Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 10:47 AM

21,529 posts, read 27,765,355 times

Advertisements

You probably already looked at this place?

627 Chapel St New Haven CT - Home for Rent - MLS #N312404 - Realtor.com®
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2011, 01:39 PM

4,933 posts, read 10,606,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kauffie View Post
mkiv- thanks. will do.

starla - wow. providence is not a gang scene at all. i think probably because of distance from nyc, we do not see this. this is, however, a mafia driven town, or so it seems. and therefore probably more blue color type crime, extortion, RICO type stuff. petty theft in the form of car vandalism. but gang would be the wrong term. it seems as you've pointed out, our downtown is smaller and less influenced by brown than yours is by yale.

what do you mean here? " kind of can't believe how much we got up to in our younger days"??
Then you would notice a gang presence here in New Haven. Shootings, drug turf type stuff. Here are some links, although some of the comments in the first one are a bit hysterical:

New Haven Warnings or Dangers - Travel Safety Tips - VirtualTourist

"R2" Gang Leaves Trail Of Violence | New Haven Independent

Re: what I got up to in my younger days, you'll have to read the book and it would have to be published anonymously.

I agree that, if possible, you should try to avoid New Haven, especially if you are not from the area and familiar with it. Milford sounds like your best bet. I actually think that you would be happiest in Fairfield county, in the Stamford area, but it would probably give you a commute that is much longer than you would like.

Old 03-28-2011, 02:02 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,767,849 times
Some pets allowed New Haven listings here:New Haven Rental Listings | Condomiums, Apartments and Homes for rent in New Haven, CT. Unfortunately, parking isn't available for most of these units.

Old 03-28-2011, 02:05 PM

21,529 posts, read 27,765,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
Then you would notice a gang presence here in New Haven. Shootings, drug turf type stuff. Here are some links, although some of the comments in the first one are a bit hysterical:
Meh, only parts of New Haven would you ever notice such things. Those are parts you just plain don't live in. Much of the city is fine despite some areas being high crime.

Old 03-28-2011, 02:22 PM

34,666 posts, read 56,446,318 times
Quote:
I'm sort of quickly coming to that conclusion.

I'll be based out of Griffin Hospital in Derby, and to a much lesser degree Yale Hospital in NH.

How far away can I get and maintain a 30 min drive each way?

Where do you suggest?

It seems traffic would be limiting a person to live between New Haven and Bridgeport and Waterbury. Of course, I could be wrong.
This complex is located in Shelton and reminds me of the building you lived in in Providence. Since you are going to be working at Griffin more, this would be very convenient. I am not sure its policy on pets and it is not located in a downtown area but it is still very nice. Check it out. Jay

Your Renaissance Awaits

Old 03-28-2011, 02:35 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,702,071 times
Good choice, Jay- The Renaissance permits a dog up to 20 pounds.

Old 03-28-2011, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willow wind View Post
Good choice, Jay- The Renaissance permits a dog up to 20 pounds.
It's high-end, but if the OP was sour on Avalon Milford due to its location, they'll find the Renaissance even less appealing.

Old 03-28-2011, 02:57 PM

4,933 posts, read 10,606,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkiv808 View Post
Meh, only parts of New Haven would you ever notice such things. Those are parts you just plain don't live in. Much of the city is fine despite some areas being high crime.
Very true. As I stated, a lot of it is overstated. However, it does depend on what one is used to.

Old 03-28-2011, 03:13 PM

34,666 posts, read 56,446,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
It's high-end, but if the OP was sour on Avalon Milford due to its location, they'll find the Renaissance even less appealing.
I do not agree. Avalon Milford is located in a primarily industrial area right off I-95 and very near a major truck stop. Renaissance is located in a corporate style office park away from the highway. It is at the top of a hill so there are nice views. I think Avalon Milford overlooks a concrete plant. It should at least be considered. Jay

Old 03-28-2011, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I do not agree. Avalon Milford is located in a primarily industrial area right off I-95 and very near a major truck stop. Renaissance is located in a corporate style office park away from the highway. It is at the top of a hill so there are nice views. I think Avalon Milford overlooks a concrete plant. It should at least be considered. Jay

I'm just going by the OP's initial statement that they desired an area where they didn't have to drive to restaurants and such.

Quote:
I am a single guy in my early 30s and would like to be in more social and desirable locations with a minor shopping, restaurants, and dives in walking proximity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut