Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2011, 03:21 PM

9 posts, read 29,400 times

Advertisements

We're considering a move to Farmington CT and have 2 elementary-school-age kids. They are coming out of a great school and I want to try to find the best school in Farmington so that they don't miss a beat. (I did notice that Avon's schools rank higher but Avon felt too remove for me.) Does any particular elementary school in Farmington stand out above the rest?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2011, 07:09 AM

34,914 posts, read 56,893,272 times
All of the schools in Farmington are excellent. Because our schools systems in Connecticut are small, the school curriculum is fairly uniform across the entire system. For information on schools in Farmington check the link below. It should give you an idea of which schools perform better than others but I truly believe that all of the schools would offer your children a good education. Jay

State Department of Education - CEDaR

Old 03-29-2011, 01:17 PM

2,643 posts, read 2,621,505 times
What Jay said. Farmington schools are excellent. And if anyone in any CT town tries to tell you that their elementary school is better than the cross town one(s), they are reaching for something to brag about.

Old 03-29-2011, 02:59 PM

9 posts, read 29,400 times
well in my town there are some differences even though they all rank highly. For example, one has white boards in all the classrooms and air conditioning and none of the others do. So even though they are all great schools, there might be differences worth noting...

Old 03-29-2011, 08:47 PM

2,643 posts, read 2,621,505 times
We have that situation in our district as one school is so old the building codes don't allow for the Smart Boards. On the flip side, that school will be replaced with a brand spanking new building in a few years.

Old 03-29-2011, 10:57 PM

7,514 posts, read 13,608,655 times
My granddaughter has been in Farmington's schools since Kindergarten, now in 9th grade. Her elementary was East Farms. It is an excellent school and provided her with many opportunities to excel. I don't recall if it had A/C or not, but should not be much of an issue with CT's winter weather !

If you haven't already, you should review each school's profile at Farmington Public Schools Also be aware that all 4 elem's are K-4th. All 5-6th graders attend West Woods Upper Elem, which is a new (2002) facility with all the latest amenities (even an elevator !) Then all 7-8th grade is at Robbins Middle (which is across the street from East Farms).

Old 03-30-2011, 06:11 AM

13 posts, read 141,738 times
As others have said, all the elementary schools are great. For that reason, I'd concentrate on finding a house in a neighborhood you like best. Good luck with the move.

Old 04-02-2011, 02:41 PM

1 posts, read 4,545 times
I went to West District (most of the district is in the Unionville part of Farmington, near Canton/Burlington), and I loved it. It is the smallest district, so it has smaller class sizes. And all of the teachers are nice!

Old 04-06-2011, 11:41 AM

20 posts, read 48,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citymomcountrymom View Post
We're considering a move to Farmington CT and have 2 elementary-school-age kids. They are coming out of a great school and I want to try to find the best school in Farmington so that they don't miss a beat. (I did notice that Avon's schools rank higher but Avon felt too remove for me.) Does any particular elementary school in Farmington stand out above the rest?

We just moved from Farmington a year ago (husband got a new job out of state). Farmington schools are excellent. I miss them tremendously. My kids went to Union School. Class sizes were small (average 18-20 per class), the staff is excellent and it has a wonderful sense of community. I think Noah Wallace and East Farms have larger class sizes. But again, all are excellent.

Any advantage Avon has over Farmington is erased by the fact that Avon's school age population as exploded in recent years and they simply don't have the schools to house them properly. There are only 2 elementary schools Roaring Brook and Pine Grove.

Good luck.

Old 04-07-2011, 12:22 PM

35 posts, read 879,147 times
Both Avon and Farmingtons elementary schools are among the best in the State. I'm not sure where did you get that Avon's are ranked higher, but there seem to be very different ranking out there. Based on Schooldigger.com, Union School is ranked #21 out of 550 elementary schools in CT, highest ranking among all other Avon/Farmington schools. But I'm sure there are some other ranking that say the different. But overall, you won't go wrong with Farmington schools. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut