U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Marijuana?
Yes, deciminalize it and allow it for suffering individuals. 42 87.50%
No, it's morally wrong and promotes drug use. 3 6.25%
Not sure yet. 3 6.25%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 10:13 AM

11,651 posts, read 11,556,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
What makes you think that people won't start abusing it like alcohol? Jay
It's already abused. It's the most widely used illicit drug today. I'd be willing to bet there are more pot-heads out there than alcoholics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2011, 10:23 AM

5,227 posts, read 4,694,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
What makes you think that people won't start abusing it like alcohol? Jay

Nothing, but they already do. On the other hand if its comprable to alcohol then either it should be legal or alcohol should be illegal.

Alot of the attraction to illegal drugs is the fact that theyre illegal. Just as alcohol use skyrocketed when it was banned. Also worth noting is the lower predominance of alcohol issues in countries where its less regulated.
We reward our citizens with alcohol with adulthood, so kids often start sucking it down as soon as they get old enough to buy it. Same with drugs.
Theres a thrill with getting away with something, even cigeretts. I'm fairly certain that the reason I picked up smoking cigs, weed & drinking as a teen was because the thrill trying to get away with it. Drinking & pot were much easier to stop than smoking but I have doubts I'd have ever tried any if not for the rebellious thrill involved. Alcohol tastes terrible initially, cigeretts are no fun at first & neither is pot really. In the course of two or 3 years I went from thinking all 3 disgusting to tolerating the obvious downsides to feel like an adult & strut my stuff. Of course I couldn't have been more wrong but it took more than a few years to realize that.

At any rate as I'v matured I'v come to feel I have no business telling others they cant ruin their lives if they choose to. I also have little desire to help people in that boat either & have come to realize that the cost to society created by worrying about & treating addicts is far greater than just letting them self destruct. Unfortunately they drag down those around them many times, but it sure doesn't look like our efforts are rewarded by a lessening of addictions & the problems they create. Given those facts it almost seems silly to not try another tactic & legalization is one we havent tried for a loooong time. Since before it was a problem really & thats telling as well. Most of the things we over regulate, from guns to drugs, seem to create MORE crime & tragedy than was going on before we had the govt involved.

Old 03-16-2011, 11:25 AM

8,156 posts, read 12,273,686 times
Why do I feel like no one is reading the thread and just replying with knee jerk assumptions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddb View Post
Yes, it can be manipulated...but if it's regulated (and with FDA-tested and -approved strains) and controlled, then I don't see the harm in something that can grow naturally and help someone in pain.
I know, that's what both Kidyankee and myself said. Few posts up basically that conversation took place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
Not sure I understand, a Dr. perscribes medication, the patient pays for it.

I'd be fine with outright legalization of it. Been years since I smoked any but its just a plant & a whole lot less harmfull to individuals and society as a whole than alcohol.
Again, few posts up you'll see my reply. For those on welfare, they get free healthcare so indeed this can be manipulated easily and you will have people getting high on the state dime.

Old 03-16-2011, 06:00 PM

5,227 posts, read 4,694,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post

Again, few posts up you'll see my reply. For those on welfare, they get free healthcare so indeed this can be manipulated easily and you will have people getting high on the state dime.
Yup, I'm guilty of not reading the entire thread. My apologies. But its irrelevant anyway IMO because I think it should simply be legal. I am opposed to limited legalization. For more than the reason you mention though. The pharmaceutical industry already has enough of a strangle hold on us & the cost of health care is largely due to that. Hard to let the market dictate the cost of something when its regulated like it is.
Legalize it medically & many people who need it will pay more than they would on the street I'd think. Its a plant, let people grow it in their garden, then its free and manipulated.

Old 03-16-2011, 07:02 PM

8,156 posts, read 12,273,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
Yup, I'm guilty of not reading the entire thread. My apologies. But its irrelevant anyway IMO because I think it should simply be legal. I am opposed to limited legalization. For more than the reason you mention though. The pharmaceutical industry already has enough of a strangle hold on us & the cost of health care is largely due to that. Hard to let the market dictate the cost of something when its regulated like it is.
Legalize it medically & many people who need it will pay more than they would on the street I'd think. Its a plant, let people grow it in their garden, then its free and manipulated.
Ahhh, got it. Agreed. My apologies back.

Old 03-19-2011, 05:46 AM

878 posts, read 1,273,589 times
Just heard a woman I went to HS with was found dead in a hotel room in NY state. She was always ADD, and claimed it (pot) helped her, but then the self righteousness and stoned induced "I'm the only smart one" attitude took over her life. She messed up a good life, got arrested more than once in front of her kid, one charge was risk of injury.... Heard she was stoned & drunk & almost hit the kid with a car.... Jumped parole etc etc etc .... Dead at 46

A life lived on pot can easily spiral out of control as your sense of appropriate and natural inhibitions go up in smoke

-------NO--------

Old 03-19-2011, 10:32 AM

11,651 posts, read 11,556,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seymourct View Post
A life lived on pot can easily spiral out of control as your sense of appropriate and natural inhibitions go up in smoke
And this can be said for anything. Sounds like this woman would be doomed WITHOUT pot in her life. People like that will always find a way...

Old 03-19-2011, 11:03 AM

603 posts, read 250,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seymourct View Post
Just heard a woman I went to HS with was found dead in a hotel room in NY state. She was always ADD, and claimed it (pot) helped her, but then the self righteousness and stoned induced "I'm the only smart one" attitude took over her life. She messed up a good life, got arrested more than once in front of her kid, one charge was risk of injury.... Heard she was stoned & drunk & almost hit the kid with a car.... Jumped parole etc etc etc .... Dead at 46

-------NO--------

That's not the conclusion I would have gotten out of that if your post was mine.

Any life can spiral out of control regardless of the substances you put in your body. You can't just draw that kind of conclusion. It also seems like that woman had problems with drinking in addition to smoking pot.

Drinking seriously impairs your judgment. Pot not so much. Also usually people with the "I'm the only smart one/sane one/everyone is out to get me" attitude are on something far more fierce than just pot.

I voted yes, however I do believe firmly that it should be regulated and not prescribed to people with self-diagnosed ailments or mild psychological problems like ADD.

Old 03-19-2011, 12:19 PM

19,023 posts, read 12,828,690 times
Seymourct, if you are alone in the dark, I can protect you

Old 03-19-2011, 01:16 PM

2,529 posts, read 2,489,237 times
If people want to get high and shribble up their brains, they can go right ahead.

I don't understand why Marijuana became illegal in the first place.

In my eyes liquor and cigerattes are more dangerous. Cigerattes kill you and basically suck the life force out of you every time you take a puff. Liquor pretty much destroys your kidney and forced cops to crack down on DUI and DWI.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut