Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 11:31 AM

52 posts, read 106,197 times

Advertisements

Homeschooling would be a very good option. I can get you a wealth of info if you want it. I realize this is an old thread now but if you're still looking for help and want to know more about homeschooling I know established families in the area from whom I can pass on info. Plenty of options for sports, group activities, networking with other parents and kids, etc. My son is gifted and ADHD and Glastonbury High (one of the best in the state) is not quite working... though they are doing their best, I must say. I am seriously considering homeschooling myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2013, 05:49 PM

11 posts, read 54,791 times
It's been over two years since I even looked at these posts. First of all, I am not one of those people who think twice exceptional children are a problem. I think that they are seen as problems by public schools!! If you ask me, I think these are the kids who have the potential to amazing things for our world!! CT schools offer nothing for these kids and it's very disappointing. Almost every state in our country require 'gifted' education and provide financial resources for these programs. Not this backward state. So disappointing!!

Old 06-06-2013, 06:26 PM

21,717 posts, read 28,042,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmot View Post
It's been over two years since I even looked at these posts. First of all, I am not one of those people who think twice exceptional children are a problem. I think that they are seen as problems by public schools!! If you ask me, I think these are the kids who have the potential to amazing things for our world!! CT schools offer nothing for these kids and it's very disappointing. Almost every state in our country require 'gifted' education and provide financial resources for these programs. Not this backward state. So disappointing!!
I went to a CT public high school and we had plenty of gifted programs.

Old 06-07-2013, 06:52 AM

34,913 posts, read 56,885,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
I do not think that gifted programs are touted here in Connecticut as much as they are in other states because our public education system has such high staandards anyway. The states that do push this tend to be the ones with generally lower standards so they need to promote the gifted programs to retain well performing students in their schools. Jay

Old 06-07-2013, 05:16 PM

1,195 posts, read 1,625,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Same here, as did my friends in other towns.

However, of those schools, ALL of them have since cut their gifted programs. They are often the first to go when the budget axe comes hunting.

Old 06-09-2013, 03:45 AM

4,537 posts, read 6,794,978 times
J

Old 12-21-2014, 12:02 PM

1 posts, read 773 times
Default Ecds

You should look at Easton Country Day School in Easton. It is hard t read by your post what challenges you face but speaking to Suellen Inglewood is a good use of time.

Old 12-02-2015, 02:31 PM

1 posts, read 598 times
Angry False information

ADHD is considered an identified disability in CT. It could also go as a 504 accommodation. Not all ADHD kids will be punished, and not all gifted students will be ignored. Many good districts have enrichment programs or even magnet schools focused on certain learning desires. Please get facts straight before posting. I work in the school systems and am very aware of what is available and legal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerAnthony View Post
The ADHD kid will just be punished via the "discipline chart" in a public school system with no thought or accounting as to individual differences and needs. ADHD is NOT considered by law to be a special need. Private schools can be much more accommodating and the kids get much more individual attention due to the smaller class sizes.

The gifted kid will be ignored in the public school as the entire push is for the "golden band" of kids who are a level 2 on the CMT to make it up to level 3. A child who is already performing well on the CMT will get lost in the shuffle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut