Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 09:57 AM

1,549 posts, read 3,055,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kannadiga View Post
Totally excited about the LAST snow of this winter.
Well, good luck on that! Curious winter as storms have been angling down thru PA, NJ, NYC and SW Ct. Usually these Alberta clippers come thru quickly and leave but 2-5 inches of snow. Not the usual line of travel for heavier winter storms. Rarely does SW Ct get as much snow as NW Ct, NCentral Ct, NE Ct, NW R.I. and for that matter Central Ma. As long as we don't receive an April Fools storm as we did 5-6 years ago. NE Ct and NW RI received 30+ inches of snow in that storm!

Old 03-23-2011, 01:30 PM

83,520 posts, read 75,307,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
Interesting side note, both my wife and I are working in Stamford today, me downtown right near the Sound, her up a little north of the Merritt. Here it never "stuck" (looks like it rained outside), but she said to me at 7:45am when she arrived at work it was starting to stick to cars and grass. That's just a few miles apart, amazing contrast!
Yeap....and even the trees were coated. So you went from seeing all wet to a dusting white scenery within a few miles. The Merrit is amazing like that...lol.. I been on the road all day..I'm lost with updates.. I think the bulk of it starts soon

Old 03-23-2011, 01:51 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,032,639 times
We've still gotten NO snow here in West Hartford and I just noticed that the warning banner on Weather.com, which read 5 to 8 inches of snow over the next 36 hours, has just changed to 1 to 3 inches. Hmmmmm. Looks like my "master plan" is working...!

Last edited by DawnMTL; 03-23-2011 at 02:05 PM..

Old 03-23-2011, 02:05 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,032,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
We've still gotten NO snow here in West Hartford and I just noticed that the warning banner on Weather.com, which read 5 to 8 inches of snow over the next 36 hours, has just changed to 1 to 3 inches. Hmmmmm. Looks like my "master plan" is working...!
I spoke a few minutes too soon. It's snowing now, but they're still saying 1 to 3 inches.

Old 03-23-2011, 03:03 PM

What happens when you mix Spring with Winter? Tornaos and thunderstoorms in PA right now are severe... That storm is the storm that will be over us tonight...

Did this thing slow down? Or maybe shear taking place? I know northern Jersey got half foot from this mornings light banding..

At least its after the eve commute. Stay safe.

Old 03-23-2011, 03:50 PM

576 posts, read 1,219,022 times
Geez been snowing outside all day and still no snow sticking to the ground just wet. Thank goodness! Hope it's stays that way. Better be

Old 03-23-2011, 04:44 PM

6,130 posts, read 5,098,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
What happens when you mix Spring with Winter? Tornaos and thunderstoorms in PA right now are severe... That storm is the storm that will be over us tonight...

Did this thing slow down? Or maybe shear taking place? I know northern Jersey got half foot from this mornings light banding..

At least its after the eve commute. Stay safe.
Is it too early to say "big bust" after all the buildup for this one?

Old 03-23-2011, 05:49 PM

Storm is starting right now...should last all night while you sleep. We're lucky it didnt happen for rush hour.

Use this link to see reports from the NWS. So far Essex in NJ and Orange in NY has had the most "accumulated"... Most of the precip might stay to our south now... (mother nature)

So again... I'm sticking with Nothing over 5". This is not a blizzard or a "Snow Storm" hence why I titled it "Winter Storm".. I knew there was going to be a mix of everything.

The Layer between 2000-6000 feet staying cold so thats why its snowing... Surface temps dropping now so sticking should be happening (grass,back roads, trees)

National Weather Service Text Product Display

edit: Central PA just had Thunder with sleet and snow. Thats sick.

Old 03-23-2011, 06:37 PM

Had to double check. Yes, the storm has shifted south and weaker. So those Northern Tier I talked about will now get less. The southern Tier will get less as well

Maybe time to let this thread fade away... Mother nature has put a twist on things..... totals cut in half so I'm sure many people are thrilled about that... You might wake up to a dusting or an inch or so... Can't believe just 100 miles West of us got half foot. Wow... We got Lucky?

Last edited by Cambium; 03-23-2011 at 07:33 PM..

Old 03-23-2011, 07:38 PM

11,298 posts, read 18,888,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Had to double check. Yes, the storm has shifted south and weaker. So those Northern Tier I talked about will now get less. The southern Tier will get less as well

Maybe time to let this thread fade away... Mother nature has put a twist on things..... totals cut in half so I'm sure many people are thrilled about that... You might wake up to a dusting or an inch or so... Can't believe just 100 miles West of us got half foot. Wow... We got Lucky?
Remember I told you about the strange storm in Feb. 2010 where instead of a rain/snow line that goes north/south, it went east/west (with the NY/CT border almost literally being that line? And the rain was east of it and the snow west).

I think that kind of happened at least with the "daytime" version of this storm, except that line might have been the NY/NJ border this time. The 5pm snow totals showed only a Trace in Bridgeport and Central Park and Islip on Long Island, but 1" at Newark and JFK airports (and even 0.1" at LaGuardia). I know that driving home to southern Westchester from Stamford I saw no accumulation anywhere either (this was around 3pm).

Now what makes the 1" total at Newark Airport interesting is just a few miles west in Caldwell spotters recorded 7". So strange storm!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut