Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2011, 08:33 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,006,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkiv808 View Post
Which Plan B was the first?

It was good, service was very good. Prime 16 is like the Rolls Royce of hamburgers. It's just out of this world, the only burger place in CT I've been to that stacks up to the best in NYC.

Pepe's definitely managed to maintain 90% of their quality in their expansion. The first few weeks in Danbury were a little iffy, but they're on point now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I do not agree with you about Frank Pepe's. The Manchester location is every bit as good as the original IMHO. Fairfield can be as good but I did have a bad pie there once. I have not been to their other locations so I can't comment on them.

I do agree about City Fish though. Jay
I gave up on Pepe's in Manchester. I'm just not okay with paying $25 for a piece of overcooked cardboard that IMHO is nowhere near the original. There are several local places that I find are actually better than what I got at this Pepe's location for half the price. (Woodbridge, Mulberry etc)

Maybe things have changed in the last year, but that was my experience almost every time I was there so I just stopped going. Mexican guys just tossing together the pies, clueless young girls upfront etc etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2011, 01:29 PM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
I gave up on Pepe's in Manchester. I'm just not okay with paying $25 for a piece of overcooked cardboard that IMHO is nowhere near the original. There are several local places that I find are actually better than what I got at this Pepe's location for half the price. (Woodbridge, Mulberry etc)

Maybe things have changed in the last year, but that was my experience almost every time I was there so I just stopped going. Mexican guys just tossing together the pies, clueless young girls upfront etc etc.

Not my experience at all and we have been going there just about once a month since it opened in Manchester. Also I grew up on the original in New Haven so I can say it is as good. Their clam pies are great. I will agree it is not cheap and that there may be other local places that are cheaper but they will be different. Jay

Old 09-22-2011, 01:42 PM

21,756 posts, read 28,086,032 times
It is not cheap, but only the large clam pizza is $25. I'm usually out of there with 2 larges around $35. Not cheap, but not THAT much off from other good pizza places in CT. And large is HUGE.

Never been to the Manchester location, but New Haven, Fairfield, Danbury and even Mohegan Sun have been excellent for me. Admittedly, Mohegan was probably the most disappointing. And I've only had clam from the original location.

Old 09-23-2011, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Not my experience at all and we have been going there just about once a month since it opened in Manchester. Also I grew up on the original in New Haven so I can say it is as good. Their clam pies are great. I will agree it is not cheap and that there may be other local places that are cheaper but they will be different. Jay
Jay, it's not about cheap. Come on. I too grew up eating Wooster street pizza. (I actually prefer Sally's.)

If you guys are happy at Pepe's Manchester, that's great. For me it's been a different experience. It's just not the same as New Haven IMO and that's now the only place I'll go for it. You should take a trip to NH someday just to see if you've "adjusted" to what they do up here.

Quote:
It is not cheap, but only the large clam pizza is $25. I'm usually out of there with 2 larges around $35. Not cheap, but not THAT much off from other good pizza places in CT. And large is HUGE.

Never been to the Manchester location, but New Haven, Fairfield, Danbury and even Mohegan Sun have been excellent for me. Admittedly, Mohegan was probably the most disappointing. And I've only had clam from the original location.
Well there you go! No honest point of reference.

As for the price, I just double checked what we would normally get to be sure I'm not going crazy or my memory is going soft.

Large pie $15.50
Salami (or other meats.) $3.95
Mushrooms $3.65

$23.10
$1.46 tax

$24.56 Total for one pizza with two toppings. I don't mind paying, but it better be worth it.

I find the local place down the street is putting out a perfectly acceptable product to this Pepe's location for about $10.00 less. On Tuesdays they do $8.99 large and with toppings it's $12.00 so we do Pizza night most Tuesdays. ( http://www.woodbridgepizzaco.com/cs/...&ssbinary=true )

Old 09-23-2011, 07:56 AM

Wow, talk about a need for a website redesign.

Old 09-23-2011, 08:04 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,032,639 times
It's funny that you guys are debating pizza because, of all the food groups (yeah, I like to think of pizza as its own food group, it's that good ), pizza is the most subjective.

I've learned to never ask, when new to a city or town, "who has good pizza?" They're never "right." One man's treasure is another man's trash when it comes to pizza, it seems.

PS. For me, Harry's Bishops Corner was fabulous. I say "was" because I'm not living in CT anymore. I miss Harry's.

Last edited by DawnMTL; 09-23-2011 at 08:15 AM..

Old 09-23-2011, 10:44 AM

Pizza can often be overrated. Like this time I went to John's on Bleeker Street in NYC. So much hype, such lame pizza.

NH pizza and the famous NYC joints are world renowned, so I think it's another case. These places are well known as some of the best there are. The people that don't like them are in a pretty small minority.

Old 09-23-2011, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
It's funny that you guys are debating pizza because, of all the food groups (yeah, I like to think of pizza as its own food group, it's that good ), pizza is the most subjective.

I've learned to never ask, when new to a city or town, "who has good pizza?" They're never "right." One man's treasure is another man's trash when it comes to pizza, it seems.

PS. For me, Harry's Bishops Corner was fabulous. I say "was" because I'm not living in CT anymore. I miss Harry's.
This is true. But I'm sure you'll find a decent place in Worcester. If not, it's only an hour ride or so back to WH. Could make for a fun "night out".

Quote:
Pizza can often be overrated. Like this time I went to John's on Bleeker Street in NYC. So much hype, such lame pizza.

NH pizza and the famous NYC joints are world renowned, so I think it's another case. These places are well known as some of the best there are. The people that don't like them are in a pretty small minority.
I always say Pizza (Yes I capitalized. lol ) is like sex. Even when it's bad, it's still pretty good.

Old 09-23-2011, 10:56 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,032,639 times
Quote:

You're right but I've just stopped trusting people with important decisions like pizza.

Oh, and with sushi! Everyone raved about Ginza in Bloomfield for sushi. My husband and I went... average at best. No, wait. I wouldn't even say it was average. It was simply edible. That's it. It was all hype as far as we were concerned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
This is true. But I'm sure you'll find a decent place in Worcester. If not, it's only an hour ride or so back to WH. Could make for a fun "night out".

Or... 45 minutes if we're really, really hungry! (And if the Mass Pike doesn't act like a ******.)

Old 09-23-2011, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Oh, and with sushi! Everyone raved about Ginza in Bloomfield for sushi. My husband and I went... average at best. No, wait. I wouldn't even say it was average. It was simply edible. That's it. It was all hype as far as we were concerned.

Or... 45 minutes if we're really, really hungry! (And if the Mass Pike doesn't act like a ******.)
LOL You can always head into Boston for Santarpio's or Regina.

ITA on Ginza for sushi. The best I've had in CT was at Mikado in Middletown.

The BEST I've had ever was at Iron Chef Morimoto's place in Philly. Ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut