U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-25-2011, 06:47 AM
 
Location: Fairfield County, CT
11,886 posts, read 12,270,363 times
Reputation: 3266
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgorfain View Post
Indeed Greenwich and esp. Darien don't compare to Stamford, New Canaan in culinary excellence and diversity.
When I was living in Greenwich in the earlier part of the decade I was very disappointed with the dining options. We would often head to Stamford or White Plains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-25-2011, 06:52 AM
 
Location: New England
8,156 posts, read 12,726,487 times
Reputation: 3164
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
When I was living in Greenwich in the earlier part of the decade I was very disappointed with the dining options. We would often head to Stamford or White Plains.
Why you bein all negative and hatin on Greenwich.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-25-2011, 06:59 AM
 
Location: Fairfield County, CT
11,886 posts, read 12,270,363 times
Reputation: 3266
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Why you bein all negative and hatin on Greenwich.
LOL, don't get me wrong, Greenwich is an awesome town. But for being one of the most affluent towns in the nation, it's lacking a bit when it comes to food, and what is there is extremely overpriced. I do like Upper Crust bagels in Old Greenwich and Aux Delices in Riverside for catering though.

Speaking of catering, Susan Kane in Stamford is absolutely fantastic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-25-2011, 07:01 AM
 
Location: Out in the stix
1,318 posts, read 1,149,544 times
Reputation: 724
another good one I just remembered in South Glastonbury is "Char Koons" on Rt. 17 by Gardners' market. It is billed as "Pacific Rim Cuisine", good mix of chinese, thai, japanese, etc. I had a dish there of prawns with melon in a white sauce. Sounds like it wont work but it was outrageous.

Carbone's in Hartford for Italian is excellent as well

Morton's in Hartford tough to beat for a good steak, way better than Ruth Chris to us anyway.

this one you wouldnt call a restaurant but Whole Foods in Glastonbury has some outstanding pizzas/sandwiches/salads.

Also, Sharpe Hill Vineyards in Pomfret has an outstanding restaurant, you need to make reservations weeks in advance, I'm not a fan of CT wines, they are too light for me but their restaurant is amazing, food was tops, I recommend the lamb chops or the shrimp creole. A little pricey and out of the way though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-25-2011, 07:02 AM
 
Location: Central Connecticut
577 posts, read 552,298 times
Reputation: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
I've been *this* close to opening a food establishment in the past as one of my passions is food. Actually, I wanted to do a gourmet food truck like you see in other cities like Portland, LA, Frisco etc and CT sorely lacks. Something akin to this:

SPENCER ON THE GO French Take-Away- San Francisco

I remember we had things like this in Connecticut when I was a child and my grandma and my mother would get food from these trucks every morning to work. Now that made me think, what happened to these FOOD-TRUCKs!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-25-2011, 07:05 AM
 
Location: Fairfield County, CT
11,886 posts, read 12,270,363 times
Reputation: 3266
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctwhitechin View Post
this one you wouldnt call a restaurant but Whole Foods in Glastonbury has some outstanding pizzas/sandwiches/salads.
I tried Whole Foods in Milford a few times and I found their food to be bland and, some of it, downright nasty. JMO though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-25-2011, 07:10 AM
 
Location: New England
8,156 posts, read 12,726,487 times
Reputation: 3164
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
LOL, don't get me wrong, Greenwich is an awesome town. But for being one of the most affluent towns in the nation, it's lacking a bit when it comes to food, and what is there is extremely overpriced. I do like Upper Crust bagels in Old Greenwich and Aux Delices in Riverside for catering though.

Speaking of catering, Susan Kane in Stamford is absolutely fantastic.
Honestly, I'm finding Greenwich lacking in many areas these days. As I said in other threads, I'm really surprised the locals are not more "on it". Perhaps that's all they want in the town is a vanilla wrapper on a gold bar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctwhitechin View Post
another good one I just remembered in South Glastonbury is "Char Koons" on Rt. 17 by Gardners' market. It is billed as "Pacific Rim Cuisine", good mix of chinese, thai, japanese, etc. I had a dish there of prawns with melon in a white sauce. Sounds like it wont work but it was outrageous.

Also, Sharpe Hill Vineyards in Pomfret has an outstanding restaurant, you need to make reservations weeks in advance, I'm not a fan of CT wines, they are too light for me but their restaurant is amazing, food was tops, I recommend the lamb chops or the shrimp creole. A little pricey and out of the way though.
CharKoon is exactly as you described IMO and very good. I love their Rainbow Chicken.

As for the wine, I really enjoy going to Sharp Hill and appreciate their wines, but based on what you said, you really have to go to Chamard. Their reds are fantastic and overall have more depth.

Chamard Vineyards - Welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelic_Avalon View Post
I remember we had things like this in Connecticut when I was a child and my grandma and my mother would get food from these trucks every morning to work. Now that made me think, what happened to these FOOD-TRUCKs!
I honestly don't remember them. I do remember roach coaches everywhere. lol Maybe they were regulated out of town?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-25-2011, 07:19 AM
 
Location: Central Connecticut
577 posts, read 552,298 times
Reputation: 184
^ Oh we had food truck in New Britain. And I'm not sure if they're around?

Now all I see is that annoying ice cream truck and thats pretty much it LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-25-2011, 07:19 AM
 
79 posts, read 110,960 times
Reputation: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelic_Avalon View Post
I remember we had things like this in Connecticut when I was a child and my grandma and my mother would get food from these trucks every morning to work. Now that made me think, what happened to these FOOD-TRUCKs!

As mentioned, El Charrito in Stamford is excellent, featured on Food network's America's Top Food Trucks. Carlos and Alex (wife) are fantastic couple (he's on the grill, she's taking orders) and their hurauche is world class. Right next to Jackie Robinson park. Line is filled with cops, strippers, construction workers, bankers, and bikers.

Also the food trucks in New Haven (such as the access road off 95 by the water) are really good.

What we don't have yet as far as I know are the gourmet food trucks that are all the rage on the Left Coast and Manhattan and Brooklyn (cf the old Tavern on the Green space in Central Park.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-25-2011, 07:23 AM
 
Location: New England
8,156 posts, read 12,726,487 times
Reputation: 3164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelic_Avalon View Post
^ Oh we had food truck in New Britain. And I'm not sure if they're around?
Stanley closed. That's probably what happened. No customers, no food.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgorfain View Post
What we don't have yet as far as I know are the gourmet food trucks that are all the rage on the Left Coast and Manhattan (cf the old Tavern on the Green space in Central Park.)
Exactly. It's not just the left coast, you'll find them in DC, NC, FL, GA etc as well. We just don't have any here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top