be completely different than San Diego, and that, yes, it's really cold. I don't think the OP asked for anyone's opinion on whether or not he should move. Sadly this thread was used as a sounding board for all of those who want out of the state.
Personally, even though there are a lot of things I dislike about CA, when I answer a post on the OC board I answer the question. I don't tell the poster how miserable they will be, unless that is what they want to know. Most people on City-Data simply want information. If they want honest opinions they usually ask, then I feel it is appropriate to say what you feel are the drawbacks of your state.
I love CT when we visit, even in the winter, but now I am not so sure I could really live there. It seems like a pretty dismal place, where most of the residents simply want out. I don't want to be a prisoner in my own house and it's not seeming like the inviting area I thought it would be. So disappointing.

Old 03-08-2011, 12:23 AM

834 posts, read 1,309,977 times
I was just telling another poster how IMO City Data skews to the negative. I think you could probably move to a lot of places and be very happy there.

I lived in Florida for 15 years and I swear I always felt like the only person who hated it. It was just too hot and muggy for too long. But everyone else there loved it. Then I find City data and all I read are negative comments. I can tell you that the City Data vibe for Florida is far different than living there. I think it's the same with CT.

This winter was horrid and I usually like winter so I think it's taken it's toll on people and made them grumpy. I know it has for me. I believe that the people are friendly and seem happy for the most part. On this board, you'll find a lot of people like myself who are leaving the state simply because of the cost of living. Obviously, for many people, the cost of living works out fine for them and they actually earn a better living here than they would most places. For us, we took a chance and moved and it just didn't work out.
But really, you need to plan a trip here and visit for yourself. City data is great for some feedback but honestly I've done a lot of reading on this board and there is no state or city that gets rave reviews. I don't think there is any place you'll read about on City Data and think, "Wow I want to move there!"

BUT maybe that's good that the negative is laid out and posters don't have to fish around for it. It does make you feel bummed out about moving though.

Old 03-08-2011, 08:08 AM

12,056 posts, read 12,850,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oc2nyc View Post
I love CT when we visit, even in the winter, but now I am not so sure I could really live there. It seems like a pretty dismal place, where most of the residents simply want out. I don't want to be a prisoner in my own house and it's not seeming like the inviting area I thought it would be. So disappointing.
Anyone who uses a message board to determine whether or not they should move 3,000 miles away wasn't going to move in the first place.

FWIW, the OP did ask for an affordable, commutable, safe area where they can survive on $50k. He also ended his post with "any other advice/input will be appreciated". If that's not asking for opinions, then I don't know what is.

Last edited by kidyankee764; 03-08-2011 at 08:18 AM..

Old 03-08-2011, 08:14 AM

5,309 posts, read 3,985,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjnugget View Post
One of the main reasons we are thinking of relocating...this winter did it for me...it was between Irvine CA and Cary NC and it looks more like NC is going to win because of the the COL...
Talk to me in July/August.......... careful what you wish for..its HELL here in summer...

Old 03-08-2011, 08:21 AM

5,309 posts, read 3,985,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oc2nyc View Post
Wow. We are in Orange County CA and have been wanting to move east for quite awhile. Specifically the Northeast. Unfortunately the timing, nor the economy, has been right. We have family in CT, which is why I follow this board, thinking that is where we would like to try living someday. When I first started following the CT board it was refreshing to find a place where the people were happy. Unfortunately, the climate on this board has changed a lot.
Most posts now focus on complaints about taxes, weather, and unfriendly people. Nothing that most of us don't already know, but it seems to be all that the people of CT can talk about. I feel bad for the OP as most of the CT residents have opted to air out everything they hate about their state, instead of simply answering his/her question. I am sure the OP knows that CT will be completely different than San Diego, and that, yes, it's really cold. I don't think the OP asked for anyone's opinion on whether or not he should move. Sadly this thread was used as a sounding board for all of those who want out of the state.
Personally, even though there are a lot of things I dislike about CA, when I answer a post on the OC board I answer the question. I don't tell the poster how miserable they will be, unless that is what they want to know. Most people on City-Data simply want information. If they want honest opinions they usually ask, then I feel it is appropriate to say what you feel are the drawbacks of your state.

Here is the thing..I figured this out. I too am ready to move back to CT. The people on forums (same as here in Charlotte) come on to complain (yes, I'm culprit number one!)..its a sound off board more than anything. Its not that many of the complaints aren't justified, but those who are content just don't bother posting. GRAIN OF SALT... Look at the weather. I'd kill to be back in the 4 season northeast weather. I now have 6 months of heat to look forward to .. its all relative.

Bottom line..don't let a forum change your mind about your dreams...half these people are just sick of winter .

P.S. CT does have a terrible cost of living level though..that IS a realism..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut