Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 08:24 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,021,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Not really. THe last major hurricane to hit Connecticut was Floyd in 1999. Before that it was Gloria in 1985 and before that Donna in 1960. Connecticut is somewhat protected from hurricanes that do hit by Long Island. Most storms come in off the Atlantic and must pass over Long Island before getting to Connecticut. By that time, they usually have been weakened. It really shouldn't be a worry unless you live right on the shore. Plus today's modern weather service is pretty good at tracking these types of storms and can give you plenty of time to batten down the hatches or run for cover. Jay
Jay's assertion is mostly correct that LI shields the CT shoreline from hurricanes.
However the Great New England Hurricane of 1938 crossed relatively flat Long Island and hit the CT shoreline as a category 3 storm.

Hurricane Gloria in 1985 caused widespread damage to the state -but nothing on the scale of 1938's storm.

We are overdue for a hit- not to say that it is imminent- but be educated.
Also insurance rates for homeowners within 15 miles of the shore have increased- climate change and the possibility of more storms has caused some companies to exit and others raise premiums- though not on a scale further south.

Last edited by skytrekker; 07-27-2007 at 04:09 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2007, 03:19 AM

13 posts, read 58,807 times
Default Thank You!

Thanks for all the replies, and the welcomes I had a bad experience in Utah a few years ago, stranded, no power, 12 below; not something I'd ever want to relive.

I moved to Arizona from Missouri, so I'm used to snow and cold weather. I still regret not moving to Guilford instead of Arizona where on the 4th of July we had to have our barbeque indoors because it was 125 degrees out. I wish I was joking.

Having lived in extreme heat and cold areas, I have to say I much prefer the cold. You can dress in layers, light a fire, find someone to snuggle with, etc. When it's 125 out the only relief is jumping in a body of water, but that's only temporary. Even with spf 30 sunblock we have gotten very bad sunburns, and many of the locals here have a very leathery skin I'm guessing because of that very reason.

I knew what I was getting into when I moved to Arizona, but since this is where my mother is this is where I wanted to be after my divorce. Just in case you're wondering what in the world would make me want to move here. Two more weeks and I'll be in Guilford!

Old 07-27-2007, 05:12 AM

34,925 posts, read 56,924,455 times
Airam - I understand you dislike of the heat. I feel the same way. I find the cold ot be much more manageable and really do not mind the snow. I am glad to hear you are on your way here. Please keep us inofmred of your move and impressions. We would love to hear your opinions. Again, good luck, Jay

Old 07-27-2007, 05:25 AM

I spent some time in Phoenix and Tucson 7 years ago- in May- and even then at just over 100 degrees the heat though 'dry' became tiresome after awhile. When I left Sky harbor Airport to retrieve my rental car- the heat hit me like a sledgehammer. Tuscon was slightly less hot then Phoenix, but not enough to make a big difference. The period from November to April may be pleasant- but 5 months of a Viking Sauna like inferno is something I could not stand.

With climate change it is only going to become hotter and perhaps even drier. With the influx of people coming into the state of AZ-my question is this? Where comes the water?

Old 07-27-2007, 08:34 AM

4,429 posts, read 10,361,630 times
Airam,

I was in AZ many years ago (before it was so built up) and I thought the desert scenery was interesting.

Just a note though - you are moving from a very dry climate to a fairly humid one. For example, this morning at 9:00 am the dew point was 70 (the temp was 72). But by 2:00 this afternoon when the temp is 88 F, the THI will feel like 103 F. So keep in mind the East Coast - south of Massachuttess, is a pretty humid place . I was in Maryland a few week ago, and people were complaing about humidity so bad that they were getting mold on bath towels. Most of the Tri-State (NY, NJ, CT) - mid-Atlantic region get's 40 to 50-inches of rain a year, although, in some years- after heavy rains in April, or hurricane remments - we may get 75 -inches.

I'am sure you are used to summer heat being from AZ. But the humidity sometimes can be quite uncomfortable.
So be advised. Southern Connecticut can feel like Thailand in summer. So enjoy the last 'dry' days!

Good Luck and welcome to the wet half of the USA!

Old 07-27-2007, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
Airam,

I was in AZ many years ago (before it was so built up) and I thought the desert scenery was interesting.

Just a note though - you are moving from a very dry climate to a fairly humid one. For example, this morning at 9:00 am the dew point was 70 (the temp was 72). But by 2:00 this afternoon when the temp is 88 F, the THI will feel like 103 F. So keep in mind the East Coast - south of Massachuttess, is a pretty humid place . I was in Maryland a few week ago, and people were complaing about humidity so bad that they were getting mold on bath towels. Most of the Tri-State (NY, NJ, CT) - mid-Atlantic region get's 40 to 50-inches of rain a year, although, in some years- after heavy rains in April, or hurricane remments - we may get 75 -inches.

I'am sure you are used to summer heat being from AZ. But the humidity sometimes can be quite uncomfortable.
So be advised. Southern Connecticut can feel like Thailand in summer. So enjoy the last 'dry' days!

Good Luck and welcome to the wet half of the USA!
That 'Thailand' weather you speak of lasts for 2 months in southern CT- and that is intermittent, with periods of warm weather with moderate humidity. The heat in AZ lasts for 5 months-continued, it is relentless.

Old 07-27-2007, 11:02 AM

13 posts, read 58,807 times
skytrekker is absolutely right, the heat in Arizona is staggering, and even more so in Mohave county, where I live. My youngest daughter dreads getting in the car, it is literally an oven. Last summer, our first here, she touched the metal fastener on the seat belt and she got a SECOND DEGREE BURN!

My air conditioner runs non-stop from June until September. Literally. It never turns off. I have astronomical electric bills to prove it.

I visited my sister in the St. Louis area right after the 4th of July and by contrast, yes it was humid. But I didn't live in fear of opening the front door or getting in the car, or having to wait until the sun went down to go shopping. I think most speeding tickets in Arizona (at least in this part) are given to people trying to get home as quickly as possible from the grocery store. I've had to resort to taking an ice chest whenever I go grocery shopping; I've had milk go bad just getting it home.

I can't tell you how many tourists get admitted to the hospital thinking they can withstand even an hour in direct sun with 120 plus temperatures. Sunstrokes, dehydration, and second degree sun burns are not uncommon for first time visitors. Thank God they finally got rid of the metal (!!!!!) slide in the park, but let me tell you, in this heat plastic gets very hot as well.

Which brings me back to my original post; since that incident in Utah I have a phobia of being trapped in my home by snow. Granted I don't have that here; but the dread of opening my front door and taking that first scorching breath and then having to get in my car pretty much accomplishes the same thing.

Bring on the humidity! I'm used to that. I don't imagine I could ever get used to this heat. My children can't adjust either; everyday for the past week my daughter keeps asking me if it's time to move yet. I can't wait for them to see and experience Guilford and all it has to offer. They're going to love it every bit as much as I did.

Old 07-27-2007, 05:47 PM

Airam

you are unique in that you are leaving AZ- and migrating to CT- obviously you liked what you saw along the south eastern CT shoreline (More folks are-along the states eastern part, as well- known as the 'quiet corner'.

Guilford is a very charming town- your children will love it.
Everyone here provided great information, Jay, Wavehunter and everyone else.

Good luck in your move out of the oven- and welcome to Connecticut.

Last edited by skytrekker; 07-27-2007 at 06:02 PM..

Old 07-27-2007, 08:07 PM

87 posts, read 322,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytrekker View Post
We are overdue for a hit- not to say that it is imminent- but be educated.
Also insurance rates for homeowners within 15 miles of the shore have increased- climate change and the possibility of more storms has caused some companies to exit and others raise premiums- though not on a scale further south.
Excellent point!

I'm on the Shoreline in CT and after all the Hurricanes hit in Florida my homeowners insurance doubled. When I called to inquire, I was told that it was because I was in a Hurricane zone. For the record my parents live in the area and got the same answer.

Old 07-27-2007, 09:35 PM

4,429 posts, read 10,361,630 times
Airam,

That sound's mighty hot (lol). I guess I never relized who hot AZ can be. Being in the East - most of my experince with heat is the South Atlantic states (Florida, South Carolina). I can't imagine what temps feel like at 120 F.
Mohave county is more northern AZ, I didn't think it was quite so hot. Some freinds have told me that Flagstaff is somewhat moderate. Is this due to elevation?

I do think it will take you a little time to get used to the 'wet half' of the USA. As skytrekker pinted out our hot and humid last only 2 or 3 months, but sometmes when it's 55 F and raining it can feel raw - because of so much moisture in the air. I'am sure you will do fine. Look on the bright side - everything here will seem so green compared to a dry climate.

I have always wondered about rattlers - did you see many in AZ? Where/are they a problem in suburban areas?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut