Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 06:01 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,968,512 times

Advertisements

JV:"What kind of QOL is there when you work yourself to death all week, spend your weekends catching up on all the crap you couldn't get done during the week because you ate dinner at 8pm and passed out at 10 just to get up and repeat the next day. Are in a constant state of exhaustion to the point of not having time to just play with my kids. "

That's a vital point, a relative with a Masters in Business, and Bachelors from MIT, always top of his class, packed up and left for that very reason. Had been working on Wall St, never home before last of kids went to bed. Today he is near Chicago, and sees them all every single night, making more than ever, too.

Old 03-13-2011, 06:12 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,005,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeerose00 View Post
Since when can a state provide a quality of life? Doesn't quality of life come down to an individual?

If a person can move to another state, and they personally like the weather better, and they see their money go further which allows them to work less, save more and worry less about the future (kids' college, weddings, their own retirement) wouldn't their qualify of life improve?

I'm going back to a state where our quality of life was better for us. Warmer, greener and cheaper taxes and insurance on everything, Still close to major cities, the beach, the mountains all improve my quality of life. I don't care what other people think really. Everyone has to do what is best for them.

I do not understand how one can make a blanket statement and say that quality of life in X state is better than Y state. It comes down to an individual and their families. Personally, I'd never live in Texas because of the heat. However, there are many people that love it obviously. Who am I to tell them that their quality of life isn't as good as mine? I mean, really.

If quality of life was measured in taxes you pay, then yes Connecticut would provide the highest quality of life over any other state.
Well said...I agree. I find it funny that someone who moved from Austin to Hartford is making those statements, even though they barely even live here.

I did the Charlotte vs Hartford comparions...should we do an Austin? LOL I mean, my God...millions of people rolling in there, all the new buildings, companies, restaurants etc all must mean it's a crappy place. But, just remember they might actually say one a dem dear prayer thangs at a high skool futball game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
JV:"What kind of QOL is there when you work yourself to death all week, spend your weekends catching up on all the crap you couldn't get done during the week because you ate dinner at 8pm and passed out at 10 just to get up and repeat the next day. Are in a constant state of exhaustion to the point of not having time to just play with my kids. "

That's a vital point, a relative with a Masters in Business, and Bachelors from MIT, always top of his class, packed up and left for that very reason. Had been working on Wall St, never home before last of kids went to bed. Today he is near Chicago, and sees them all every single night, making more than ever, too.
Pretty much. We make good money, but the ROI is not there. It's just not.

We drove around NW CT today...it was very nice. (Aside from the 40% NY plates and people running amock. LOL ) However, I would trade that in a heartbeat if it meant the 99% of my other time was better spent on the values that *I* hold dear. Faith, Family, Friends. I believe that, and it's not because of the hokey signs that have appeared lately.

Being told "why don't you just make more money" is really comical.

Duhhuh...gee, I dudn't tink about dat.

Old 03-13-2011, 06:19 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,968,512 times
As are most of yours, another great post, JV. One should not blindly allow a state to consume more and more of its GDP, via excess taxation. The news covers the Madisons well,when 70k hit the streets, but fails to cover the mass exodus Ct, Mi, NY, and a few other tax-a-holic states incurred in a short span of time..with a less rabid taxation governor than DM.

For new taxes w/o cost cuts, Malloy is the gold standard. The uber liberals dream.

BTW, Kudos is deserved by Andy Cuomo, for attempting to correct the mess his dad and other lefties put NY in! Kudos to Christie, too, but DM seems stuck in a time warp, circa 1955. GE does not employ thousands in Bridgeport now, nor are there 300k mfg jobs (yes 20 years ago that was the CT qty). There are 191k now, with UTC (see Hamilton) apt to cut that far lower.

Last edited by bobtn; 03-13-2011 at 06:27 PM..

Old 03-13-2011, 06:21 PM

834 posts, read 2,278,248 times
Quote:
Being told "why don't you just make more money" is really comical.
Who made that brilliant statement? I hope you thanked Captain Obvious for the sage advice.

Old 03-13-2011, 09:23 PM

34,930 posts, read 56,935,296 times
We have a number of threads going that have turned into the same complaints. I am therefore closing this one down for review. It seems to have gone off topic and is becoming a flame. JayCT, Moderator
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut