Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 10:30 AM

2,080 posts, read 3,921,412 times

Advertisements

I'm considering switching to a total house demand hot water system fired by propane. Does anybody currently heat their domestic and baseboard hot water this way? How much per gallon are you paying in CT?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2011, 08:54 PM

856 posts, read 2,014,568 times
We have a standard hot water heater so can't comment on speed but so far cost and heat have been comparable to our last home, heated by natural gas.

What are you using to heat now?

I did recently read an article about "on demand" systems having shorter life spans than their tags let on to believe and that they aren't strong enough to provide hot water service for more than one function at a time i.e.- dishwasher and shower

Old 04-19-2011, 05:05 PM

240 posts, read 1,371,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetto View Post
I'm considering switching to a total house demand hot water system fired by propane. Does anybody currently heat their domestic and baseboard hot water this way? How much per gallon are you paying in CT?
I work in the business and am VERY familiar with what you are thinking of. I wont mention my companys name because I dont think the forum is appropriate for pitching potential sales.

Domestic HW in the LP business is generally known as "household" rate. Shop around, you might find a price for under $3.99 gal. For household heat, propane fired baseboard & hot water you will get an even better rate.

The latest "on demand" hot water heaters are efficient to a phenominal level. The brand Rinnai is the top of the line. Go check out their website. We've swapped out the traditional 40-60 gal tank LP heaters for large families who used typically 55-80 gallons LP per month, and now are on a 90 day schedule delivering sometimes as little as 45 gallons. For more normal users, family of 3 who uses on avg 60 gal every 2 months, we now have folks like them on a 6 month interval. As you can see, significant savings.

Quick Tip for anyone with a traditional LP HW heater downstairs looking to SAVE big bucks.

There should be a red "dial indicator" on most models with pilots. The red dial will have temp setting from Very Hot-Hot-Warm etc.. down to vacation mode. <If you are capable of the difficult task of adjusting the time on your watch, you can do this!! Might need a flashlight> If your water temp is set anywhere near the hottest temp, or just on HOt its WAY-WAY too high. Should be no higher than a middle temp. setting.

Some folks unfortunately think if they run out of hot water during a shower its the temp setting. You couldnt be more wrong. Its your water capacity #1, followed by your water heater has lost its efficiency and needs service or to be replaced. Also, if you go away for a trip, even a long 3 or 4 day weeknd trip get yer butt down there and turn that dial down to VAC mode. While your away, while you sleep, at work that HW heater is down there working to its max maintaining the dialed in temp setting. Total waste of your hard earned cash. And energy to boot. Just DONT FORGET to turn the dial back to normal operating temp 1st thing when you return home.

T.K.

Old 04-19-2011, 05:17 PM

240 posts, read 1,371,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TobinJ View Post
We have a standard hot water heater so can't comment on speed but so far cost and heat have been comparable to our last home, heated by natural gas.

What are you using to heat now?

I did recently read an article about "on demand" systems having shorter life spans than their tags let on to believe and that they aren't strong enough to provide hot water service for more than one function at a time i.e.- dishwasher and shower
The very nature of the beast, that the heater is sleeping like Rip Van Winkle when there is no demand for HW extends the life significantly. Better to spend the cash on a dependable model and research.

The other issue of not providing enough HW is usually a mistake made by the customer looking to save a small difference in cash for the install. They settle for a model inferior to their actual needs or demands. You can get a unit to service commercial grade. Rinnai is about the best money can buy.

Old 04-19-2011, 07:29 PM

Tom/Tobin- thanks for the great information. I currently have oil tankless coil domestic hotwater and baseboard hot water heat. Just filled the oil tank: 200 gallons X 3.69/gal= $740.00!! I'm looking at the Samsung quietside unit right now. It seems well engineered and has a great warranty/life expectancy. We'll see...

Old 04-19-2011, 08:04 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,000,626 times
Get ready, but *shock*, I've had a state of the art tankless propane HWH for about 5 years now. LOL We heat with wood primary and oil secondary. Cook with gas.

I would never go back. My last fill up a few days ago was IIRC about $3.10 per gallon. No complaints.

Old 04-19-2011, 08:18 PM

680 posts, read 1,575,429 times
Tom I have a 330 Gallon propane tank feeding my electricity generator right now. Is it possible to feed gas into a professional gas stove, tankless HWH and electricity generator at the same time? Right now Im using oil HWH.

Old 04-19-2011, 09:23 PM

21,722 posts, read 28,055,508 times
I have a natural gas water heater. It's a brand new, so I probably won't replace it in the near term. But in the future, could I do an on-demand system with city gas?

Old 04-20-2011, 05:21 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,000,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konig1985 View Post
Tom I have a 330 Gallon propane tank feeding my electricity generator right now. Is it possible to feed gas into a professional gas stove, tankless HWH and electricity generator at the same time? Right now Im using oil HWH.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkiv808 View Post
I have a natural gas water heater. It's a brand new, so I probably won't replace it in the near term. But in the future, could I do an on-demand system with city gas?
Yes and yes.

Old 04-20-2011, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Get ready, but *shock*, I've had a state of the art tankless propane HWH for about 5 years now. LOL We heat with wood primary and oil secondary. Cook with gas.

I would never go back. My last fill up a few days ago was IIRC about $3.10 per gallon. No complaints.
What brand are you running? How many GPM can it provide? Do you shut off your furnace (oil) for the summer?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut