U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-24-2011, 10:28 PM

10,688 posts, read 8,068,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
New Haven, Manchester, Fairfield, Uncasville
Frank Pepe's (World famous, one of the best pizzas in the world)
If you're ever in New Haven, be sure to try Sally's and Modern some time. Sally's might be pizza from the gods themselves. Unfortunately, it's more dive-y than Pepe's and the service isn't as good. But that pizza. Oh, that pizza...
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2011, 10:38 PM

577 posts, read 589,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Well, I was just being playful but if we are going to get serious about it here is my take on Capitol.

The hotdogs are so overcooked they are like chewing on a rubber garden hose, the chilli sauce or whatever the hell it is is reminiscent of what my cat left in the box after eating a rotten mouse and every time I've eaten there I've gotten the trotts. The place looks like it hasn't been cleaned in the 80 years it's been there so I guess it's not surprise.

Some places rest on their laurels and fade over time. IMO Capitol is one of them.
Well I can say there is some days that the hotdog didnt taste as I was a little kid thats when it goes down (except the rubber story you made-up). But there many days that taste really good to me, I would get three hotdogs and load of fries.

But whatever, New Britain my town I live in it and I happened to love what I ate growing up.

Old 03-24-2011, 10:42 PM

10,688 posts, read 8,068,953 times
I actually dig Super Duper Weenie in Fairfield for hot dogs, and I don't care for hot dogs generally. The hot dogs themselves are nothing special, but the relish and toppings they make in-house are awesome.

Old 03-24-2011, 10:49 PM

577 posts, read 589,651 times
Although I dont eat sea food, but there is a place Called The Blue Lobster Restaurant located in Berlin, CT.

My family always loved their food. May wanna try it out all you sea-food lovers

Old 03-25-2011, 03:02 AM

14,567 posts, read 23,197,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkiv808 View Post
I actually dig Super Duper Weenie in Fairfield for hot dogs, and I don't care for hot dogs generally. The hot dogs themselves are nothing special, but the relish and toppings they make in-house are awesome.
Funny you should mention Super Duper Weenie. A couple of weeks ago I was up early on a Sunday morning and caught a home improvement show called Ron Hazelton's House Calls. I have seen it occasionally in the past. The show follow Ron as he goes around doing home improvement projects and fixing things for people. In this show he mentioned that he went into town and had lunch at his favorite hot dog joint, the Super Duper Weenie. They showed him there and sure enough it was the same place. I never knew he was from the area and films his show there. They often show his home which looks like a Connecticut house and opening shots of him driving around look familar like maybe Greenfield Hill, Easton, Weston or Redding. Now I record the show and watch it to see if there are any other local references. Jay

Old 03-25-2011, 06:10 AM

1,053 posts, read 1,117,489 times
Quote:
Fong's??? that place has been there forever but I would not call it great food. It is basic Chinese American that is not really worth going out of your way for (though my wife loves their shrimp with lobster sauce for some reason and will stop there when in Middletown). I use to eat there often in my single days since I lived right around the corner. JViello - didn't you live near Fong's too? What did you think of it? Jay
admittedly not super high quality cuisine overall but their chinese reminded me a lot of Green Tea in it's lack of 'heaviness' if that makes sense. probably just a simple lack of MSG but it's better than a lot of places imo. i do know i don't like their hot dogs - the casing is too thick.

Old 03-25-2011, 06:40 AM

12,055 posts, read 12,836,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipperman View Post
admittedly not super high quality cuisine overall but their chinese reminded me a lot of Green Tea in it's lack of 'heaviness' if that makes sense. probably just a simple lack of MSG but it's better than a lot of places imo. i do know i don't like their hot dogs - the casing is too thick.
This reminds me - Jeffrey's Chinese Kitchen in Danbury has absolutely amazing Chinese food (take-out only).

Old 03-25-2011, 07:20 AM

8,156 posts, read 13,084,253 times
Quote:
JViello - You blew me away with this list. Who would have thought there would be so many great places in little old Hartford. A lot of them I know and have been to but there are some I do not know. Thanks for the list. May have to check a couple of them out.
Yep, and that's not all. I didn't include places like Tamarind, Arch Street Tavern, Hook & Ladder, Coaches, Kashmir, Casa Mia etc because while they are good, I think they are just average.

The fact that we have an honest to God Paninoteca (Bocca Rossa) downtown and not some cheesy Panini shop is impressive. They are all the rage and staple in modern Italy.

I've been *this* close to opening a food establishment in the past as one of my passions is food. Actually, I wanted to do a gourmet food truck like you see in other cities like Portland, LA, Frisco etc and CT sorely lacks. Something akin to this:

SPENCER ON THE GO French Take-Away- San Francisco

If any venture capitalist are reading this and want to be the first to take the city by storm, shoot me a message. We can do it for under $100K.

My current business services a lot of those listed. I solicite business by eating there first. I've actually gotten to know a lot of the owners and work on their homes as well.

Quote:
JViello - didn't you live near Fong's too? What did you think of it? Jay
Yea, just a family owned run of the mill Chinese place IMO. I ate there because I could walk around the corner to it. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkiv808 View Post
If you're ever in New Haven, be sure to try Sally's and Modern some time. Sally's might be pizza from the gods themselves. Unfortunately, it's more dive-y than Pepe's and the service isn't as good. But that pizza. Oh, that pizza...
I have to agree with this. Sally's is still killing it. Pepe's - at least the Manchester location has gone downhill in a big way. It's really been a sore spot with me. lol

Last edited by JViello; 03-25-2011 at 07:41 AM..

Old 03-25-2011, 07:25 AM

14,567 posts, read 23,197,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Yea, just a family owned run of the mill Chinese place IMO. I ate there because I could walk around the corner to it. lol
Me too. Though last year DW and I rediscovered it when we were in the area. And as I said my wife likes their shrimp with lobster sauce (because it is a brown sauce not white) so now she goes there for lunch when she is in the area. Go figure. Jay

Old 03-25-2011, 07:43 AM

79 posts, read 115,554 times
SW Ct. sort of ignored so far on this thread, so here are some nominations

Stamford
American: Napa and Company
Italian: Columbus Park, Aria, Emme
Pizza: Colony (hot oil sausage)
Indian: Tawa, Coramandel, Chili Chicken
Morrocan: Fez
French; La Bretagne (most forgotten excellent restaurant in SW Ct)
Middle Eastern: Tabouli Grill
South American: Brazita's
Mexican: El Charrito taco truck
Diner: City Limits
Japanese: Fin II
Thai: Little Buddha (also best takeout in city)
Hamburger: Burger Shakes and Fries (Darien and Byram)
Scene: Baang
Breakfast: Lakeside for pancakes and cinnamon donuts or City Limits for great egg interpretations.

New Canaan
Locovore: Farmers Table
American: the new menu at Roger Sherman Inn
French: Bonne Nuit
Chinese: Chings Table
Indian: Thali
Hamburger: Cherry St. East
Breakfast: Rosies (Huevos rancheros)
Italian: Cava (now that Aloi is no more)

Other outstanding restos in lower FFD
The Schoolhouse in Cannondale
Nicholas Roberts in Norwalk
Rowayton Seafood

Biggest hole: Aside from the chain steakhouses, (Mortons and Capitol Grille in Stamford) no great American Steakhouse. Surprising in one of America's most affluent turfs, Greenwich, Darien, New Canaan, Stamford) which is filty with corporate and financial barons, movers and shakers. But not a great moo to be found. Chucks and Giovanni's are suburban mediocre.

Indeed Greenwich and esp. Darien don't compare to Stamford, New Canaan in culinary excellence and diversity.

Last edited by lgorfain; 03-25-2011 at 07:53 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut