Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 10:37 PM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
North Dakota has the lowest unemployment in the nation and a budget SURPLUS, thanks to fiscal conservative policies. I read an article on how there is a job there for anyone nowadays. It's just VERY cold for too long.
I just got off the phone with a friend in South Dakota. It has been way below freezing since December and there are piles of snow 8 feet high everywhere. She says they are expecting another 8 inches of snow this week and don't know where to put it. It has been tthe worst winter on record and on top of that they are expecting flooding when it all melts which may not be until May or June. Needless to say if you love that type of weather, go for it. If not, don't. Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2011, 07:21 AM

5,232 posts, read 8,415,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Yes, yes it is. And that job is probably shoveling horse poop.

Cant be much worse than swallowing the horse poop from our political elites here.

At any rate I wouldn't go pulling up roots unless I had something waiting for me where I was going. Unless of course I bought the right lottery ticket.

Old 03-05-2011, 09:41 AM

1,063 posts, read 1,363,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brien51 View Post
I wouldn't move here unless you could earn 100K per year That's what it takes to live comfortably.

I think your definition of comfortable is a little bit different than everyone else's.

You don't need to make nearly that much money to move/live here comfortably.

Old 03-05-2011, 07:16 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,006,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Csiko View Post
I think your definition of comfortable is a little bit different than everyone else's.

You don't need to make nearly that much money to move/live here comfortably.
Bullcrap. Try raising a family, not living in a POS house, saving for college, retirment, life, pay your taxes, not drive a 10 year old car, pay for daycare etc...

100K in CT does not go far, not at all.

Old 03-05-2011, 07:20 PM

2,727 posts, read 6,153,802 times
Quote:
Bullcrap. Try raising a family, not living in a POS house, saving for college, retirment, life, pay your taxes, not drive a 10 year old car, pay for daycare etc...

AGREED!!

JV - tried to rep but it won't let me again yet. But I agree. I make good money and barely scrape by here. And I don't live anywhere near fancy at ALL.

Old 03-06-2011, 09:31 AM

1,031 posts, read 2,447,780 times
Quote:

Like CTGirlNoMore, I also agree. I'm paid "well" but I already cut my cable subscription, cancelled my home phone, drive a 9-year-old car, and I'm moving to a lower rent apartment to save money. Friends that make $40K to $60K either live with their parents in nice towns or own cheap older homes in places like Shelton/Ansonia. I don't personally know anyone (at least in Fairfield county) who is living the "good life" with a household income below $150K. Good life is of course living in a nice/safe neighborhood in an updated house relatively close to work, paying down school debt, having money for hobbies, owning a relatively new car, and spending money on a dinner out every other week. Everyone seems to be struggling.

Addition: just re-read the original post. Administrative Assistant thinking of coming to Connecticut. Very bad idea. Poor pay and in a place like CT you'd have to live with someone else with a high income or multiple roommates--or live in a not-so-great area. Staying in FL and moving to another town with lower unemployment sounds like a better idea.

Last edited by Kristin85; 03-06-2011 at 10:03 AM.. Reason: Add

Old 03-06-2011, 09:58 AM

5 posts, read 20,639 times
I think if you are willing to commute you will have more chances of getting a job up here. You have NYC Fairfield county, new haven and even Hartford as places to job hunt. I personally work as an administrative assistant for a woman who is running her own business our of her home, and in Fairfield county you find a lot of people like that who need help. Even if you do a simple job search on Craigslist you will be able to see the types of job openings. A lot of people do want degrees but I think experience is more important because most people don't want to have to spend time training someone. Good luck!!

Old 03-06-2011, 11:29 AM

1,497 posts, read 4,459,279 times
"Also, sales tax now on everything ...and even if you buy something on sale, you will pay the sales tax on the retail price now."

How is that even possible? Is this true? I've never heard of such a thing, and can't imagine how on earth they could possibly legally implement it.

Old 03-06-2011, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjinla View Post
"Also, sales tax now on everything ...and even if you buy something on sale, you will pay the sales tax on the retail price now."

How is that even possible? Is this true? I've never heard of such a thing, and can't imagine how on earth they could possibly legally implement it.
How it's legal, I don't know, but yup that is plan........................

Old 03-06-2011, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjinla View Post

On today's front page of the Record Journal, there is an article about this. I just started reading it - very interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut