U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-25-2011, 08:58 AM

1,115 posts, read 913,266 times
Move to Greenwich. From your choices only Greenwich and Darien are on the water. The other cities (New Canaan, Rye, Scarsdale) are land locked - and aside from nice homes - don't have the same appeal as a home on the Sound. Stamford and Norwalk are where the help lives. You don't want a mailing address in either city. The shopping on Greenwich Ave beats all the other cities hands down. For night life you'll have to go into NYC - but that's only 45 minutes away on Metro North. The main bar in Westport shut down a couple years back. The racial mix in Fairfield County/Westchester isn't at the levels you would see in Beverly Hills - so there will be more white faces. It doesn't mean however, the folks aren't open minded and affable once you get to know them.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2011, 09:53 AM

10,088 posts, read 6,637,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belleislerunner View Post
Stamford and Norwalk are where the help lives. You don't want a mailing address in either city.
A litte pretentious of a statement, don't you think?

Old 04-25-2011, 05:11 PM

7,899 posts, read 8,676,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkiv808 View Post
A litte pretentious of a statement, don't you think?

I was thinking it's a misinformed statement rather than a pretentious one. Sounds like someone has never been to either city, actually.

Old 04-25-2011, 06:06 PM

1,248 posts, read 1,815,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
You also might like Westport. Less waspy, fairly liberal, and very beautiful. It's a bit further from NYC, but still pretty close.
You read my mind. I don't know Westport well, but I know it well enough that I agree that it's a very liberal, tolerant town. Not that the other towns would be prejudicial but IMO it's probably the best place to be given your situation. It's definitely more affordable than Westchester county, but that ain't sayin' much - it's REALLY expensive vs. expensive. Still, it's a pretty area and you'd be looking at a 1 hour 10 minute train ride to Grand Central Station.

Don't know if I'd call Greenwich the Beverly Hills of the east coast, but it's probably every bit as wealthy. Seems the biggest difference is in Greenwich it's the Gordon Gekko's of the world whereas in BH it's the celebrities of the world.

Old 04-26-2011, 04:48 PM

12 posts, read 7,881 times
Depends.

1) Do you have a finance degree? You will need one in order to join the overlords of Fairfield county, as they fight to destroy the country by bundling and unbundling fictitional derivative products that defy understanding.

2) Are you rich, wealthy, and want to show it? Then come on in. Our neighbors in Fairfield county love to display their wealth, as a message to the minions that "we're better than you".

3) This follows from 2): do you have a deep desire to show the minions who the boss is? Do you resent poor people for no good reason, and insist that they know at all times that you're nothing like them? Please come in. You'll be welcomed. But only in Fairfield County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut