Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 12:16 PM

6 posts, read 13,990 times

Advertisements

Hi guys and gals, I will be taking a job in Hartford and am wondering where I should consider living. I will be working on Main St. zip 06103. How is that area?

I lived in the sticks of CT for a couple of years as a kid and enjoyed it. I'm ready for a change of pace and was wondering if there are any areas that have a rural, small town feel that are affordable, commutable, and safe?

I have heard that CT, much like San Diego, can have a nice area here and a real bad area a mile down the road. Is that true? Will I be able to survive on 50k out there? buy a house eventually? I know thats alot of questions but this will be my first move as an adult and a big one at that! Any other advice/input will be appreciated. Thank You!
Patrick
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2011, 01:02 PM

2,727 posts, read 6,152,771 times
I hear there are decent areas of Hartford, but I would try and live outside it. West Hartford is nice, Newington, Rocky Hill, Cromwell.

How long a commute would you be willing to make?

Old 03-03-2011, 01:40 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,944,080 times
I'd consider Granby, East Granby, Marlborough, Tolland and Bolton. $50K could be a challenge though. I make $65K and still have to be very careful of my expenditures. Thank god I just got a 3% raise and a 12% bonus.

Old 03-03-2011, 02:07 PM

I'd say half an hour (in good weather) would be the ideal commute for me but could compromise that for the right reasons. My Girlfriend will get a job asap as well so that should help with the income oh and no kids. I've survived in San Diego on much less so I'm no stranger to penny pinching Thank you guys!

Old 03-03-2011, 02:22 PM

The traffic getting into/out of Hartford can be bad, but I'm sure we all know that.

The towns I mentioned are close by, not 100% sure about the other towns mentoined.

Old 03-03-2011, 02:23 PM

547 posts, read 774,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdpballer12 View Post
Hi guys and gals, I will be taking a job in Hartford and am wondering where I should consider living. I will be working on Main St. zip 06103. How is that area?

I lived in the sticks of CT for a couple of years as a kid and enjoyed it. I'm ready for a change of pace and was wondering if there are any areas that have a rural, small town feel that are affordable, commutable, and safe?

I have heard that CT, much like San Diego, can have a nice area here and a real bad area a mile down the road. Is that true? Will I be able to survive on 50k out there? buy a house eventually? I know thats alot of questions but this will be my first move as an adult and a big one at that! Any other advice/input will be appreciated. Thank You!
Patrick
The main question is why? I'm considering making the opposite move out to sunny CA or NC. This winter was the last straw...

50k is ok but you will need more if you plan to buy a house someday...I would look in Vernon area...the really nice towns outside of Hartford would be Farmington/West Hartford but price for places will be higher.

Old 03-03-2011, 02:24 PM

Keep in mind that (right now, who knows in the future) the cheaper housing tends to be to the east/northeast of Hartford.

Old 03-03-2011, 02:54 PM

1,497 posts, read 4,458,495 times
I thought the same thing...why in Gods name would you move from SD to Hartford?

We came from LA of all places and still regret it...and I lived in San Diego for 5 years and liked it 10x better than LA. Good luck, though!

Old 03-03-2011, 02:57 PM

Well pj nugget, it would be a promotion from within a company that I enjoy. Im currently a part time assistant manager and the job in CT would be the full time manager. I know, not a huge salary but it is almost double what I made last year! I just graduated from college and I feel like Im spinning my wheels still working this part time with a degree. Its a tough call for sure but the houses there seem much more affordable than here in San Diego. A small old crappy house in the ghetto (drive bys and that fun stuff) is still going to run around 250k here... and believe it or not it gets old having nearly every day look the same! What did you guys expect to pay for a starter house over there? Ive seen plenty for under 200k online. Im not opposed to getting a foreclosure or fixer upper and doing work myself.

CT Girl, isn't east hartford supposed to be a less than desireable area?
again, thanks for your help!

Again

Old 03-03-2011, 04:20 PM

2 posts, read 5,847 times
sdpballer12, i just moved up from the southern U.S. but I'm in New Haven ATM. Already made a post in another thread with some questions. If you need some help with transit, consider taking the local bus/train an hour or so early to get the hang of things. I heard public transport can be better than having a car. Just leave very early LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut