Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 08:27 AM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuJu83 View Post
The worst parts of Bridgeport, in my opinion, are the projects called "The Marina," and the neighborhood called P.T. Barnum.

I would avoid living near those two areas.

You would be best to visit Bridgeport before making any decisions about moving there.
"The Marina" is the Marina village which is in the south End and P.T. Barnum is in the West End (bordering Black Rock). I agree that both are not good places to live. Funny though, Barnum is very close to Black Rock which is one of the nicest parts of the city. There is a Stop & Shop near there and my family does not feel unsafe going there and they are very suburban type people. Jay

Old 03-30-2011, 08:31 AM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetsNY View Post
But JayCT as someone who knows a lot about Bridgeport, I will tell you that Downtown is a ghost town, especially when compared to cities of similar size in this state: Hartford, New Haven, Stamford even Waterbury to some extent.

There is a lot of vacant office space downtown and while there is some revitilization going on, I'm not even sure how much of that space will actually be occupied.

When you drive through downtown Bridgeport it's depressing. It can be so much more.
I don't know, I see a lot of people downtown now going to restaurants or some of the shops. You are right it has a long way to go to become a New Haven or Hartford but it certainly is on its way. Even during the recent downturn in the economy things are still improving and that says a lot. When the economy picks up you will see a lot more. Jay

Old 03-30-2011, 08:50 AM

21,615 posts, read 31,180,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I don't know, I see a lot of people downtown now going to restaurants or some of the shops. You are right it has a long way to go to become a New Haven or Hartford but it certainly is on its way. Even during the recent downturn in the economy things are still improving and that says a lot. When the economy picks up you will see a lot more. Jay
Really? What's your definition of "a lot", because it still seems pretty dead to me. People have been saying for years that Bridgeport is improving, but I have yet to see any proof of this.

Old 03-30-2011, 09:10 AM

21,722 posts, read 28,048,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by original_bookgirl View Post
No offense, I've never visited and am getting dodgy advice. Is there really a super bad area of Bridgeport? I have no clue, and am looking for one. I know all cities have so-called rougher areas, but Bridgeport seem so affluent?
Thanks for your assistance in getting me straightened out on what's what.
The entire eastern section, most of the southern section, and most of the central section are pretty bad. Only Black Rock and the more suburban neighborhoods bordering Fairfield and Trumbull are any good. Bridgeport is NOT affluent by any means.

No offense to those that live there, but Bridgeport barely offers anything except a few good ethnic restaurants and some bars in Black Rock. Oh, and a zoo.

It's also a terrible place to buy real estate since the taxes are extremely high.

Old 03-30-2011, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Really? What's your definition of "a lot", because it still seems pretty dead to me. People have been saying for years that Bridgeport is improving, but I have yet to see any proof of this.
The old downtown where the Majestic theater resides is still all boarded up. Pretty sad.

Old 03-30-2011, 09:13 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qna1JHIsyVM

Old 03-30-2011, 09:47 AM

1,231 posts, read 2,686,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkiv808 View Post
The old downtown where the Majestic theater resides is still all boarded up. Pretty sad.
The palace and majestic are actually run down but still fairly beautiful inside... the problem with them is the rumors of ghosts....ooo take a picture inside a dark dusty building with a flash and you'll get "orbs" of dust lit up in your picture frame.. then tell some fool it's ghosts, and poof group think takes over and all believe the place is haunted..., throw in the real life story of a man killed 80/90 years ago in the hotel above the theater... and it's all done for most folks.... the other major problem is NO PARKING downtown... how can anyone revitalize if there are so few SAFE parking garages...The city was built when there were cabs and trolleys.

But are there parts of Bpt that are BAD....yes.. but it is hardly all of it.

Old 03-30-2011, 10:03 AM

243 posts, read 773,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
"The Marina" is the Marina village which is in the south End and P.T. Barnum is in the West End (bordering Black Rock). I agree that both are not good places to live. Funny though, Barnum is very close to Black Rock which is one of the nicest parts of the city. There is a Stop & Shop near there and my family does not feel unsafe going there and they are very suburban type people. Jay
I have never felt unsafe in really any parts of Bridgeport and I've been through it all. Just because people don't feel unsafe doesn't mean it isnt a high crime area.

No one is going to rob you at Stop and Shop and no one is going to be dealin' drugs in front of Stop and Shop either. If you walk down residential blocks though it will be a different story.

For instance walking around the University of Bridgeport is not unsettling, but a few blocks up is Marina Village, I don't think you would feel comfortable walkin through the projects.

Same goes for other industries. There is one of the largest shipyards in the nation in Bridgeport located on the East Side. There is also a number of industrial companies and scrap/junk yards etc. Many contractors go their on a daily basis, but I don't think they would be walkin' down Seaview Avenue or Malcolm X Boulevard.

Also, let's be real. Daytime is a lot different from nightime. I wouldn't want to be anywhere on the East Side, South Side or even some parts of Downtown in the middle of the night.

Old 03-30-2011, 12:42 PM

58 posts, read 175,421 times
Check out these videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tXPAIB1fog

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vSDLCU2Pj4

Old 03-30-2011, 12:52 PM

I've seen those vids. REALLY selective shots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut