U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 01:44 PM

438 posts, read 676,268 times
I'm not really interested in pursuing this much further but I do have one simple question for you, brien51: what if the Soviets hadn't joined the war? What then? You're claiming essentially that the US is "special" because it ended the war, and that the Soviet contribution is insignificant by comparison. I'd like to invite you to say those things in front of a group of WWII veterans -- even if they're all American -- and see how long you last.

(P.S. An "operational weapon" isn't the same as an effective, efficient weapon that can be deployed on a large scale. Sure, the V-2 was good at blowing stuff up that it hit, but it was so expensive and resource-intensive that it ended up being a net loss for the Nazis in every way except propaganda -- in other words, as an instrument of terror, rather than of actual large-scale destruction. There is simply no room for debate about that.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2011, 01:53 PM

10,108 posts, read 6,692,282 times
If you aren't a citizen and aren't paying into the system, you should not get its benefits. Period.

It boggles my mind that it's a fact that's even up for debate.

Old 04-13-2011, 03:27 PM

1,264 posts, read 1,046,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Do you think you'd be better off with a Corpratist republican like they have in Wisconsin? The governor gave corporations a tax break-- causing a revenue shortfall and THEN declared a budget crisis to bust the unions and remove benefits from people making 40K. Is that better? Is that more pro-Average Joe?
nope that's not good either, has to be some sort of compromise though. Both extremes no good.

Old 04-13-2011, 04:51 PM

8,156 posts, read 12,283,971 times
Quote:
Can you provide any evidence that the room was filled with "union shills"?

And by the way, why DON'T corporations (GE!!) and the rich pay their fair share?
Yea sure, what would you like?

I'll give you my personal witness to SEIU members stepping off the bus, and the number who where there handing out propaganda.

Memo's like this abound:

Local 704 - Governor Malloy Town Hall Meeting in Hartford - LOCATION CHANGE

The AFT union has some dandy comments on their website about how to act, and where to organize.

Danbury Nurses Union Unit 47 -

LOL Nevermind, they pulled it down.
Action: Union members, their friends, family, and neighbors who believe the governor should be asking for corporations and the superrich to start paying their fair share are urged to come out in strong numbers. The effort is being coordinated by our Connecticut Action Alliance for a Fair Economy and fact sheets will be provided to attendees.
javascript:__doPostBack('ctl00$ctl00$SkinPlaceHold er$contentc043b16c_61fc_4612_a200_f908661c829b$Day EventRepeater$ctl09$btnSelectEvent2','')

http://www.seiu2001.org/admin/Assets/AssetContent/2e30a752-2477-4a8b-b387-e35319ed2a1c/546bfa9e-94e2-495f-9d30-54cc81f55e47/c528c7ac-1912-4dc6-b3c5-dc1ad62cf53c/1/CT_FFE_MT_GOV_FORUM_FLYR.pdf (broken link)
For his final stop in
Middletown, we need to turn-out in large numbers...

We will provide suggested questions to ask the
governor, along with rebuttals to help you make
your point. Bring your homemade signs that say:
  • "Stop Wall Street Soaking the Middle-Class"
    "Don't Carry Water for Big Banks to Trickle Down on Me"
    "Make Wall Street Leaches & Parasites Pay"
    "Make Bankers Roll Up their Sleeves Too"
    "Foreclose on Big Banks Loopholes"
    "Punish Greedy Bankers, Not Middle-Class Families"

Let your Union Staff Rep or Worksite Organizer
know you'll be there. And bring at least 2 members with you.
Real nice...no activism there.

And you libs say we march to a drum and can't think for ourselves.

Hell even the COURANT is acknowledging it.

Hartford Residents Question Malloy On SustiNet, Taxes; Call For Taxing The Rich And Closing Corporate Loopholes - Capitol Watch

I mean, come on. I love when you say something "got proof, got proof" Yea, I do. Open your eyes, your country is being swept out from under you.

As for GE, that is a VEEEERY good question.

Why don't you ask the current administration that very thing.
"President Barack Obama named Jeffrey Immelt, General Electric Co.’s chief executive officer, to head his outside panel of economic advisers, replacing former Federal Reserve Chairman Paul Volcker." Jan 21, 2011
General Electric will directly benefit from Obama’s decision to renege on a deal to provide Eastern Europe with missile defense systems (the obvious implications of which go well beyond the topic in this blog). As reported in the Washington Examiner:

“General Electric may be the company with the closest ties to the Obama administration (if not, GE is second only to Goldman Sachs), and here we see the company benefiting from an abrupt foreign policy change made by President
In addition to the $24.9 million it received in stimulus grants, GE was also awarded $5 million in federal contracts under the economic stimulus law. These contracts were payment for services provided by the company.

Power company Caithness Energy has given General Electric a $1.4 billion contract to supply wind turbines and 10 years' worth of maintenance for an Oregon wind farm, GE announced Thursday.
The U.S. Department of Energy loan program...has offered guarantees or conditional guarantees to three programs...$1.3 billion to New York-based Caithness Energy LLC's giant wind farm in Eastern Oregon
Oh, I didn't see the connection at all.

Seriously, this is like picking up fat chicks...You all are in the dark.

Old 04-13-2011, 04:51 PM

1,661 posts, read 1,767,092 times
Quote:
Do you think you'd be better off with a Corpratist republican like they have in Wisconsin? The governor gave corporations a tax break-- causing a revenue shortfall and THEN declared a budget crisis to bust the unions and remove benefits from people making 40K. Is that better? Is that more pro-Average Joe?
This is just an attempt to derail the argument. You do not have to be a supporter of the Wisconsin governor to be an opponent of the Connecticut governor.

Old 04-13-2011, 06:25 PM

6,773 posts, read 4,465,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedWest View Post
This is just an attempt to derail the argument. You do not have to be a supporter of the Wisconsin governor to be an opponent of the Connecticut governor.
Of course not... But I am just pointing out that for all of the problems some have with Malloy, things could be worse.

Old 04-13-2011, 06:42 PM

11,525 posts, read 10,081,179 times
Default Malloy sounds like an incredible person

So refreshing to see someone stand up for illegal immigrants in a state that has the worst city-to-suburban racial divisions in the country. Racial inequities seem extreme in the state. Appalling that a state so close to NY is so segregated.

I support helping immigrants become full citizens even if it means invading these privileged, all-white enclaves to force equal treatment.

Good for Malloy. He's part of the solution.

Old 04-13-2011, 06:51 PM

8,156 posts, read 12,283,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Lexus View Post
So refreshing to see someone stand up for illegal immigrants in a state that has the worst city-to-suburban racial divisions in the country. Racial inequities seem extreme in the state. Appalling that a state so close to NY is so segregated.

I support helping immigrants become full citizens even if it means invading these privileged, all-white enclaves to force equal treatment.

Good for Malloy. He's part of the solution.
Keeeep talking, you people are exposing yourselves.

All white enclaves? LOL The Hartford region has one of the highest percentages of middle class blacks in the nation. (Bloomfield/Windsor anyone? ) But then, the universities where you have been indoctrinated don't tell you that, now do they?

They also don't tell you that middle class blacks - according to the last census, are fleeing the "social experiment" known as the inner cities for the BURBS. Maybe they like to be around racist crackers? Hmmm.

But, what do I know. I'm just some elite cracker who grew up in the inner city to a single, dependant mother and decided on my own what reality was and decided to make a change.

Old 04-13-2011, 06:58 PM

6,773 posts, read 4,465,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Yea sure, what would you like?

I'll give you my personal witness to SEIU members stepping off the bus, and the number who where there handing out propaganda.

Memo's like this abound:

Local 704 - Governor Malloy Town Hall Meeting in Hartford - LOCATION CHANGE

The AFT union has some dandy comments on their website about how to act, and where to organize.

Danbury Nurses Union Unit 47 -

LOL Nevermind, they pulled it down.
Action: Union members, their friends, family, and neighbors who believe the governor should be asking for corporations and the superrich to start paying their fair share are urged to come out in strong numbers. The effort is being coordinated by our Connecticut Action Alliance for a Fair Economy and fact sheets will be provided to attendees.
javascript:__doPostBack('ctl00$ctl00$SkinPlaceHold er$contentc043b16c_61fc_4612_a200_f908661c829b$Day EventRepeater$ctl09$btnSelectEvent2','')

http://www.seiu2001.org/admin/Assets/AssetContent/2e30a752-2477-4a8b-b387-e35319ed2a1c/546bfa9e-94e2-495f-9d30-54cc81f55e47/c528c7ac-1912-4dc6-b3c5-dc1ad62cf53c/1/CT_FFE_MT_GOV_FORUM_FLYR.pdf (broken link)
For his final stop in
Middletown, we need to turn-out in large numbers...

We will provide suggested questions to ask the
governor, along with rebuttals to help you make
your point. Bring your homemade signs that say:
  • "Stop Wall Street Soaking the Middle-Class"
    "Don't Carry Water for Big Banks to Trickle Down on Me"
    "Make Wall Street Leaches & Parasites Pay"
    "Make Bankers Roll Up their Sleeves Too"
    "Foreclose on Big Banks Loopholes"
    "Punish Greedy Bankers, Not Middle-Class Families"

Let your Union Staff Rep or Worksite Organizer
know you'll be there. And bring at least 2 members with you.
Real nice...no activism there.

And you libs say we march to a drum and can't think for ourselves.

Hell even the COURANT is acknowledging it.

Hartford Residents Question Malloy On SustiNet, Taxes; Call For Taxing The Rich And Closing Corporate Loopholes - Capitol Watch

I mean, come on. I love when you say something "got proof, got proof" Yea, I do. Open your eyes, your country is being swept out from under you.

As for GE, that is a VEEEERY good question.

Why don't you ask the current administration that very thing.
"President Barack Obama named Jeffrey Immelt, General Electric Co.’s chief executive officer, to head his outside panel of economic advisers, replacing former Federal Reserve Chairman Paul Volcker." Jan 21, 2011
General Electric will directly benefit from Obama’s decision to renege on a deal to provide Eastern Europe with missile defense systems (the obvious implications of which go well beyond the topic in this blog). As reported in the Washington Examiner:

“General Electric may be the company with the closest ties to the Obama administration (if not, GE is second only to Goldman Sachs), and here we see the company benefiting from an abrupt foreign policy change made by President
In addition to the $24.9 million it received in stimulus grants, GE was also awarded $5 million in federal contracts under the economic stimulus law. These contracts were payment for services provided by the company.

Power company Caithness Energy has given General Electric a $1.4 billion contract to supply wind turbines and 10 years' worth of maintenance for an Oregon wind farm, GE announced Thursday.
The U.S. Department of Energy loan program...has offered guarantees or conditional guarantees to three programs...$1.3 billion to New York-based Caithness Energy LLC's giant wind farm in Eastern Oregon
Oh, I didn't see the connection at all.

Seriously, this is like picking up fat chicks...You all are in the dark.
So I guess a previous poster was correct-- In the eyes of some, one cannot be union member with out being a "shill."

I guess it's better than being a middle class shill who willingly serves the corpratists and the ultra-rich against his/her own best interest.

(See we have rhetoric too! Not that your overblown rhetoric--or mine-- helps solve any of the real problems facing the middle class)

Old 04-13-2011, 07:02 PM

11,525 posts, read 10,081,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Keeeep talking, you people are exposing yourselves.

All white enclaves? LOL The Hartford region has one of the highest percentages of middle class blacks in the nation. (Bloomfield/Windsor anyone? ) But then, the universities where you have been indoctrinated don't tell you that, now do they?

They also don't tell you that middle class blacks - according to the last census, are fleeing the "social experiment" known as the inner cities for the BURBS. Maybe they like to be around racist crackers? Hmmm.

But, what do I know. I'm just some elite cracker who grew up in the inner city to a single, dependant mother and decided on my own what reality was and decided to make a change.
Calm down for God's sake. The mere mention of the phrase "white enclave" is enough to send you spinning out of control. The racial disparities between the cities and the suburbs in that state are LEGENDARY. Inequities exist to the extreme.

Immigrants in this country, illegal or not, is the price we pay by holding ourselves out as a beacon of freedom to the world. We must devise ways to help them become equal citizens rather than dumping trillions abroad to nation-build.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut