U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 07:10 AM

1,713 posts, read 1,824,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Also, the "largest tax increase in CT history" is incorrect. If you go strictly by percentages, then Weicker's state income tax implementation was the "largest tax increase in CT history." That's because, until then, it didn't exist. The state income tax rate, prior to that, was 0%. The tax increase was - well - so high, that it's impossible to calculate and a couple of decades ago would have crashed computers, due to the "divide by zero" error.

Edited to note: He started out as a Republican before he switched to the Independent ticket.
Whatever his official affiliation, I think it's fair to say that Weicker was always a member of the 'loose cannon' party.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2011, 07:15 AM

8,156 posts, read 12,519,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden1 View Post
You are absolutely right... those layoffs will be the entry level state employees and employees who shifted to a new job class under the union. None of them will be the 6 figure managers we are griping about who from what i've heard aren't in any union. So they will get rid of a person making 36 - 40 thou ( of course with benefits) and keep the one making 160K ( with benefits).
Exactly. So we may have this 40K per year young person who is full of "get it done" with a ton of talent who will be fired while the "Director of BS" who works 7 hours a day at best, is semi retired, takes 2 months of vacation per year, earning 140K per year who is basically letting his supervisors carry the water till he hits the better "cashout" date of employment will stay and continue to be a burden.

And the above example is NOT made up, it's in my family. I know what he does, and his schedule. It's blood boiling. He goes to breakfast every day for an hour on the clock to BS with a couple friends, wanders into the office, does some things, drives around the town checking in on some projects, fields a few calls and is out usually around 2:30. That kind of person needs to go. Just cut bait and say goodbye. Retire already.

Old 05-05-2011, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmdealerguy View Post
Maybe I am naive, but just explain what this may mean to me. I work in NY and live CT. We transplanted here last year. My Mom lives in Derby, after spending 10 years in New Milford. My sister lives in Shelton for 9 years so we moved here to be closer to my family as my Mom is 74 now.
I lived in NY until I turned 42. I big reason we moved is my wife and I wanted to buy a home....which in NY (westchester county) is out of the question unless you want to work 90 hours a week to afford your overpriced house. Taxes in NY are insane. EVERYTHING is more.Gas is out of control everywhere though. When we moved here, we were amazed at how cheaper most things were(food,clothes...things like that). Property tax for us is half the price of the same type and size of home we looked at in NY. Heating bills are higher here, but not too much where it hurt us finacially. Our electric bill this winter never went above $350.00 and we have electric heat,central a/c and a 3 level 3 BR townhouse. In the summer, it never went above $150.00 . For us CT turned out to be better. I have seen posts on here with people saying living here is not great. Trust me....go live in NY or try to afford ANYTHING on a normal income($100,000 combined)....The quality of life there sucks.Not everyone has the same situation and everyone will feel different. So I ask again, what is going to happen? I dont follow politics as I trust not a one.
This is one of those directly relevant issues and then the law of unintended consequenses kicks in.

Directly a few things will be your utilities will be higher now thanks to increased taxes, transportation and shipping costs will be higher thanks to higher taxes, clothing will be higher thanks to it now being taxed, you income tax will go up and a bunch of other things just like that.

On the long term, I believe municiple aid is being cut. So that means your town will have to make up the shortfall somewhere...possible property tax hike? The corporate tax rate has DOUBLED making it I believe the highest in the nation. That WILL have long term effects and WILL cause jobs to leave. How many? One can't say for sure.

Those are the type of issues that may not directly affect you, but will affect you. If I had more time I'd go into further detail, but I have to get moving. Do some research for yourself, you might be surprised what you find.

Old 05-05-2011, 07:59 AM

106 posts, read 246,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Exactly. So we may have this 40K per year young person who is full of "get it done" with a ton of talent who will be fired while the "Director of BS" who works 7 hours a day at best, is semi retired, takes 2 months of vacation per year, earning 140K per year who is basically letting his supervisors carry the water till he hits the better "cashout" date of employment will stay and continue to be a burden.

And the above example is NOT made up, it's in my family. I know what he does, and his schedule. It's blood boiling. He goes to breakfast every day for an hour on the clock to BS with a couple friends, wanders into the office, does some things, drives around the town checking in on some projects, fields a few calls and is out usually around 2:30. That kind of person needs to go. Just cut bait and say goodbye. Retire already.
Completely and utterly said perfectly.

Old 05-05-2011, 08:26 AM

7,011 posts, read 4,666,904 times
Quote:
"Director of BS" who works 7 hours a day at best, is semi retired, takes 2 months of vacation per year, earning 140K per year who is basically letting his supervisors carry the water till he hits the better "cashout" date of employment will stay and continue to be a burden.
This type of employee needs to be terminated regardless of the current economic situation.

However the one 61 year old director level person I know in state government doesn't fit this stereotype at all... She works a full work week in a stressful social service position. Usually eats lunch at her desk... I'm not going to say she works 80 hours a week, but she definitely works her 40. I think she makes about 125K-- with a PhD.

Old 05-05-2011, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
This type of employee needs to be terminated regardless of the current economic situation.

However the one 61 year old director level person I know in state government doesn't fit this stereotype at all... She works a full work week in a stressful social service position. Usually eats lunch at her desk... I'm not going to say she works 80 hours a week, but she definitely works her 40. I think she makes about 125K-- with a PhD.
I know they are out there, but IMHO they are the minority. My MIL back in the day put in hard work, no doubt. She wrote most of the affirmative action policies in the state. (Yes, we have some very spirited conversations. lol )

In the instance I wrote about above, it's the director, super, and supervisor who sit down on the public time every single morning for an hour (I know because I've joined them a time or two when my business was in said town) to chat about "business" (Yea sure. ) and they don't do much. Believe me.

It was the same way in Windsor Locks when I spent a Summer working for the DPW. The full timers actually told me to slow down and that I was working too hard. Whatever...I just like to work.

Don't get me wrong, these guys have a ton of experience but when you are paid that kind of money by tax payers and your position doesn't require any kind of a degree etc etc...it's all feels a bit corrupt and inept.

Old 05-05-2011, 11:24 AM

7,011 posts, read 4,666,904 times
Quote:
I know they are out there, but IMHO they are the minority. My MIL back in the day put in hard work, no doubt. She wrote most of the affirmative action policies in the state. (Yes, we have some very spirited conversations. lol )

In the instance I wrote about above, it's the director, super, and supervisor who sit down on the public time every single morning for an hour (I know because I've joined them a time or two when my business was in said town) to chat about "business" (Yea sure. ) and they don't do much. Believe me.

It was the same way in Windsor Locks when I spent a Summer working for the DPW. The full timers actually told me to slow down and that I was working too hard. Whatever...I just like to work.

Don't get me wrong, these guys have a ton of experience but when you are paid that kind of money by tax payers and your position doesn't require any kind of a degree etc etc...it's all feels a bit corrupt and inept.
I've seen others with this mentality and, frankly, it disgusts me.

I've had occasion to work with public workers in Texas who had all sorts of strategies for doing less.

I work hard. My parents worked hard. It's how I was taught, and I think that loafing on the job says something about your personal values.

I have no problem with making it easier to get rid of these people.

Old 05-05-2011, 01:08 PM

14,082 posts, read 21,838,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
I've seen others with this mentality and, frankly, it disgusts me.

I've had occasion to work with public workers in Texas who had all sorts of strategies for doing less.

I work hard. My parents worked hard. It's how I was taught, and I think that loafing on the job says something about your personal values.

I have no problem with making it easier to get rid of these people.
One of the worst I heard was from someone who was a hard working secretary at a small branch office for a state agency. When their office hours were changed, she was forced to go one day a week into a larger office in the city. She would show up in that office and everyone would come running to her to get her to do their work. There was another secretary there but she never finished anyone's work. She was too busy clipping coupons. Jay

Old 05-05-2011, 06:17 PM

1,297 posts, read 1,103,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmdealerguy View Post
Maybe I am naive, but just explain what this may mean to me. I work in NY and live CT. We transplanted here last year. My Mom lives in Derby, after spending 10 years in New Milford. My sister lives in Shelton for 9 years so we moved here to be closer to my family as my Mom is 74 now.
I lived in NY until I turned 42. I big reason we moved is my wife and I wanted to buy a home....which in NY (westchester county) is out of the question unless you want to work 90 hours a week to afford your overpriced house. Taxes in NY are insane. EVERYTHING is more.Gas is out of control everywhere though. When we moved here, we were amazed at how cheaper most things were(food,clothes...things like that). Property tax for us is half the price of the same type and size of home we looked at in NY. Heating bills are higher here, but not too much where it hurt us finacially. Our electric bill this winter never went above $350.00 and we have electric heat,central a/c and a 3 level 3 BR townhouse. In the summer, it never went above $150.00 . For us CT turned out to be better. I have seen posts on here with people saying living here is not great. Trust me....go live in NY or try to afford ANYTHING on a normal income($100,000 combined)....The quality of life there sucks.Not everyone has the same situation and everyone will feel different. So I ask again, what is going to happen? I dont follow politics as I trust not a one.
well, I can't argue with you there, we moved here from NY several years ago, almost 7 now, and don't regret leaving long Island, we are better off for sure but I don't like the direction this state is going....like I said before looks like down the road CT will have two types of people, wealthy or on welfare.

Old 05-05-2011, 08:18 PM

16,328 posts, read 6,679,283 times
By the way, great posts on the disconnect b/w 4,000 job cuts and 2 billion dollars, unless the 4k is just the 20% down payment, of course.

Fixing its budget and not raising taxes is step one for Ct to avoid continuing its 2 decade long reign as the only state to shed more jobs than it added. The BLS has the full list of states, and all 49 others added more jobs than they lost during the same 20 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut