Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 11:20 AM

149 posts, read 326,147 times

Advertisements

My lawn has dandelions all over and some type of animal is digging holes in the back with connecting tunnels that collapse when I step on them. Is lawn care a DIY project ex: spreading fertilizer etc.. Also who do I call for the animal that is digging holes. I spoke to one franchise company and they said the holes might be earthworms and that it is ok. The holes are too big for earthworm. please give recommendations or experience with companies.
Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2011, 12:23 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,756,499 times
The burrows or tunnels are probably from moles. If you have a lawn, eventually you will have moles. The moles are there for one reason- there is food down there.

Moles eat earthworms but what they really, really like and are after is beetle larvae and grubs. Since there are no good beetle grubs, I personally consider moles to be Mother Nature's pest control.

There are traps you can use that will kill them, if you don't mind disposing of their dead little bodies. Or you can hire a pest control company.

As for the lawn itself, whether it is do it yourself or not is entirely up to you. If you have the money you can hire any number of lawn care companies to fertilize, weed, seed, mow etc.

Or you can do some of it yourself and hire out some of it. 100% your choice.

Old 04-28-2011, 01:45 PM

243 posts, read 773,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willow wind View Post
The burrows or tunnels are probably from moles. If you have a lawn, eventually you will have moles. The moles are there for one reason- there is food down there.

Moles eat earthworms but what they really, really like and are after is beetle larvae and grubs. Since there are no good beetle grubs, I personally consider moles to be Mother Nature's pest control.

There are traps you can use that will kill them, if you don't mind disposing of their dead little bodies. Or you can hire a pest control company.

As for the lawn itself, whether it is do it yourself or not is entirely up to you. If you have the money you can hire any number of lawn care companies to fertilize, weed, seed, mow etc.

Or you can do some of it yourself and hire out some of it. 100% your choice.
You can spread fertilizer yourself, but understand it's an expensive process. First and foremost the best fertilizer applications are done in steps, starting right around this time. You also need to check pH level in your soil and if it's too acidic you need to add lime, lots of lime.

If you want to fertilize I suggest you check out Lesco dealers if you are in the Fairfield County area that have locations in Stamford and Stratford and I'm assuming other parts of the state as well. They have the best fertilizer.

Don't go the cheap Home Depot route of Scotts or others. They don't do a good job. For the most healthy lawn you can get a sheet that tells you the exact times to fertilize. There is fertilizer that protects against weeds, grubs, etc.

Most importantly for a healthy lawn is to thatch it every spring and fall as well. This gets up all the dead grass which many people forget to do.

Old 04-29-2011, 06:15 AM

34,918 posts, read 56,910,251 times
To get rid of moles, make sure you put down grub control. The moles are there to eat the grubs so if you get rid of the grub the moles should leave. This is the time of year to get rid of grubs. Do it NOW. Jay

Old 04-29-2011, 04:51 PM

Thanks for all the responses. Yes I did fall for the home depot Scotts fertilizer but the good thing is that I still have the receipt and hopefully I can get my money back. I also fell for the mailing that Scott lawn care sent and I am glad they did not show up for the appt they set. (that says a lot about them) Jay are we allowed to post pics? because today I actually got a close up pic of the little critter I have seen digging in the yard.

Old 04-29-2011, 06:47 PM

2,080 posts, read 4,844,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetsNY View Post
Don't go the cheap Home Depot route of Scotts or others. They don't do a good job.
Completely disagree with you about Scotts. We use Scotts Step program and our lawn looks like a golf course! It works very well for us!

The only service we pay for is for tick control.

Old 04-29-2011, 09:49 PM

Do you DIY with scotts product or does the scott lawn service company do it?

Old 05-01-2011, 06:35 PM

2,080 posts, read 4,844,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trochlearIV View Post
Do you DIY with scotts product or does the scott lawn service company do it?
We are DIY'ers and swear by Scotts. Actually, my husband is the lawn master and is in friendly but fierce competition with our neighbors for the best lawn.

In the past, there were a few summers we did pay a service but it wasn't Scotts. We didn't see results to justify the cost.

We do pay to have someone spray for ticks and every other year we do get our trees sprayed (fertilize and fungicide, I think).

I think one of the most important things you can do for your lawn is to aerate every spring. Dethatching is good but aerating is key.

Old 05-01-2011, 06:55 PM

Thanks for the info. We are going to start with the fertilizer they recommended at Lowes.
They say it will take up to 4 weeks to notice a difference.
The lawn doesn't look bad now but I would like it to look better. "like a golf course" as you describe.
I will post updates
Thanks again

Old 05-02-2011, 06:27 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,770,834 times
Fertilizer won't get rid of the moles. You need grubkiller. There are a few common ones:
GrubEx, Bayer Advanced, and milky spore. Since grubs are typically japanese beetle larvae (not always, but in this region, it's most likely), milky spore is going to be pretty efficient. It's a bacteria that is deadly to japanese beetles. Only problem is, August is the best time to spread it because that's when the grubs are closest to the surface of the soil, ready to pop out and morph into beetles. So you might try laying a grubkiller chemical down now to get the deeper segment, and in late August, spread the spore to get rid of whatever survived.

Spore is non toxic to birds, pets, people, or pretty much anything other than japanese beetles.

Kill the grubs, and you'll solve three problems in one. 1. grubs in your yard, which is nasty. 2. moles feasting on the grubs in your yard and 3. moles can't eat all the grubs that grow in your yard, which means you end up with a japanese beetle infestation sucking the life out of your lawn and garden.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut