Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 11:18 AM

48 posts, read 91,709 times

Advertisements

BlackRock section of bridgeport is a good spot as some have mentioned above. The new Metro North Station opens up in October of 2011 and there are a few nice condo complexes within a mile of the station. Its not as pricey as New Haven and Stamford but has some great restaurants and bars which these complexes are close to depending on which one. For the money, it is a good location. Stamford and New Haven are nice though, Stamford just pricey, New Haven is a haul on the train from NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2011, 08:21 PM

21,722 posts, read 28,048,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankees28 View Post
BlackRock section of bridgeport is a good spot as some have mentioned above. The new Metro North Station opens up in October of 2011 and there are a few nice condo complexes within a mile of the station. Its not as pricey as New Haven and Stamford but has some great restaurants and bars which these complexes are close to depending on which one. For the money, it is a good location. Stamford and New Haven are nice though, Stamford just pricey, New Haven is a haul on the train from NYC.
I think I'd get bored living in Black Rock eventually. It just doesn't have as much life as Stamford and New Haven. Not enough bars or variety to really keep it exciting.

Not a bad area though and plenty of college students from Sacred Heart and Fairfield U.

Old 04-20-2011, 12:08 PM

4 posts, read 6,583 times
Ok just got done with training for my job. They suggest living up a little more north in Connecticut since most of my traveling will be in the northeast more. I hear Middletown is an okay place to live.? What about Hartford, another suggestion I've heard was West Hartford or Manchester. Does anyone have any input on this? New haven would work but just looking a little more. And the only thing I am worried about is ending up in a bad neighborhood, so if you have areas to avoid that would be great advice also. Thanks for your replies

Old 04-20-2011, 01:39 PM

21,722 posts, read 28,048,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rer89b View Post
Ok just got done with training for my job. They suggest living up a little more north in Connecticut since most of my traveling will be in the northeast more. I hear Middletown is an okay place to live.? What about Hartford, another suggestion I've heard was West Hartford or Manchester. Does anyone have any input on this? New haven would work but just looking a little more. And the only thing I am worried about is ending up in a bad neighborhood, so if you have areas to avoid that would be great advice also. Thanks for your replies
West Hartford, Middletown or New Haven are all fine choices.

Middletown is a little quieter and doesn't have quite as many things to do, but has a decent downtown.

West Hartford has a nice, upscale downtown with many restaurants.

New Haven has the most activity of any CT city, followed by Hartford and Stamford.

There are bad neighborhoods in both Hartford and New Haven. I know northern Hartford is bad, but am not intimately familiar with it as some may be on here.

In New Haven, avoid areas around Dixwell and Whalley Ave, Newhallville, The Hill.

Old 04-20-2011, 02:02 PM

45 posts, read 50,506 times
I personally feel that West Hartford is one of the best towns in CT. It offers a lot but about two hours from NYC and 90 minutes from Boston.

great school systems, golf courses, some of the best restaurants in the state in walking distance from one another, parks/hiking trails, culture/ethnic, and the nightlife scene has taken off (well, for west hartford that is. it's not new york..)

If you're looking to be closer to NYC then i'd say Stamford. i do prefer NH over Stamford though but strictly on a city vs city basis, not geographical location.

some links about weha

Best Places to Live 2010 - Top 100: City details: West Hartford, CT - from MONEY Magazine

Kiplinger.com

Coolest Suburbs Worth a Visit- Page 9 - Articles | Travel + Leisure
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut