Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 06:10 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,900,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILTRAD View Post

Fairfield was suggested earlier. Are there any other towns that fit the OP's criteria for family friendly, social neighborhoods? I'm guessing being on a smaller lot helps because you have more, closer neighbors. I'm not expecting a new best friend, but I enjoy neighborly small talk and other families with kids playing outside with our kids.
Try a "cluster housing development", like Great Oak Farm in Monroe. The houses are on small lots close together, and people often move there just so they can have that "neighborly" feeling, and let their kids all play together on the quiet streets. Great Oak Farms has periodic gatherings for it's residents, like an annual fishing derby, etc. Fairfield county overall doesn't have a large amount of this type of housing development, though.

Great Oak Farm Residential Community in Monroe, CT
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2011, 07:10 AM

44 posts, read 191,543 times
I would strongly suggest southern Riverside / Old Greenwich and perhaps parts of Cos Cob based on your requirements

Old 04-01-2011, 08:42 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,137,017 times
There is a lot of anti-Gold Coast bias on this board, so let me give you a different perspective. In my opinion, you could not do better by your kids than to live in Westport...

I lived in Trumbull from 1978-1988 and Westport from 1989-1995. I am planning a move back to Westport after this summer. I remain with active friends and relatives in both towns. Trumbull is a lovely town... Picturesque and bucolic in parts. The schools are good and the opportunities for family recreations are plentiful.

However, Westport, has schools that are unique and exemplary. Few high schools are better respected by top university admissions processes. The high school offers everything from and indoor field house and pool to horticulture lab to FM radio station run by the students. Loads of AP courses are offered and more importantly critical thinking skills are woven throughout the curriculum. Is there pressure? Sure. Is it overbearing or overwhelming? No.

Community is built in a lot of ways. I lived in Austin for college and afterwards till I move back to Connecticut last year. I never talked to my neighbors with more than a passing wave or hello... In many towns, like Trumbull and Westport, community is built through school events, where you see friends and neighbors, going to the beach, or the kid's soccer games. High school football games in Westport are well attended by the community. People have active membership and interest in arts groups. When my last book was published (I write for computer programmers), I spoke at the local Barnes & Noble and wound up chatting with old neighbors for a couple of hours after the presentation.

I would urge you to consider Westport in the strongest terms. Read the blogs by people who live in the town. Tour Staples High School. Go check out the beach. See what the town recreation department offers. Look back on the blogs to see what was happening Christmas season. I don't mean to lead you to believe that Westport is a town without issues-- but no town on your list or suggested here can lead to better opportunities for your kids. Staples High School opened doors for me and provided connections that are still part of my network today.

It's not Texas, but, I bet you'll find yourself happy here, wherever you choose to live.

Old 04-01-2011, 08:45 AM

21,621 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
There is a lot of anti-Gold Coast bias on this board, so let me give you a different perspective. In my opinion, you could not do better by your kids than to live in Westport.......
It's not Texas, but, I bet you'll find yourself happy here, wherever you choose to live.
Aside from your claims that Westport is as close to utopia as a community can get, you failed to address the OP's concerns regarding a family-friendly area with outgoing neighbors. Sorry, that's not Westport.

I grew up in New Canaan, and lived in Fairfield. What they're seeking doesn't exist in lower FFC. It's not being anti-Gold Coast, it's being realistic.

Old 04-01-2011, 08:50 AM

323 posts, read 634,067 times
mama11: I've had experience with both areas. Fairfield is more "preppy", with some run down areas pretty close by. The schools are good, but not known to be as stellar (as residents claim) as the other schools. CT is more conservative, a bit more withdrawn. This is not always because they are unfriendly, its just the CT mentality. Give people their privacy and don't do anything too outrageous.

You will be just as cullture shocked coming to this area, which is why we are soon heading south!

Old 04-01-2011, 08:52 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,137,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Aside from your claims that Westport is as close to utopia as a community can get, you failed to address the OP's concerns regarding a family-friendly area with outgoing neighbors. Sorry, that's not Westport.

I grew up in New Canaan, and lived in Fairfield. What they're seeking doesn't exist in lower FFC. It's not being anti-Gold Coast, it's being realistic.
I think that point has been made.

I attempted to address this by talking about the ways community is built in many FFC towns.

I also acknowledged that Westport is not without problems.

Since so many, who haven't lived there, paint Westport as a town full of snobs, I wanted to give the perspective of someone who has lived there and is choosing to move there again.

Old 04-01-2011, 01:07 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,863,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mama11 View Post
Thanks for the comparison of counties and feedback about other communities...very helpful. Milford sounds wonderful. I'll check into that town, too. Thanks!
There are plenty of towns in addition to Milford that could offer you the neighborhood feel that you seek. It would help us to know what area you/spouse will be working.

Old 04-01-2011, 01:29 PM

588 posts, read 1,320,601 times
There are a lot of southern FFC neighborhoods that are very friendly, down to earth, have block parties, etc. Cos Cob in Greenwich and Shippan in Stamford come to mind immediately, I've been to many neighborhood parties in those communities.

They're nothing like Wilton or Weston though, so probably not the type of place you're looking for.

Old 04-01-2011, 02:00 PM

34,936 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post

I do not agree. If the OP gets out and meets people they wil have a very positive experience. There are people from all over the country and the world in this area. Many are new and looking for the same thing the OP is.

I will say that one of the most close knit and friendly neighborhoods I know is in Fairfield. They do the things the OP is looking for all the time. We have even been invited to join in because we know some of the people there. They will have a giant Easter Egg Hunt for the neighborhood in a few weeks and we look forward to joining themagain as we have for the last 18 years. I think the OP should be less worried about this than other things like finding a nice home for themselves. Jay

Old 04-02-2011, 02:27 PM

12 posts, read 29,670 times
Thanks so much for all the great input!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut