Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 07:20 PM

1,351 posts, read 2,692,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTCitizen View Post
I love this place! There's another location on Rt. 6 in Farmington, near the Bristol line.
what i always wondered is why is it Green Tea was so unsuccessful in that same location even though IMO they had the best Chinese in the area. Joey Garlic's comes in and though very good, they are just another one of a zillion pizza places in the area but somehow manage to be mobbed all the time. good for them but i wish Green Tea was still around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2011, 07:31 PM

576 posts, read 1,219,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Well "dear", I "dare" to say it because the chilli sauce reminds me of something that comes out of the backside of a "deer".

Actually, it just gives me the beaver shoots everytime I eat it. It may just be me, but that's been my experience. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice shame on me. Maybe third time is a charm? I don't think I want to find out.
I think anybody who hates capitol lunch are just something wrong with their tongue.

But at least 80% of people likes the hotdog. You just the rare one.

Old 03-24-2011, 07:44 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,006,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelic_Avalon View Post
I think anybody who hates capitol lunch are just something wrong with their tongue.

But at least 80% of people likes the hotdog. You just the rare one.
Well, I was just being playful but if we are going to get serious about it here is my take on Capitol.

The hotdogs are so overcooked they are like chewing on a rubber garden hose, the chilli sauce or whatever the hell it is is reminiscent of what my cat left in the box after eating a rotten mouse and every time I've eaten there I've gotten the trotts. The place looks like it hasn't been cleaned in the 80 years it's been there so I guess it's not surprise.

Some places rest on their laurels and fade over time. IMO Capitol is one of them.

Old 03-24-2011, 07:49 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,006,712 times
Adding a couple more to the thread.

Meriden

Ted's Steamed Cheeseburgers

Zorba's Greek Restaurant - Killer Prime Rib

The Little Rendezvous - New Haven's Pizza Stepchild Total hole in the wall, WTF where did THIS come from place. The oven was built in 1888.

Old 03-24-2011, 08:50 PM

680 posts, read 1,576,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Very cool place.

I forgot to add:

New Milford
The Cookhouse (BBQ)
+1 best ribs I've tried in CT

Old 03-24-2011, 08:55 PM

21,756 posts, read 28,086,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konig1985 View Post
+1 best ribs I've tried in CT
Try Jeff's Cuisine in Norwalk too, his memphis style ribs are amazing, and he's a super good guy (often offers my friends and I food to try or free beers when he's in the store).

Weirdly enough, I've heard rumors that the Lazy Lobster in Milford serves really good ribs, but I haven't built up the courage to eat ribs at a place that sells seafood too.

Old 03-24-2011, 08:59 PM

21,756 posts, read 28,086,032 times
Some relevant videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uf5wuBgjKGU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHUVJ_Z3_gU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkoD567H0lw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEsG3mrcTAg

Never been to Wilson's, has anyone?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mIHKkf4Fao

Last edited by Stylo; 03-24-2011 at 09:08 PM..

Old 03-24-2011, 09:01 PM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipperman View Post
what i always wondered is why is it Green Tea was so unsuccessful in that same location even though IMO they had the best Chinese in the area. Joey Garlic's comes in and though very good, they are just another one of a zillion pizza places in the area but somehow manage to be mobbed all the time. good for them but i wish Green Tea was still around.
It does get crowded. I must say though the last time I ate there I was not as impressed as the first few times. I guess I did not order something as good this time. It was just a large portion and only okay in taste. Maybe next time it wil be better. Jay

Old 03-24-2011, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Ha you beat me to it! I've been wanting to do one of these for over a year now.

Hartford:

Black Eye'd Sally's BBQ and Blues

Churrascaria Braza, Fantastic Brazillian

On20 Restaurant. One of the most cutting edge in the state on the 20th floor.

Firebox - Comtemporary American.

Bin 228 Panini and Wine Bar

Bocca Rossa - Upscale European Wine Bar

Trumbull Kitchen. Contemporary Fusion

Max Downtown - Upscale American

Dish Hartford - Contemporary American (http://www.dishbarandgrill.com/dishhome.html - broken link)

Feng Asian Bistro

IchiBan - Korean

Saigon Kitchen - Casual Vietmanese

Koji - Modern Asian (New Haven location as well)

Abyssinian Ethiopian - Upscale Ethiopian

Indian - Chef quality, fine dining

Costa del Sol - Spanish Cuisine/Tapas

Piolin Restaurant - Peruvian (http://www.piolinrestaurant.com/ - broken link)

Carbones - Excellent Italian, area staple

Vito's By the Park - Italian (http://www.vitosct.com/park/park.htm - broken link)

Peppercorns - Italian

Vivo - Modern Italian

Hot Tomatos - Italian/American

Salute - upscale casual Italian

Tapas - Mediterranian

Aladdin - Arabic/Mediterranean Deli

O' Porto - Upscale Portugese

Vaughan's Public House - Irish Pub and Restaurant. Owned by an Expat Irishman

The Half Door - Irish Gastro Pub

McKinnon's Irish Pub - Pub and grub.

City Steam Brewery and Cafe

Tisane Euro Asian Cafe

Morton's. Yea it's a chain, but it's still Mortons

Agave - Modern Mexican

El Sarape - Traditional Mexican. Fantastic

Take 5 Cookery - Gourmet "lunch" cafe.

Woody's Hot Dogs - Don't laugh, it's here for a reason

Polish American Home - Traditional Old World Polish Food

I don't think I'm forgetting any off the top of my head...

Just about all of these are downtown, and it's not a comprehensive list by any means - I selected what I feel are the "best" or "better" places. Keep in mind West Hartford is about 2 miles away with another huge stock of high end restaurants.

The Hartford region is if anything not lacking in the culinary department...by far. Enjoy.
JViello - You blew me away with this list. Who would have thought there would be so many great places in little old Hartford. A lot of them I know and have been to but there are some I do not know. Thanks for the list. May have to check a couple of them out. Forgot to add these:

Wetherfield
Vitos (great deep dis pizza, garlic clam too)
Village Pizza (god snadwiches & burgers)

New Haven, Manchester, Fairfield, Uncasville
Frank Pepe's (World famous, one of the best pizzas in the world)

Old 03-24-2011, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipperman View Post
Middletown
Fong's
Fong's??? that place has been there forever but I would not call it great food. It is basic Chinese American that is not really worth going out of your way for (though my wife loves their shrimp with lobster sauce for some reason and will stop there when in Middletown). I use to eat there often in my single days since I lived right around the corner. JViello - didn't you live near Fong's too? What did you think of it? Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut