Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2013, 02:47 PM

21,756 posts, read 28,086,032 times

Advertisements

If you like Indian food, you must try Tikkaway in New Haven.

I'm in love with this concept. It's basically a Chipotle-like ordering setup with Indian food. Even for people that are hesitant about Indian food, it's a great way to dip your toes in. It's also priced really well.

The place has been packed at lunch pretty consistently.

The people behind it are from Coromandel and Kolam (and wonderfully friendly), so it's no wonder that it's so good as they are among the best Indian restaurants in the state.

Another good concept in the same vein is Piada in Milford. Same idea, but with Italian food. Love these quick healthy options that are a bit more flavorful than your average salad joint.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2013, 03:00 PM

627 posts, read 1,058,490 times
Will have to try there.

There's also a high-end sandwich place next to 116 Crown run by the same people called Meat & Co.
Meat & Co - New Haven, CT

I want to try it but unfortunately for me it's only open at lunch on weekdays (maybe using the same staff as 116 Crown?) and I'm not downtown then.

Old 11-20-2013, 03:11 PM

Meat & Co isn't bad. The ingredients are very high quality. They're a little skimpy on the meat part though.

Best sandwiches in New Haven that I've found so far are Skappo Merkato, Zoi's, P&M, and Book Traders. Next to try: Vito's.

Old 01-21-2014, 06:19 PM

2,918 posts, read 3,231,092 times
Any fans of middle eastern in danbury area? If so, definitely give Kiberia (sp?) a try. It's on mill plain, just east of the mill plain/aunt hack intersection. Lacking in atmosphere (think cafeteria style dining) but food is great. Baklava is awesome too. My usual ME standard is Tabouli in Stamford, which is great and one of my go to places for lunch. Kiberia is definitely comparable in quality, just not as "gourmet-ish"

Old 01-21-2014, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalalally View Post
Any fans of middle eastern in danbury area? If so, definitely give Kiberia (sp?) a try. It's on mill plain, just east of the mill plain/aunt hack intersection. Lacking in atmosphere (think cafeteria style dining) but food is great. Baklava is awesome too. My usual ME standard is Tabouli in Stamford, which is great and one of my go to places for lunch. Kiberia is definitely comparable in quality, just not as "gourmet-ish"
Yeah, I liked Kiberria. Not super authentic, but a great quick healthy option for Danbury. I believe they opened one in Westport too.

I absolutely adore Sababa in New Haven, which is another lunch quick service middle eastern type place. In there, they have the meat up on the spit and the toppings are phenomenal.

Olive Tree in Milford is good for Middle Eastern too, and Mamoun's in New Haven. Also Layla's Falafel in Fairfield.

Been meaning to try Istanbul Cafe in New Haven, or the Alibaba cart - hear both are great.

Old 01-21-2014, 07:03 PM

Sounds like you're a fan of M.E.!, -- if you find yourself in Stamford, definitely give tabouli a shot. It's in the bulls head strip mall, just north of and next to bulls head diner on high ridge. Small dining area, but excellent food. I think there may be a location in Westport too, but I've never been to that one. There's s a Layla's near my office -- it's good, but I prefer taboulis hands down.

Old 01-21-2014, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalalally View Post
Sounds like you're a fan of M.E.!, -- if you find yourself in Stamford, definitely give tabouli a shot. It's in the bulls head strip mall, just north of and next to bulls head diner on high ridge. Small dining area, but excellent food. I think there may be a location in Westport too, but I've never been to that one. There's s a Layla's near my office -- it's good, but I prefer taboulis hands down.
Will do! I hear The Fez is good too?

Old 01-21-2014, 07:20 PM

Never been, but my former boss loved it!

Old 01-21-2014, 07:26 PM

P.s., I just checked and the other Tabouli location is southport, not Westport. Again, never was at the second location, so I can only vouch for the Stamford one.

Old 01-21-2014, 07:46 PM

Oh yeah, I've seen the one in Southport - always meant to check it out. When I'm there I tend to gravitate towards Coromandel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut