Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 03:48 PM

23 posts, read 103,432 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,
During the recent snow storm, there has been a lot of snow on the roof, which was then build up as ice and took nearly 2 months to clear off. Anyways, recently couple of weeks back, I noticed some water stains on the first floor ceiling and also on the second floor ceiling right around the same spot. The stains itself are not very big, they are very light in color and probably three fourth of an A4 size paper. I had someone look into it and the guy said it is due to the water backing up from the ice dam on the roof.

One of my friend says I need to call the insurance irrespective of how big it is due the fact that there might be some mold issue

Also I noticed that some of the shingles have fallen off - not a whole lot - probably 5 or 6 pieces.

Please advice do I need to call the insurance or get it fixed myself. Thanks in advance to your suggestion and help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2011, 07:35 AM

Any Suggesstion?

Old 03-10-2011, 07:42 AM

8,155 posts, read 20,915,302 times
I'm not sure why you're asking a home repair question on the CT board...but, whatever.

I'm a little confused about the shingles. Do you mean roofing shingles?

If you have damaged roofing shingles, get them fixed! You can call a restoration company, get the process started and evaluated and then choose to pay out of pocket or make a claim. The insurance company is not a contractor or home inspector.

TELL the restoration company that you may make a claim or pay out of pocket depending on the outcome. It matters, trust me.

Get a good independant restoration company or smaller privately owned chains like Paul Davis Restoration or Puroclean.

Don't go to the faceless Servpro places who are a joke and really screw people up with $10 per hour guys who are hardly trained and don't care.

I'm in the business, but I'm not advertising here. Go to the other guys.

Old 03-10-2011, 08:38 AM

JViello,
Thank you and appreciate your response and I apologize for posting a repair question here..
BTW, yes I meant roof shingles. Did you mean call the restoration company for fixing the roof or for taking care of the water stain or both roof and the water stain? Sorry for being ignorant, I was told that I need to talk to a roofer for fixing the roofing shingles - just wanted to confirm.

Please advice.

Old 03-10-2011, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolguy View Post
JViello,
Thank you and appreciate your response and I apologize for posting a repair question here..
BTW, yes I meant roof shingles. Did you mean call the restoration company for fixing the roof or for taking care of the water stain or both roof and the water stain? Sorry for being ignorant, I was told that I need to talk to a roofer for fixing the roofing shingles - just wanted to confirm.

Please advice.
NP, it depends on the company. Puroclean just does water damage. But Paul Davis for instance will do soup to nuts and has a line of subcontractors they work with under their umbrella so they can "do it all". I actually do some sub work for Paul Davis in Glastonbury.

It really all depends on the company, and what your needs are. If you just want it dry and will coordinate contractors yourself, use a place like Puroclean.

If you call an independant, you can ask them those same questions.

Good luck!

Old 03-10-2011, 10:29 AM

34,634 posts, read 56,369,388 times
I let this thread stay on the Connecticut Board because I think the question is more related to Connecticut right now rather than anywhere else. I too am interested in this since we had some minor damage this winter too. I am trying to decide whether we should pursue it or not since it was just some water spots on the ceiling. It seems to have gone away now that the ice is off the roof. Any thoughts or would I be stupid to ignore this? Jay

Old 03-10-2011, 10:32 AM

5,232 posts, read 8,372,572 times
JMO but I'd try to go beyond the roofing shingles. If the ice dams caused leaking then simply replacing the shingles wont prevent it from happening again. At the very least you need to prevent the dams from forming with an electric heating strip of one kind or the other, but ideally you should have ice dam protection under the roofing shingles, if you did & it was done right you wouldn't be asking these questions. I dont know a thing about mold etc but I'd recomend getting the insurance company involved. Sometimes they'll cover removing & repairing the roof depending on things beyond my pay grade. All I can say with certainty is I'v got two jobs pending that they are paying to remove the shingles & correct the problem but theres others that they only want to replace a couple shingles & adress the interior problems. To me that seems bass ackwards, I'd rather live in a dry house with a water stain than a freshly painted one that leaks in the winter.

Old 03-10-2011, 12:21 PM

323 posts, read 631,862 times
Hi Coolguy: This is a question for the CT board, for sure. This year I have many neighbors dealing with this same issue, and all of us have called our insurance companies, and ALL of us have received a check. They pay for the damage done by the ice/water. They will not pay for the roof to be repaired, but they pay for the damage done by the roof being damaged. I know, sort of confusing, but its insurance! They don't want to make it too easy to figure out! For example, my insurance paid me for the costs associated with my ceilings having to be re-painted, my rugs needing to be dried out, and the fee I paid to have the ice/snow removed from my roof. They also said they would come back and look at the exterior of my home when the snow is gone! Go ahead and call them, that's why we have insurance. My check paid for 3 years of my premiums.

Old 03-10-2011, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I let this thread stay on the Connecticut Board because I think the question is more related to Connecticut right now rather than anywhere else. I too am interested in this since we had some minor damage this winter too. I am trying to decide whether we should pursue it or not since it was just some water spots on the ceiling. It seems to have gone away now that the ice is off the roof. Any thoughts or would I be stupid to ignore this? Jay
I'd gamble by now that the drywall is dry Jay. What you can check for quickly is mold. Pull back the insulation above where the spots were, and see if the drywall is growing mold and/or still wet. Moisture content can be tough to determin with a blind eye, but I'm talking more about wet to the touch and/or the presence of mold.

I have one of these that points it out pretty quickly and then I probe for moisture content with another tool.

If you have moisture and/or mold, yea I would get it remediated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hat456 View Post
Hi Coolguy: This is a question for the CT board, for sure. This year I have many neighbors dealing with this same issue, and all of us have called our insurance companies, and ALL of us have received a check. They pay for the damage done by the ice/water. They will not pay for the roof to be repaired, but they pay for the damage done by the roof being damaged. I know, sort of confusing, but its insurance! They don't want to make it too easy to figure out! For example, my insurance paid me for the costs associated with my ceilings having to be re-painted, my rugs needing to be dried out, and the fee I paid to have the ice/snow removed from my roof. They also said they would come back and look at the exterior of my home when the snow is gone! Go ahead and call them, that's why we have insurance. My check paid for 3 years of my premiums.
While that's all well and good, just know one should be careful about making claims as your rates can go up a good amount and/or your payout after deductible if the job is small might not be worth it.

Some folks have had their premiums almost double.

This year I had two rafters crack and water come in...I fixed it and remediated everything myself because we had a major flood claim in just last year.

Old 03-10-2011, 08:10 PM

34,634 posts, read 56,369,388 times
Thanks, I will do that. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
View detailed profiles of: