U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 06:41 PM

120 posts, read 132,709 times

Advertisements

..what would I DO without City-Data?

So here's the final word. The spouse and I are moving to CT later this year, he for a job at Yale and I for a job that will be split b/w downtown New Haven, Ansonia and Hamden. We might buy a house if we get a great deal (3BR2BA2GR) under 300K, but will most likely end up renting a house for around 2K/month.

We're both professionals in our early thirties, no kids, but that is likely a couple of years down the line.

What we like: safe neighborhoods, grocery stores (including ethnic ones), farmer's markets, places to walk (trails/parks), a place that is diverse, friendly and safe, within a decent commute to work. A good school district is important only if we buy (for resale values, etc)

What we don't like: any place that would be unsafe to walk around in the evening, 'party' places, lack of greenery, places too far from basic shopping needs.

Any suggestions? Future colleagues have suggested looking at Hamden, Westville, Woodbridge, Orange, North Haven. Any good/bad words about these neighborhoods would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2011, 07:03 PM

3,601 posts, read 3,255,261 times
In your price range and for what you want , you will be priced totally out of Woodbridge and most of Orange. You can find homes in your range in the Westville section of New Haven, most of North Haven and many areas of Hamden.

I would suggest you work with a realtor and look into the Spring Garden section of Hamden. It has everything you want, is near everything and is known for a very close and friendly neighborhood atmosphere.

North Haven is a lovely town but you're not going to find many sidewalks for evening strolls in the typical subdivision.

Good luck

Old 03-14-2011, 07:35 PM

Thank you for the suggestions, willow wind! We are working with a realtor, but I'm also hunting online for homes..its a little tricky since we're not familiar with the neighborhoods.

Old 03-14-2011, 07:47 PM

8,156 posts, read 13,074,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplesque View Post

So here's the final word. The spouse and I are moving to CT later this year, he for a job at Yale and I for a job that will be split b/w downtown New Haven, Ansonia and Hamden. We might buy a house if we get a great deal (3BR2BA2GR) under 300K, but will most likely end up renting a house for around 2K/month.

We're both professionals in our early thirties, no kids, but that is likely a couple of years down the line.

What we like: safe neighborhoods, grocery stores (including ethnic ones), farmer's markets, places to walk (trails/parks), a place that is diverse, friendly and safe, within a decent commute to work. A good school district is important only if we buy (for resale values, etc)

What we don't like: any place that would be unsafe to walk around in the evening, 'party' places, lack of greenery, places too far from basic shopping needs.

Any suggestions? Future colleagues have suggested looking at Hamden, Westville, Woodbridge, Orange, North Haven. Any good/bad words about these neighborhoods would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Rule of thumb...anything IN New Haven that has "ville" in it...walk away.

300K? Best place for your money, North Haven. Expand into Wallingford as well. It's a nice town, everything you need, low crime, nice downtown etc. Branford too.

Old 03-14-2011, 07:58 PM

8,473 posts, read 9,837,373 times
Orange/Woodbridge/North Haven/Wallingford are all nice suggestions, but you won't really find much "diversity" in these towns. If diversity is truly important to you, Hamden would probably be the best compromise.

Old 03-14-2011, 08:22 PM

8,156 posts, read 13,074,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
Orange/Woodbridge/North Haven/Wallingford are all nice suggestions, but you won't really find much "diversity" in these towns. If diversity is truly important to you, Hamden would probably be the best compromise.
I don't disagree but have you been to Wallinford lately? Loooots of central Americans moving in. Markets all over the DT area etc.

Old 03-14-2011, 09:20 PM

Thanks, JViello, Stratford Resident!

We will continue looking in Hamden, North Haven and Wallingford.

And now you've made me think of what I really mean by "diverse". We're brown-skinned and have friends of assorted colors and cultures...I guess I'm thinking of a place that's welcoming and supports this way of living.

Old 03-15-2011, 07:53 AM

14,546 posts, read 23,172,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Rule of thumb...anything IN New Haven that has "ville" in it...walk away.

300K? Best place for your money, North Haven. Expand into Wallingford as well. It's a nice town, everything you need, low crime, nice downtown etc. Branford too.
I do not agree with the first part of this. Westville is one of the nicest parts of the City of New Haven.

I agree with North Haven and Wallingford. Branford is very nice but not convenient to Ansonia and Hamden. Milford may be good too for you to consider. Jay

Old 03-15-2011, 10:03 AM

195 posts, read 164,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplesque View Post

I would look at around downtown Milford if your planning to rent, it's only 15 minutes to NH and about 20 mins to Ansonia/Hamden...very walkable/safe and a great town to be around. You maybe able to also get a house for under 300k around here too.

Old 03-15-2011, 12:17 PM

7,216 posts, read 5,107,517 times
I have lifelong friends in Westville. It is the nicest neighborhood in New Haven, but is not totally immune to the typical urban problems that are associated with the city. Bad schools, high taxes and traffic congestion, have all been complaints. On the positive side, they have easy access to New Haven and all the city has to offer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut