U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 03:07 PM

11 posts, read 27,331 times
Default Best schools for gifted/adhd kid

We are moving from Virginia to New Haven area sometime this summer. I have 3 boys, 12, 10 & 7. Two of them have ADHD and are gifted. The public schools are not working for them here in VA. I have got to find a good school for them in CT. Please help......any advice is greatly appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2011, 03:33 PM

14,153 posts, read 21,997,615 times
There are many towns that have good to excellent school systems in the New Haven area. A recommendation though would require more information such as where you would be working, how much you can spend, what you expect to get for your money and what type of community you would like to live in. The better performing schools in the New Haven area are in the suburbs. Towns like Woodbridge, Orange, Guilford and Madison are considered to be some of the better ones. You will however pay more for homes in these communities. The links below will give you more information on the schools systems in Connecticut. I generally look for a school system that performs above the state averages on the Connecticut Mastery and Connecticut Academic Performance Tests and has class sizes less than 23 students. Jay

http://www.csde.state.ct.us/public/d...8/district.htm

http://www.csde.state.ct.us/public/d...708/SCHOOL.HTM

Old 03-18-2011, 04:28 PM

Thanks for your info. We are looking in the suburbs of New Haven but I will move wherever I need to for the good schools for my kids. My husband will be working in New Haven. We will probably spend $500,000 on a house and can afford a moderately priced private school if need be. I am hoping that the public schools will be good enough but will do whatever it takes. Small classes are a must!!

Old 03-18-2011, 09:05 PM

14,153 posts, read 21,997,615 times
Connecticut has some of the best public schools in the country. They are always at the top. Whether they fit your particular needs however is a good question. I would suggest you talk with the schools and see what they offer.

In your price range you should find a nice home in the towns mentioned. Personally I like the shoreline towns east of New Haven (Branford, Guilford, Madison). They are very nice and charming and are great place to raise a family. There is train service to New Haven so the commute is not bad. There is a massive hhighway reconstruction project going on but from what people have told me it does not impact the drving commute. In fact, recent lane openings have made it pretty easy I am told.

Orange is very nice too. I am not sure what type of home you will find in your price range in Woodbridge though. Jay

Old 03-19-2011, 05:16 AM

647 posts, read 465,223 times
If your kids are ADHD and gifted they will likely not fit in in any public school. I say this as a public school teacher. Find a private school.

Old 03-19-2011, 03:40 PM

712 posts, read 407,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerAnthony View Post
If your kids are ADHD and gifted they will likely not fit in in any public school. I say this as a public school teacher. Find a private school.
Sadly true, but it's going to have to an expensive private school. Parochial schools will not work either.

Old 03-19-2011, 04:48 PM

1,416 posts, read 1,927,325 times
I'd be curious to hear why public would be better than private. Is it the ADHD, the gifted, or the combination of the two? The 1st two are not unusual at all. And really, isn't every kid in the affluent suburbs considered gifted?

Public schools HAVE to deal with your kids, private doesn't from what I've seen and heard - unless it is a special ed school and why would you want to send any kid that could function in a mainstream environment to one of those?

I have a 5 yo with ADHD (mild-to-moderate combined type) about to enter K. It should be interesting to hear an educator's perspective on the fight we are in for. We are specifically looking in Greenwich - only because we need easy NYC access for work.

Old 03-19-2011, 07:29 PM

Default Twice Exceptional Children & public schools

It will take a especially progressive public school to accommodate the needs of a gifted child with ADHD and possibly other learning disabilities. I just realized this when my 12 year old entered a very good public middle school in VA. It is a complicated issue and to be honest, I haven't found many teachers who understand the needs of these kids and the very special gifts that they offer. I suppose that is a conversation for another blog. I will be talking to the public schools in the towns we are looking at but would love a list of good private schools in the area with small classroom sizes and not religiously affiliated. Thanks.

What are the best year round swim teams in the new haven area??? I have a lot to consider but school will obviously come first!!

Old 03-20-2011, 06:29 AM

647 posts, read 465,223 times
The ADHD kid will just be punished via the "discipline chart" in a public school system with no thought or accounting as to individual differences and needs. ADHD is NOT considered by law to be a special need. Private schools can be much more accommodating and the kids get much more individual attention due to the smaller class sizes.

The gifted kid will be ignored in the public school as the entire push is for the "golden band" of kids who are a level 2 on the CMT to make it up to level 3. A child who is already performing well on the CMT will get lost in the shuffle.

Old 03-20-2011, 06:38 AM

4,772 posts, read 7,543,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmot View Post
can afford a moderately priced private school if need be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmot View Post
would love a list of good private schools in the area with small classroom sizes and not religiously affiliated.
I must warn you that private schools are quite expensive in Ct., expect to pay several thousand a year in tuition. Some are more expensive than colleges. And for some reason many private schools are Catholic, perhaps because Ct. residents percentage-wise are nearly half Catholic. But here are some lists just to get your started in your research:

New Haven/County Private Elementary Schools - Connecticut/CT - Private School Review

http://www.privateschoolreview.com/c...CT/county/9009

http://www.schoolfinder.us/?r=privat...ty=NEW%20HAVEN
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut