U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 06:20 PM

326 posts, read 608,548 times

Advertisements

Sounds like green card is something you have to do.

Green Card Through Family
Green Card for an Immediate Relative of a U.S. Citizen
Green Card for a Family Member of a U.S. Citizen
Green Card for a Family Member of a Permanent Resident
Green Card Through Special Categories of Family
Green Card Through a Job
Green Card Through a Job Offer
Green Card Through Investment
Green Card Through Self-Petition
Green Card Through Special Categories of Jobs
Green Card Through Refugee or Asylee Status
Green Card for a Refugee
Green Card for an Asylee

Other Ways to Get a Green Card
Although most immigrants come to live permanently in the United States through a family member’s sponsorship, employment, or a job offer, there are many other ways to get a green card (permanent residence).

These special adjustment programs are limited to individuals meeting particular qualifications and/or applying during certain time frames.

For information about the categories below, see links to the left under “Other Ways to Get a Green Card.”

Amerasian Child of a U.S. Citizen
American Indian Born in Canada
Armed Forces Member
Cuban Native or Citizen
Diversity Immigrant Visa Program
Haitian Refugee
Help HAITI Act of 2010
Indochinese Parole Adjustment Act
Informant (S Nonimmigrant)
Lautenberg Parolee
Legal Immigration Family Equity (LIFE) Act
Person Born to Foreign Diplomat in United States
Registry
Section 13 (Diplomat)
Special Immigrant Juvenile
Victim of Criminal Activity (U Nonimmigrant)
Victim of Trafficking (T Nonimmigrant)

For information about the special categories below, see under the “Family,” Working in the U.S.” and “Humanitarian” links to the right.

Nicaraguan and Central American Relief Act (NACARA)

Green Cards Through Special Categories of Jobs

Includes:

* Afghan/Iraqi Translator
* Broadcaster
* International Organization Employee
* Iraqi Who Assisted the U.S. Government
* NATO-6 Nonimmigrant
* Panama Canal Employee
* Physician National Interest Waiver
* Religious Worker

Green Cards Through Special Categories of Family

Includes:

Battered Spouse or Child (VAWA)
K Nonimmigrant (includes fiancé(e))
V Nonimmigrant
Widow(er)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2011, 06:22 PM

438 posts, read 713,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Seeing as they are not allowed in this country in the first place, then yes, absolutely. I believe I've already stated this if you go back and reread.
So -- just to be clear -- you're saying that emergency rooms should require proof of citizenship before offering treatment? Have you even begun to think about the human and social cost of this?

Sorry, but if faced with a choice between assuaging your anxieties about feeling "taken advantage of", and saving a freakin' life, I think I'll take the second option, thanks.

EDIT: OK, your response to me was unclear because you said "yes" to both, but you've just now edited in a response to the other poster that clarified things.

Old 04-14-2011, 06:22 PM

326 posts, read 608,548 times
WOW didn't realize how easy it is to be citizen. That kid, "Local Student Mariano Cardoso Seeks Help From Senator Blumenthal To Avoid Deportation" Should just file for green card.

Old 04-14-2011, 06:23 PM

629 posts, read 586,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S2000 View Post
Yeah browsing the site, "children born outside the United States may become citizens after birth based on their parent’s citizenship or naturalization."

I think you are getting confused with the lingo. When the USCIS states "permanent resident" they mean people with green cards. Which were formally called Alien registration cards. There is no way for these children to become Legal residents currently, mostly because they never were "permanent residents with a green card"

Old 04-14-2011, 06:26 PM

11,995 posts, read 12,591,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
I think you are getting confused with the lingo. When the USCIS states "permanent resident" they mean people with green cards. Which were formally called Alien registration cards. There is no way for these children to become Legal residents currently, mostly because they never were "permanent residents with a green card"
Exactly. They have to apply and go through the legal process. Get in line and wait your turn.

Old 04-14-2011, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2000 View Post
WOW didn't realize how easy it is to be citizen. That kid, "Local Student Mariano Cardoso Seeks Help From Senator Blumenthal To Avoid Deportation" Should just file for green card.
I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic, but I know a bunch of people who have immigrated to the United States legally, and everyone of them has said that the green card process was a complete nightmare -- extraordinarily expensive and stressful. Same for people I know who've immigrated to the U.K.

Old 04-14-2011, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenband View Post
I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic, but I know a bunch of people who have immigrated to the United States legally, and everyone of them has said that the green card process was a complete nightmare -- extraordinarily expensive and stressful. Same for people I know who've immigrated to the U.K.
I've heard this too - but that doesn't excuse doing it illegally.

Old 04-14-2011, 06:35 PM

629 posts, read 586,610 times
Quote:
Exactly. They have to apply and go through the legal process. Get in line and wait your turn.
This goes back to punishing the children for their parents wrongs. The person in the news article came to the USA when he was 22 months old. He didn't have a choice. Now we throw him out? He grew up here this is all he knows.

I could possibly be convinced of deporting the parents, but the children should stay.

Old 04-14-2011, 06:37 PM

Quote:
I've heard this too - but that doesn't excuse doing it illegally.
If the average American citizen couldn't afford to do it (go through the green card process), then the law is broken. If we're telling a teenager who's lived here since he was two years old that he's not really a member of our country, and has to leave in order to have a chance of coming back to the only home he's ever known, then the law is broken. No one needs an "excuse" to refuse to follow a broken law; sometimes the only moral thing to do is to break it.

BTW I don't see illegal immigration as an immoral act in the slightest. Most illegal immigrants aren't coming here with a smug grin, chortling about how they're going to screw the United States; they're coming here to try to build a better, safer life for their kids. There was tons of illegal immigration in the 1930s when Jewish people fled persecution under the Nazis.

Personally, I'd do it in a heartbeat if things got bad in the United States and I needed to find a better life for my family. Of course I'd try to do things the legal way first, but if I were refused or the process took too long and I felt my family were in danger, I wouldn't throw my hands up and say "Oh, well, I guess we're screwed". Strangely enough, the opinion of some pontificator on a message board would have approximately zero bearing on my decision.

Old 04-14-2011, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenband View Post
No one needs an "excuse" to refuse to follow a broken law; sometimes the only moral thing to do is to break it.
I think we're done here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut