U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2011, 01:27 PM

8,155 posts, read 18,209,444 times

Advertisements

Interesting article written by Chris Powell of the JI.
...It is all so trivial in the face of the social disintegration that is consuming Connecticut unremarked. The state didn't even create its child-protection agency until 1969, and at first the agency did little more than take over a couple of reform schools. Now DCF spends nearly a billion dollars per year.

Exactly what happened in Connecticut in those four decades? Why has public policy failed so badly and expensively? Could its premises be horribly mistaken? And when the issues of the day that are passing for urgent at the Capitol are settled, what kind of people will be left to serve?

Journal Inquirer > Archives > Chris Powell > Just another month in Connecticut's collapse
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2011, 05:04 PM

8,950 posts, read 9,821,120 times
Lazy journalism at its finest! Take three or four isolated incidents that occurred over the last few years and without further scrutiny claim it to be a trend. His article does not prove a specific social disintegration in Connecticut, but that we are just not immune to these types of horrific incidents that happen everywhere and always have.

That having been said, that does not belittle the point that DCF needs to be reformed. As with almost all DCF departments in the US, they see-- as a matter of policy-- the first/best option as keeping the nuclear family in tact. This is not always the case. There are certainly times that call for removing the children from the situation and charging the parents with criminal sanctions. Keep in mind it is only these most egregious cases that get any notice by the media at all. There are thousands of cases that get no media notice and terminate with indeterminate success.

It seems to me our first and perhaps most critical duty as a society is to protect and educate children. For these marginal families we are failing on both accounts.

Old 04-03-2011, 07:19 PM

8,835 posts, read 14,250,515 times
Ironically, CT's DCF is probably the only the one in the country to have had a fictionalized TV drama based on it (Judging Amy).

Old 04-05-2011, 06:57 AM

5,230 posts, read 7,325,556 times
It seems to me that entities like DCF NEED to create controversy & blow things out of proportion in order to exist & prosper. I seriously doubt that there is a billion dollars more need now than there was 40 years ago. While we certainly need to care for our children we also need to remember just who's kids they are. Short of physical or sexual abuse the state has zero business interfering in how someone raises their children. I'v seen first hand how these social nazi's can get, theyre like pitbulls in their fervor to justify their existance. Had a buddy's kid go to school upset, say the wrong thing & have the state pull the kid from his home, basically terrorize the kid while they interrogate him, humiliate the mother & father. Arbitrarilly decide the boy should stay with grandparents and eventually find there was nothing wrong so the kid went back home. What an excellent way to strengthen a family's trust for one another. IMHO DCS shouldn't exist in its curent form.

People, not society, have a right & obligation to raise their chuldren to the best of their ability as they see fit. Society's only role should be in prevention of actual abuse, not conceptual things like how they are raised or how much value a family places on things others think important.

Old 04-05-2011, 09:50 AM

8,155 posts, read 18,209,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
It seems to me our first and perhaps most critical duty as a society is to protect and educate children. For these marginal families we are failing on both accounts.
You can lead a horse to water...you can't force people to be "moral" or "responsible" so long as they are not breaking the law...and even then some laws are overreaching.

I agree that we need to protect from abuse. The educational thing, while sounding good on the surface, I'd like a little more freedom in educating my child than only a public option and forced mandates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
It seems to me that entities like DCF NEED to create controversy & blow things out of proportion in order to exist & prosper. I seriously doubt that there is a billion dollars more need now than there was 40 years ago. While we certainly need to care for our children we also need to remember just who's kids they are. Short of physical or sexual abuse the state has zero business interfering in how someone raises their children. I'v seen first hand how these social nazi's can get, theyre like pitbulls in their fervor to justify their existance. Had a buddy's kid go to school upset, say the wrong thing & have the state pull the kid from his home, basically terrorize the kid while they interrogate him, humiliate the mother & father. Arbitrarilly decide the boy should stay with grandparents and eventually find there was nothing wrong so the kid went back home. What an excellent way to strengthen a family's trust for one another. IMHO DCS shouldn't exist in its curent form.

People, not society, have a right & obligation to raise their chuldren to the best of their ability as they see fit. Society's only role should be in prevention of actual abuse, not conceptual things like how they are raised or how much value a family places on things others think important.
Well said.

Old 04-05-2011, 10:08 AM

24,615 posts, read 40,185,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
You can lead a horse to water...you can't force people to be "moral" or "responsible" so long as they are not breaking the law...and even then some laws are overreaching.
I actually agree. The problem is our government feels that they can fix people and if there is an issue it is a failure of the agency. Some people will not change no matter what. Jay

Old 04-05-2011, 10:11 AM

8,950 posts, read 9,821,120 times
I would add that the most common form of child abuse is not physical or sexual-- it's neglect.

I think it is well within the state's purview to intervene in cases of serious neglect. There are people out there who don't feed or clothe their children-- as unbelievable as it sounds!

Despite Tin Knocker's friend's experience, all of the examples in the article posted are of under-reaction not over-reaction by DCF. I am more concerned about kids in abusive situations who are left there than the very occasional overstep. The people who work on the front lines at DCF are professional social workers. They are not where the problem lies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or