Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2013, 09:03 PM

754 posts, read 1,018,041 times

Advertisements

Lol nope just awful caf food! Any other spots worth checking out that are close by?? Thanks for tips.

As for mom she's on day 26 of a bone morrow transplant but so far hanging in there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2013, 09:12 PM

21,751 posts, read 28,077,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixum View Post
Lol nope just awful caf food! Any other spots worth checking out that are close by?? Thanks for tips.

As for mom she's on day 26 of a bone morrow transplant but so far hanging in there.
Glad to hear. There are tons of food options. Very close to the hospital, not much for brick and mortar. Blue State Coffee has great coffee. The food carts line up on Cedar Street for over a block. Must be 40-50 of them on an average day. Every ethnicity represented, and cheap/high quality stuff. The Korean and Vietnamese carts are great. Ay Arepa and Tacuba are also excellent, as well as Thai Awesome. Haven't tried much else.

Once you get into downtown near where Prime 16 is, there are lots of options. There tends to be more good food than bad, so I guess it just depends on what you're craving.

Old 10-17-2013, 09:27 PM

Thanks man! Appreciate it... Any good taco trucks or grinder shops?

Old 10-17-2013, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixum View Post
Thanks man! Appreciate it... Any good taco trucks or grinder shops?
Yes, several of the carts serve good tacos. Tacuba, La Carreta. There are a couple others.

Grinder shops, not so much. I'm not saying there aren't the options, I've honestly just never tried. Book Traders has good sandwiches. Meat & Co. just opened and has good ones too. Skappo Merkato has amazing Italian sandwiches/panini's.

There's also the Long Wharf taco trucks, of course. I like both the yellow trucks.

Old 10-18-2013, 11:57 AM

Anyone have agave in Hartford? Got it for lunch and really enjoyed the tacos!

Old 10-18-2013, 01:59 PM

627 posts, read 1,058,342 times
Anyone try the new Belgian cafe that opened in the Broadway area of New Haven?

Old 10-18-2013, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackfu View Post
Anyone try the new Belgian cafe that opened in the Broadway area of New Haven?
I've gone there for lunch a couple times. Mixed feelings. It's pricey, gorgeous space/design. The Belgian waffles are good but very expensive for the small amount of food you get. I felt the same about the sandwiches. Bread is very fresh, everything tastes great, portions are a bit ridiculous for the price.

The exception being the breakfast sandwiches I had there. The bacon avocado egg sandwich was one of the best breakfast sandwiches I've ever had, and not too pricey.

Old 10-18-2013, 05:47 PM

2,918 posts, read 3,230,555 times
Not in CT, but so close it's worth mentioning for any northern fairfield co. members (and of course others if you care to drive!). Right across the border, on NY rte 22 and just north or the I-84/684 interchange is a great Mexican restaurant called las Mananitas (sp?). Be forewarned though: if you immediately think and crave tacos, burritos, fajitas, etc. when you hear Mexican, this might not be the place for you -- I don't remember seeing any of those dishes on the menu. Always packed, so be prepared to wait. It will be worth it (note: I've only been once so far, and the dish I had was phenomenal -- it was a duck entree, and a special that night. I'll update again after I've had a chance to sample some more!)

Old 10-20-2013, 07:22 AM

413 posts, read 1,106,087 times
Do they cook with a lot of chocolate?

Old 10-20-2013, 12:58 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,987,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalalally View Post
Not in CT, but so close it's worth mentioning for any northern fairfield co. members (and of course others if you care to drive!). Right across the border, on NY rte 22 and just north or the I-84/684 interchange is a great Mexican restaurant called las Mananitas (sp?). Be forewarned though: if you immediately think and crave tacos, burritos, fajitas, etc. when you hear Mexican, this might not be the place for you -- I don't remember seeing any of those dishes on the menu. Always packed, so be prepared to wait. It will be worth it (note: I've only been once so far, and the dish I had was phenomenal -- it was a duck entree, and a special that night. I'll update again after I've had a chance to sample some more!)
That place looks great. Very similar to what you'd find at an upscale "business/entertaining" traditional restaurant in Mexico City, where I lived for a bit. Entrees are less expensive than Maya in Manhattan, which has been my NYC-metro gold standard for that kind of Mexican dining. FWIW, I'm guessing they serve warm tortilla as "bread" with the entrees so if you absolutely felt the need you could make your own taco (not cool, however). As a CT transplant now in Pittsburgh, I'm kinda annoyed that someplace like Brewster is home to this when I can't get close to this kind of food in a top-25 metro.

Will have to make a trip up there next time I get back to CT. Maybe in two weeks, even.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut