U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-29-2011, 10:43 AM

8,481 posts, read 9,850,402 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgorfain View Post
Steak is easy to grill at home (though you'll never get the steakhouse char and juciness from a restaurants commercial 1500 degree fire.)
I've found it helpful to trim some fat off the steaks, pierce it, and lay it on the grill for the charring fireball effect.

I don't recommend that trick on a windy day though.

Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2011, 10:44 AM

10,688 posts, read 8,068,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post

Nice! I hope you have an external vented hood. LOL
Let's put it this way. I bought a new construction house and installing an external vented hood of my choice was a mandatory in the buying negotiations.

Old 03-29-2011, 10:52 AM

8,156 posts, read 13,084,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkiv808 View Post
Let's put it this way. I bought a new construction house and installing an external vented hood of my choice was a mandatory in the buying negotiations.
I had the same standard during my renovation. Well, that and converting to gas.

I did one of the chimney hoods with the glass canopy, and a 600cfm exhaust fan. It's nice to be able to flame grill right on the cooktop.

It's almost identical to this one:

Old 03-29-2011, 11:17 AM

1,438 posts, read 1,252,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
ctwhitechin - I know you are in Glastonbury so I will let you know I agree with you. Check out the pizza at Highland Park Market. It is surprisingly good. The restaurant at Minnichaug Golf Course also has good pizza or at least they use to. A couple of good pizza places in the Hartford area are Harry's in West Hartford, Vitos in Wethersfield and Luna. For bagel, Bagelz are better than anythign I found in NY but not much else good in Glastonbuyr for baked goods. Jay
tried that at Highland Park, it was "ok" whole foods better to us. Giovanni's we did not like, Luna Pizza either. Bagelz on Hebron ave makes an "OK" bagel, a little chewy though they can't seem to get that down to where the crust is nice and crisp and the inside is soft but not doughy, hard to describe. I'll have to check out the places in W. Hartford, just don't feel like driving 20 minutes for a bagel. And don't even get me started on Bruggers, Dunkin Donuts, I don't even think those are bagels.

Oh and those of you that venture to Long Island ever, just let me know. I was there 2 weekends ago, food as good as I remember, but still don't regret moving to CT. For the best Bagel, place called "BAGEL BOSS" down there cannot be beat. Real Kosher place and they put enough cream cheese on a bagel to choke a horse.

Old 03-29-2011, 11:25 AM

12,485 posts, read 12,713,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctwhitechin View Post
the crust is nice and crisp and the inside is soft but not doughy, hard to describe.
That's a Montreal bagel! I can't get people to understand what I mean, either. I'm not going to say that Lox, Stock, and Bagels has exactly that, but it's the only bagel in CT that doesn't make me choke.

Old 03-29-2011, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
That's a Montreal bagel! I can't get people to understand what I mean, either. I'm not going to say that Lox, Stock, and Bagels has exactly that, but it's the only bagel in CT that doesn't make me choke.
Oh I know exactly what you mean. You get that initial crunch and a nice soft inside. Good times.

Old 03-29-2011, 11:46 AM

12,485 posts, read 12,713,081 times
*clicks her ruby-red heels *

There's no place like home, there's no place like home, there's no place like home...

Old 03-29-2011, 11:58 AM

10,688 posts, read 8,068,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
I had the same standard during my renovation. Well, that and converting to gas.

I did one of the chimney hoods with the glass canopy, and a 600cfm exhaust fan. It's nice to be able to flame grill right on the cooktop.
Very nice. Mine's not quite as dramatic of a design, but I did a Ventahood which is 600cfm. They claim 900cfm equivalency to other hoods for whatever reason. Not sure of the science there, but it does work nicely and looks fantastic.

Old 03-29-2011, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkiv808 View Post
Very nice. Mine's not quite as dramatic of a design, but I did a Ventahood which is 600cfm. They claim 900cfm equivalency to other hoods for whatever reason. Not sure of the science there, but it does work nicely and looks fantastic.
It's the Italian engineer/fabricator in me. I can't help myself. You should see the counter to ceiling travertine backsplash that goes 19 linear feet around the hood, kitchen window etc. I tend to over do things when it comes to details and design. Heh... My wife just shakes her head and walks away.

Actually believe it or not, the place I got it from in CA was about half the cost of many other units I looked at and that kind of sealed the deal. I agree, they work great. I went from a 6 speed sports car to a 6 speed range hood. ROFL.

Old 03-29-2011, 04:17 PM

14,564 posts, read 23,197,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctwhitechin View Post
tried that at Highland Park, it was "ok" whole foods better to us. Giovanni's we did not like, Luna Pizza either.
See I think Whole Foods is too fancy for my taste. More to me like basic NY pizza. I also do not like Giovanni's (a.k.a. the Hooters of Glastonbury). I use to think it was okay but now think it is horrible. Not sure if they changed the way it is made, if they premake it and just reheat or if my tastes have improved. Luna is okay but different. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut