Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 05:47 PM

2,855 posts, read 10,387,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
I'm afraid I must agree with you. More and more, I'm thinking I'm going to have to get out of Connecticut once I retire. I would hate to leave, but with the direction the state is going in, I may not have a choice. I'm not going to allow my own quality of life will be ruined so we can keep financing welfare for people who make poor life choices and should be able to take care of themselves, and make political payoffs to the unions who control our elections here. The state seems to be in a downward spiral, and it sure as hell isn't going to be broken by the likes of Malloy. He's accelerating it.
Great point!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2011, 06:23 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,893,067 times
$1.5 bill increase, JV is correct, surpasses Weicker. DM is doing the inverse of what wise governors do, which is cut, cut, cut, and cut again, and only after no more can be cut, bridge the gap via taxes.

Worse than Weicker for increasing taxes-Sort of like being a worse NBA team than Cleveland!

But at least the public unions will still love their leader, Dan Malloy! Nice to see someone get what they PAID for.

Old 03-13-2011, 07:52 PM

257 posts, read 607,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Raising taxes is never popular.

It seems it was more important to our last governor(s) to be cheered rather than dealing with the terrible budget issues the state has.
lol yes, lets make an even more unstable environment for consumers and businesses, thats the way to get it done.

Old 03-13-2011, 07:54 PM

257 posts, read 607,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Baloney. When Weicker instituted the income tax it went from zero to whatever the initial income tax rate was.

Look, again I'm on your side. I support middle class tax relief, affordable housing and a number of other things that will make it easier for middle class families in Connecticut. But the money has to come from somewhere to undo the years of financial abuse. There is no way to cut programs enough to do the job. Taxes have to go up.
Oh but it would be a good place to start.....

Old 03-13-2011, 07:59 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,893,067 times
stewarthaas, Are you not impressed by 150 job cuts from a workforce of 45,000? LOL 1/3 of 1 percent.

Can't you see that 6 figure AFSCME job in DM's future?

Old 03-13-2011, 10:19 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,833,334 times
Lol. Even my parents who lived in CT their whole lives are considering relocating due to cost of living and tax burden issues. New Hampshire appeals to them because its a more conservative New England state with NO individual income tax! But they are tied to family here, so I doubt they will even take any action. Last week I was at Cost Cutters and the hairdresser was telling me how their salon managers are pissed due to the proposed tax on haircuts!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut