U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-12-2011, 01:26 PM

746 posts, read 1,043,010 times
Valle's Steak House
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2011, 02:47 PM

1,004 posts, read 1,176,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaoCT View Post
was it P.O.M.G.??

Here's another old restaurant - Mr. Steak.

I'm trying to remember more stores in the Manchester Parkade: Channel (pre-Home Depot home improvement store), Butterfields, Command Performance, Youth Centre.
Yup, POMG at 35 Asylum Street!

Did anyone shop at GEMCO? Mid 1960's on the Berlin Turnpike.

Old 04-12-2011, 02:58 PM

8,184 posts, read 9,148,620 times
Grossman's Lumber/Home Improvement. I hated their stores, for some reason.

Old 04-12-2011, 04:00 PM

2,727 posts, read 2,697,145 times
I remember Grossmans.

OMG! I just thought of one - where Borders is (or was??? LOL) by the Westfarms Mal, many moons ago (close to 30 years) in that plaza there was a place my mom worked I think it was called something like Philly Mignon. Ring a bell to anyone?

Also in the plaza across from Westfarms there was Card Gallery.

Old 04-12-2011, 05:03 PM

1,004 posts, read 1,176,573 times
Before West Farts Mall existed there was an excellent place that served great pizza and beer across the road.
Does anyone recall the Puritan Diner on New Britain Ave? I was in the birthday club there!

Old 04-12-2011, 06:30 PM

560 posts, read 535,682 times
I think they were already mentioned, but I remember a King's on West Main St New Britain, Zayre's on Queen St Southington, Two guys on the Berlin Trpke, and Rail Road Salvage in Berlin (maybe was in Webster Square)

I also remember going to a dept store in New Britian with my mother in the 70's that had a name like "Field's" or "J.T. Fields" it was around Stanley st I think. Don't know if Fields was a chain store or not.

I also remember Hardee's in New Britian which currently houses a McDonald's (Main St New Brite Plaza) Hardee's closed when I was very little, but I remember going there for burgers a few times. I had always thought they went out of business until I saw one in Maryland about 15 years ago. Stopped in to try the burgers, but alas they weren't what I remembered.

Seems like everyone around Hartford has a G Fox story. So, here's my G. Fox story. I worked with a guy about 15 years ago who was the executive chef for the G Fox cafeteria. He told me that G Fox shot there catalog photos in that building including lingerie. The models didn't want to go to the cafeteria, so they delivered the food to them. Yes even to the lingerie models. Guess who volunteered for that job?

Old 04-13-2011, 05:50 PM

5,924 posts, read 4,513,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTGirlNoMore View Post
I remember Grossmans.

OMG! I just thought of one - where Borders is (or was??? LOL) by the Westfarms Mal, many moons ago (close to 30 years) in that plaza there was a place my mom worked I think it was called something like Philly Mignon. Ring a bell to anyone?

Also in the plaza across from Westfarms there was Card Gallery.
Borders used to be Builder's Square. I posted the logo in the original post of this thread.

Old 04-13-2011, 06:35 PM

2,727 posts, read 2,697,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Borders used to be Builder's Square. I posted the logo in the original post of this thread.
No, I know that - I remember that store. But I am talking about in that plaza itself, a few doors down. There was a restaurant of some type, about 30 years ago give or take. My mom work there when I was little and I am almost 35 now. I think she said it was called Philly Mignon's.

Old 04-13-2011, 07:17 PM

1,233 posts, read 1,453,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uconn97 View Post
Ponderosa - anyone??

Wasn't there a place called Big Boys?
Thank you for saying Ponderosa! I was trying to remember what that restaurant was!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkiv808 View Post
Yup, I remember a lot of them from when I was a kid.

Does anyone know what was in the building where Bob's Stores currently is in Danbury? I used to go there as a kid with my mom. There was also a restaurant in it, which was kind of unique for a typical department store.
Reed's. Bradlees also had a cafe for a while, they were taken out in the early 80's. My grandfather used to supply our local one with his tomatoes.

Old 04-13-2011, 07:18 PM

11,218 posts, read 15,465,313 times
Crazy Eddie's - his prices are IN-SANE!!!
I remember all of those. Woolworth's 5 & Dime, back when it was a 5 & Dime, heh..right in Downtown New Haven.
Steak & Brew, which then changed ownership and renamed itself Steak and Ale - had awesome lobster tails and one of the earliest popular salad bars in the area (they weren't very common back then).
Ruby Vine's Railroad Salvage (now known as Railroad Stores, I think)
Silver's Drug on Main & Campbell in West Haven - back when it had a soda fountain and you'd pay 25 cents to pop a balloon, and the little slip of paper inside the balloon told you your discount off a sundae; or if you won a free one.
The original Sorrento's Pizza on Whitney and Skiff in Hamden/North Haven (it was smack dab on the town line), back when Johnny and Irene opened it and I'd go there with a school chum at lunchtime to share a small mozz and 2 small cokes for $3 total. On the jukebox: It Never Rains in California
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut