Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2011, 02:45 PM

5 posts, read 15,165 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Fairfield, CT and work in Midtown New York. I am thinking about either moving to the City or to Stamford. I know that living in New York would be more costly in terms of rent, but living in Stamford, I would have to spend more on transportation (train and car). At the same time, I'd like to meet new people and experience the night life (and obviously NYC has so much to offer). What would you recommend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2011, 03:20 PM

34,932 posts, read 56,935,296 times
Only you can make that choice but I would say if you are single and can afford it, move to New York. It will probably be the only time in your life that you will be young and single so why not try it for a year or so. Good luck, Jay

Old 04-03-2011, 03:48 PM

30 posts, read 60,305 times
its funny - i am moving to new haven to be closer to nyc as I am currently in providence ri. i am moving for similar reasons to you. and i would love to live in fairfield, just to be that much closer.

its all perspective.

Old 04-03-2011, 03:58 PM

5 posts, read 15,165 times
Thanks for the suggestions. I agree with Jay. Initially, I had wanted to move to Astoria because of the convenience into Midtown and rent is also a bit cheaper and it would be easier to get to Grand Central if I wanted to go home to Fairfield. I've been looking at apts in New York, and I don't really like them. Anything east of Astoria and Brooklyn is farther and it is about a 45 minute subway ride into Midtown. Manhattan is closer, but it is a bit pricey. Personally, I think it's harder to find a place in the City than in Stamford.

Old 04-03-2011, 04:58 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,861,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dml0000 View Post
Thanks for the suggestions. I agree with Jay. Initially, I had wanted to move to Astoria because of the convenience into Midtown and rent is also a bit cheaper and it would be easier to get to Grand Central if I wanted to go home to Fairfield. I've been looking at apts in New York, and I don't really like them. Anything east of Astoria and Brooklyn is farther and it is about a 45 minute subway ride into Midtown. Manhattan is closer, but it is a bit pricey. Personally, I think it's harder to find a place in the City than in Stamford.
Maybe you should expand your search to Jersey City and New Rochelle?

Old 04-04-2011, 08:56 AM

588 posts, read 1,320,460 times
May I ask what monthly rent you're able to afford? If you can swing it, I highly recommend living in NYC. There's no better place in the world to experience single life when you're young, and on nights when you have to work late, you'll be very happy to walk around the corner and meet friends for drinks, or take a quick subway ride home, rather than waiting on the metro-north platform for the next scheduled train.

Old 04-04-2011, 09:46 AM

21,619 posts, read 31,202,923 times
Sounds to me like you're asking us to assist you with a decision that ultimately has to be made by you. If it were me, I'd live in the city.

Old 04-04-2011, 11:29 AM

21,751 posts, read 28,077,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jax12479 View Post
May I ask what monthly rent you're able to afford? If you can swing it, I highly recommend living in NYC. There's no better place in the world to experience single life when you're young, and on nights when you have to work late, you'll be very happy to walk around the corner and meet friends for drinks, or take a quick subway ride home, rather than waiting on the metro-north platform for the next scheduled train.
Totally agree. You won't mind being in a small space when you have all of NYC at your fingertips.

Stamford is OK if you need to buy, but I see no point in renting if you're going to work in NYC.

Old 04-12-2011, 08:25 PM

418 posts, read 1,410,882 times
Stamford is no bargain and as you mention your transportation costs would be a lot higher in Stamford. Check out some additional NYC neighborhoods- in particular Long Island City or Sunnyside/Woodside in Queens, or think about going down to Brooklyn or across the river to Hoboken or Jersey City. There's more choice among "affordable" apartments in the outer boroughs than there is in Stamford.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut