U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-07-2011, 06:29 PM

490 posts, read 467,153 times

Advertisements

What makes Connecticut a better place to live, work, and raise a family than Rhode Island?

What makes Rhode Island a better place to live, work, and raise a family than Connecticut?

Please help me formulate a list of pros and cons for each state.

Also, if you were going to retire in one state or the other, in which state would you choose to retire?

Old 04-07-2011, 10:08 PM

6,515 posts, read 4,975,633 times
The pros of CT are that the schools are better, there are more job opportunities, and a better assortment of different types of towns to live in.

The pros of RI are that the taxes are slightly lower and a lower cost of living.

RI is more densely populated than CT, and generally more liberal with politics. The unemployment rate is much worse. RI seems to have a lot more trashy people, while CT has more affluent, classy, educated people. The terrain of RI is much flatter than that of CT. There are no mountains, really. But that's subjective.

Dont get me wrong, RI is a nice state, but if I were to raise a family, I would most definitely choose CT because of the schools and it just seems cleaner and better maintained in general.

Old 04-07-2011, 10:09 PM

668 posts, read 506,513 times
I don't know much about Rhode Island, but from what I've seen much of Rhode Island is pretty gross. The exceptions being the towns by the shore.

Old 04-07-2011, 10:41 PM

10,566 posts, read 7,800,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
RI seems to have a lot more trashy people, while CT has more affluent, classy, educated people.
Oh, don't worry. We have trash in droves too.

But yes, CT is far more affluent in general.

Old 04-08-2011, 06:09 AM

2,604 posts, read 6,026,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatUpFLA View Post
Also, if you were going to retire in one state or the other, in which state would you choose to retire?
I wouldn't retire in either, the cost of living up here is just too high. I don't think I could ever manage to retire anywhere in the Northeast.

Old 04-08-2011, 06:12 AM

577 posts, read 573,598 times
Dont matter how close Rhode Island to here, I never been to that state in my life.

All I know it's much flatter with many beaches lol

Old 04-08-2011, 07:04 AM

4,004 posts, read 5,330,407 times
I notice that a lot of these comments on RI are from people who haven't seen much of the state. If you've just gone through on I95 it does look pretty bad.

To see RI, you really have to go off on the back roads and hit every separate section from woodlands to farmlands to cities and towns.

Old 04-08-2011, 07:06 AM

3,541 posts, read 3,121,165 times
Actually, the terrain of RI is not all flat. Some of you seem to have never left the coastal 1-95 / RT 138 corridor . Up in northwest RI you get the same rolling hills you'll find anywhere in east- central to north- eastern CT. Out along Foster, just over the CT border there are huge stretches of pine forest.

I find CT to be more affluent than RI- it's definitely better maintained. Take the back roads like RT 165 into RI and you can tell as soon as you hit the border- the road maintenance just falls apart in RI.

CT has better employment possibilities, with several possible employment regions, while RI has just the general Providence area.

CT has a better overall education system. As for retirement, you won't cheap or inexpensive retirement in either of them. Retirees seem to be mostly long term residents with strong family ties to either state. I can't see why anyone would move from almost anywhere else in the country to retire in CT or RI.
Dollars will stretch a lot further in many other places.

Old 04-08-2011, 08:35 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,830,534 times
What has always amazed me about RI is that as close as it is to Boston, it is still kind of a backward state. I know the state fairly well and it is just has this feel that it is somewhat behind the times. I have friends in the state and they note the same thing. The state government operates like it is very poor. There always seems to be budget problems.

The roads are in terrible condition generally with some having not been repaved or re-signed in 30 years. I also hate the fact that signs in the state will point you in a direction and then not tell you which way to go further up the road. This just happened to me a few weeks ago on Capitol Hill in Providence where a sign said I-95 and pointed to the right but there was no sign to tell you where to turn to get on the highway. Very frustrating for someone who does not know the state well (and I do know the state). JMHO, Jay

Old 04-08-2011, 08:55 AM

1,375 posts, read 1,201,445 times
I go to R.I. to fish about 10x a year, I drive down from Glastonbury, R.I. seems pretty nice but agreed CT seems more affluent, better infrastructure, roads are better maintained, I've been through most of R.I., up 95, have a friend I visit in Cumberland, fished out of Portsmouth several times, etc etc. It's not so bad but I definitely prefer CT. I do like the Point Judith area. Not impressed though from the CT border along Rt 6 through the northern part of the state, you can definitely see the difference once you cross over from CT to R.I.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut