Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2007, 08:36 AM

41 posts, read 108,836 times

Advertisements

We will be relocating to the Tolland County area in the near future. I have been searching online for homes, and have seen a number of them that say "U & R Home". Could anyone tell me what this refers to? Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2007, 08:39 AM

34,917 posts, read 56,893,272 times
U&R is a builder from Manchester that is known for building a quality home. Friends use to live inone of their homes and they said it was very well built. I think they are no longer building though, so the homes are usually 20 years old or more and not of the current style. Jay

Old 08-01-2007, 08:46 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,017,296 times
Jay is right

the company was a big builder in the Hartford 25-30 years ago-
the owners retired or sold out the company.

Try these links for builders of new homes
BAEC - Builders Association of Eastern Connecticut - A professional non-profit business association for new home builders, remodelers, developers, contractors and businesses related to the home building industry in Eastern Connecticut.
Tolland County, CT home builders and new homes

Old 08-03-2007, 09:02 AM

92 posts, read 455,416 times
My husband & I plan on selling our U&R colonial home
here in Tolland county within the next 6 mos or so.
If anyone is interested send me a PM.
Thnx.

Old 11-11-2009, 09:05 AM

2 posts, read 11,775 times
i`m interested to find a little bit more about these U&R houses and nothing really pops up on the net...does anybody by any chance knows a link or something like this, with more info about ?
or if somebody knows more, can you please share ? ..

thank you very much

Old 11-11-2009, 02:40 PM

34,917 posts, read 56,893,272 times
They were just a builder in the Manchester area. There would not be a lot of information available on them. Jay

Old 11-11-2009, 04:55 PM

11,294 posts, read 18,872,835 times
I'm guessing your name means you're from Westchester County (NY). I am from there but was up in the Hartford area for something temporary this summer and spent some time in Tolland County (the room I rented was on the Vernon/Manchester border.....Vernon is the beginning to Tolland Co. though the rest of the county is more rural and spent some time exploring it.....beautiful area). I saw this because I think you'll like the area a lot (for one thing, despite all you'll read about expensive housing in CT, it applies a lot more to Fairfield.....I wouldn't call housing up there "North Carolina cheap" but compared to Westchester it will look quite affordable); I did and may end up moving there permanently sometime in the future. While there this summer, I had a colleague who lived further out in Tolland (I want to say Mansfield, but I'm not sure) who relocated from Long Island and he and his wife love it there (he's close to retirement age and when he had a job opportunity in Hartford, moved to Tolland with the idea of it being his retirement area). Good luck!

Old 12-08-2009, 08:36 AM

1 posts, read 5,934 times
I dont know too much, but have been an admirier of their homes for a couple years now. I will share what I know or have heard.

U & R Builders were one of the quality builders in the Manchester area (especially Vernon) in the 70's mostly, but also spaned from 60s to 80s.

I am told he was a very particular person and his partner was as well. One builder was "U" and the other was "R".

They believed in quality products for their time. Many of their homes built in the 70's included blown in insulation.

The homes are also recognizeable by their unique field stone designs. Large field stone fronts to homes, but especially most every home they designed included an extremely large field stone fireplace...some 6 feet wide and many covering entire walls. Each stone was specifically picked...not just any stone was taken for the job.

Copper piping appears to have been frequently used.

and lots of wood...panelling (of course from the 70's). And ...around many homes built by them you can find large rocks/boulders in the front yards.

The more I learn about this builder...the more I love their work.

Anyone else have some information to share?

Old 03-25-2010, 01:10 PM

2 posts, read 11,775 times
tks grlryder.. i appreciate your help..

U..LUDIS UPENIEKS died just few days ago (tuesday) ..and
R..RUPNER i guess past out years ago.. R.I.P for both of them..

i was curious about the U&R hoses coz we just end up buying Rupner`s residence and i just love their arhitecture, ideas, craftmanship, details...and i can`t seem to find more information about them..
if anybody has anything more to share please drop a line at tamorogaa@yahoo.com ..
tks..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut