Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2017, 09:24 AM

830 posts, read 1,092,430 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider111 View Post
Wouldn't even know where to start there's so many places now with outdoor/sidewalk dining. If you like waterfront - Arezzo, Crabshell, Sunset Grill, Sono Seafood, another one in Harbor Point don't remember the name. Food is not the greatest at these however. Our favorite Rowayton Seafood has outdoor dining upstairs, crowd is so stuffy and pretentious though you can cut the tension in the air with a knife, excellent food though which is rare for waterfronts.
Lol I love the food at Roywaton seafood, crowd doesn't bother us. But twice recently we've had reservations and still couldn't get outside tables, its a pain when trying to shuttle a newborn around. Ended up at Sails across street both times which was fine but not as good as Rowayton seafood and pricier (we prefer their Nantucket restaurant Lola 41).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2017, 09:27 AM

21,722 posts, read 28,055,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allanny13 View Post
Lower FFC ideally, live in Darien, work in Greenwich, but will often go to Westport/Fairfield, even up to Ridgefield for dinner.

The problem we've had is being able to actually reserve outdoors, guaranteed, rather than first come first serve, or "we'll make a note."
Bartaco, Jesup Hall, Geronimo's (Fairfield), Harlan Publick, The Chelsea, Rothbard, Sedona, Pearl at Longshore, Rive Bistro just off the top of my head.

Many more options east of FFC if you're willing/able/have reason to travel.

Last edited by Stylo; 07-10-2017 at 09:11 PM..

Old 07-10-2017, 10:28 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,178,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allanny13 View Post
Lol I love the food at Roywaton seafood, crowd doesn't bother us. But twice recently we've had reservations and still couldn't get outside tables, its a pain when trying to shuttle a newborn around. Ended up at Sails across street both times which was fine but not as good as Rowayton seafood and pricier (we prefer their Nantucket restaurant Lola 41).
yep, was there last week, just as stuffy and as great as ever.

Old 07-13-2017, 10:52 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,830,727 times
This is not necessarily a food destination, but something I noticed while visiting other "worthy food destinations"

There is a Subway directly across the street from "Franklin Giant Grinder" on Franklin Ave in Hartford. Not sure who thought this was a good idea, because Giant Grinder has been there at least since the 80's.

There is a Dominoes Pizza directly across the street from Pepe's Pizza in West Hartford. I bet Dominoes wasn't too thrilled when they opened up, but I don't think Pepe's has delivery, so maybe it doesn't matter [to Dominoes].

Old 07-14-2017, 10:21 AM

21,618 posts, read 31,186,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
This is not necessarily a food destination, but something I noticed while visiting other "worthy food destinations"

There is a Subway directly across the street from "Franklin Giant Grinder" on Franklin Ave in Hartford. Not sure who thought this was a good idea, because Giant Grinder has been there at least since the 80's.

There is a Dominoes Pizza directly across the street from Pepe's Pizza in West Hartford. I bet Dominoes wasn't too thrilled when they opened up, but I don't think Pepe's has delivery, so maybe it doesn't matter [to Dominoes].
Yeah - different clientele (Pepe's vs Dominoes)

Old 07-15-2017, 09:33 AM

Dominos focus is on delivery, and they're open very late.

Old 07-17-2017, 08:12 AM

32,923 posts, read 36,323,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Dominos focus is on delivery, and they're open very late.
That, and cheap, sometimes wins. My son orders that stuff.

Old 07-17-2017, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
That, and cheap, sometimes wins. My son orders that stuff.
Yup and probably terrible for you. Not that pizza is healthy but Dominos is full of processed and artificial garbage

Old 07-17-2017, 02:13 PM

24,557 posts, read 18,235,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Yeah - different clientele (Pepe's vs Dominoes)
We did Harry's Pizza in West Hartford last week. It was totally average. Not a "do over" anytime soon. Is the West Hartford Pepe's a pretty good approximation of a top New Haven pizza?

My girlfriend likes the Blaze chain. Artisanal individual pizzas at reasonable that taste good. Unfortunately, the Connecticut locations are Storrs and New Haven and we're not going to drive that far for a pizza. Is there anything comparable in West Hartford or nearby?

My entry:
Taste of India in West Hartford a few blocks south of the center is quite good. We had the mixed vegetarian appetizer platter, Karahi Paneer which is a spice blend I'd never had before, and tandoori shrimp masala. Everything was fresh. Prices were reasonable. Things ordered "medium" and "hot" were actually medium and hot. I'll go back there again. The other two places we tried in West Hartford were not at that level. India in Blue Back Square was bland and very pricey for the quality level. Mount Everest Spice in New Britian was awful. Maybe it was an off night but anything fried was in old oil and was overcooked. You needed a chainsaw to cut through the samosa. Everything else was bland.

It was covered a page or two back but Max Burger is very reliable.

I was delighted to find that you can get a real baguette at The Hartford Baking Company. As a breakfast / lunch food stop, it's excellent.

We've otherwise been kind of disappointed with the dining in West Hartford Center. It's expensive for very average food quality and service. I realize rents and labor costs are high but I expect better at that price point.

Pho Saigon on New Britain Ave is good. We haven't worked our way through the Vietnamese options yet.

It's not restaurants but the Royal Indian Grocery and the A Dong Asian market both work well for me. I cook a lot of Asian and Indian at home. They have what I'm looking for.

Old 09-21-2022, 03:36 PM

Been a long time since this thread has been revisited. Wanted to update with some newer restaurants I've discovered since then I'd categorize as pretty fantastic. The majority have been in New Haven. A step above most, some exceptional.

Sushi
Rockfish - New Haven

Japanese
Hachiroku - New Haven
Menya Gumi - New Haven

Mexican
Ay Guey - Stratford
Los Tacos Gordos (temp. closed) - New Haven

Pizza/Italian
Strega - Milford
Next Door - New Haven
Nolo - New Haven
Atticus Market - New Haven (pizza on weekends)
Zeneli - New Haven
Pasta Eatalia - New Haven

Sandwiches/Etc.
Atticus Market - New Haven
AM Bagel - Derby
Sprout Juice - Milford

Seafood
Fair Haven Oyster Co. - New Haven

British
Gruel Britannia - Fairfield

New American
Oar & Oak - Stratford

Chicken Sandwiches
Oar & Oak Birdhouse - Stratford
Haven Hot Chicken - New Haven

Middle Eastern
RAWA - New Haven
Midpoint - New Haven

Indian
House of Naan - New Haven
Sherkaan - New Haven

Asian
Mama Chow - Southport

I have not avoided other areas. I've just found New Haven to be quite the foodie powerhouse lately. In fact, we've eaten a lot on the eastern shoreline and in Fairfield County. Just haven't been super impressed with anything, honestly.

I hope to try Grano Arso and Arethusa Al Tavolo soon as I've heard so many good things. Also am very intrigued by RSVP.

Last edited by Stylo; 09-22-2022 at 12:54 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut