U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 08:46 AM

10,084 posts, read 6,628,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
The problem is that the commute is split between Farmington and New York. They are over 110 miles apart and it is hard to find a location to live that is convenient to both. I would recommend living either near Farmington and making the long trip to NY 2 days a week while having a short trip 3 days or living near a Metro North train station and being able to get into the city a bit easier. JMHO, Jay
Well, here's the thing. Living in Bethany is a 45 minute drive to Farmington with little to moderate traffic. To get to NYC, you'd have to drive to the Milford train station: 25 minutes, take the train at 80 minutes, then any subway/walking/taxi transfer. Let's say that's 15 minutes. So that is a 2 hour commute each way. Even 2 days a week that is rough. Living in a town like Fairfield, Milford or New Fairfield will give you a more reasonable commute to NYC and still only about an hour to Farmington.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2011, 12:53 PM

1,292 posts, read 786,021 times
Default Consider Megabus to NYC from Hartford

You're going to think this is crazy, but housing is so much cheaper in the suburbs of Hartford, and quality of life here is very good, so it's worth considering. Farmington, West Hartford, Simsbury, Avon all have good schools and you'll get a great house for your money. Live close to your Farmington job, and take Megabus from Hartford to NYC the two days you have to go into the city. It's extremely cheap (as little as $3 roundtrip purchased way in advance) and direct/nonstop. Get your spouse to drop you off at the bus stop in Hartford. You'll have a long commute the two days into NY, but you can use that time productively. The other three days, your commute can be very short. Think how much you'll save on gas and train commuting costs! You'll get a 3-4 thousand square foot, 4-5 BR palace here for your money, and good schools, nice neighborhoods.

Old 05-06-2011, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
You're going to think this is crazy, but housing is so much cheaper in the suburbs of Hartford, and quality of life here is very good, so it's worth considering. Farmington, West Hartford, Simsbury, Avon all have good schools and you'll get a great house for your money. Live close to your Farmington job, and take Megabus from Hartford to NYC the two days you have to go into the city. It's extremely cheap (as little as $3 roundtrip purchased way in advance) and direct/nonstop. Get your spouse to drop you off at the bus stop in Hartford. You'll have a long commute the two days into NY, but you can use that time productively. The other three days, your commute can be very short. Think how much you'll save on gas and train commuting costs! You'll get a 3-4 thousand square foot, 4-5 BR palace here for your money, and good schools, nice neighborhoods.
You wouldn't be saving THAT much on train fare (Megabus is $28 roundtrip and Milford train roundtrip is $33 at peak times), and Avon/Simsbury/Etc. are not necessarily cheaper than New Fairfield/Milford/Orange/Etc.

Buses are a bad way to commute to the city from CT. No offense, but it is crazy. You're still at the mercy of traffic just like if you drive. The megabus leaves at 6AM and gets in at 8:40AM. With transportation to/from bus station and then to your place of work in NYC, you're looking at a nearly 3.5 hour commute, 7 hours a day!

If you hit traffic, you're late for work. And bad, bad traffic can hit at any time. The train is almost always on time, barring a mechanical failure which will become more rare as all the New Haven line trains are upgraded, and the Brewster line trains are already all new.

Old 05-06-2011, 05:25 PM

3 posts, read 1,380 times
I live in West Hartford, and one of my neighbors has a job that requires her to commute to NYC once a week (the rest of the week she works in the area). From what I understand, she'll get up around 5-6 and drive all the way into Manhattan. Rough commute that day, but the rest of the week it's no more than a 15-20 minute commute. Plus, as people have said earlier, the schools are highly regarded and you'll get more for your money home-wise compared to towns along the shore with comparable school districts (i.e. Westport, Fairfield, etc.)

Old 05-06-2011, 06:50 PM

I know a couple people from Brookfield that drive in and have to leave between 5:30 and 6 to avoid traffic. But they still hit sometimes. You'd also have to leave the city by 3:30-4 or after 7:30 or 8.

I made the drive myself 3 days a week and drove from the Danbury area around 10am and left at 8pm. I had flexible hours though as I was self employed.

Only problem is gas, tolls, and parking can get expensive. With gas prices these days it's going to be a $100 a day commute.

Old 05-06-2011, 07:48 PM

11,622 posts, read 11,514,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkiv808 View Post
I know a couple people from Brookfield that drive in and have to leave between 5:30 and 6 to avoid traffic. But they still hit sometimes. You'd also have to leave the city by 3:30-4 or after 7:30 or 8.

I made the drive myself 3 days a week and drove from the Danbury area around 10am and left at 8pm. I had flexible hours though as I was self employed.

Only problem is gas, tolls, and parking can get expensive. With gas prices these days it's going to be a $100 a day commute.
I used to do the drive sometimes in '01 and would leave at 3 PM. Traffic was still awful. Pretty much if you're driving in, plan on traffic.

Old 05-06-2011, 08:20 PM

To be blunt, I think Hartford area recos are way off. The OP will be commuting to NYC 40% and that commute wouldn't be bad, it would be hell.

And again, your schools in towns like Avon and Simsbury are similar to Brookfield, New Fairfield, Orange, Woodbridge and the home values are in the same ballpark. The OP has a good budget and can afford a nice in-between commute.

Old 05-06-2011, 09:37 PM

11,622 posts, read 11,514,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkiv808 View Post
To be blunt, I think Hartford area recos are way off. The OP will be commuting to NYC 40% and that commute wouldn't be bad, it would be hell.
Yes, living in the Hartford area and commuting to NYC even one day a week would be a huge blow to one's quality of life.

Old 05-07-2011, 06:27 AM

93 posts, read 103,702 times
I agree that danbury-area towns would probably be your best bet (ridgefield, new fairfield, brookfield) although none will offer you an "easy" commute to either of your work destinations -- you will have an equally difficult commute to both locations. You will get more house for your money in new fairfield and brookfield than in ridgefield. Living in brookfield makes for a shorter commute to farmington; living in new fairfield will shorten the commute to manhattan.

Old 05-09-2011, 07:58 AM

7 posts, read 7,045 times
Milford - has a train station and if you live in North Milford (ie: Great River Estates) you can take back roads to Rt 8 to get to (i-84) Farmington. And since it is New Haven County, taxes are a lot less than Fairfield.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut