Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2011, 03:01 PM

1 posts, read 1,522 times

Advertisements

My family is considering moving to East. Either working in either NYC or in Stamford depending on which job accepts. There is more of a chance with NYC being the one that wins though. We are looking more at CT because it seems to have a cooler climate, which is good for us. Here are the things that matter to us in order of importance:

1) Low crime

2) Good schools

3) A cold winter climate/seasons. I know it sounds strange but, we are BIG hockey fans and want to make a backyard ice rink during the winter. Preferably anywhere that on average is below freezing for 2 months or so. Its been a dream to do this for a long time, but living in CA the weather won't work. Living in CA is like being hot for 358 days out of the year and having it rain for a week straight in the winter. Some people like this, but its not for us.

4) Commute. Preferably nothing over 45 minutes.

5) Close theme park. Be around 2 hours or less from Six Flags Great Adventure, Six Flags New England or decently size theme park would be awesome. Because we love going to theme parks too.

I do realise that we could end up living in CT, NY, NJ, or maybe even PA. So if you have any good advice we'll take it! Thanks.

Also should I post this in the NY, NJ, and PA forums too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2011, 03:15 PM

34,918 posts, read 56,903,161 times
You do not mention your price range. This one of th emost expensive parts of the o****ry so be aware prices will be high. I do not think that you will find a place that has cold enough weather to keep ice for 2 months. Maybe in Litchfield County here in Connecticut or the Poconos in PA. But they are far from NYC and Stamford. The climate here is milder than you would need. Jay

Old 05-21-2011, 08:17 PM

21,618 posts, read 31,186,278 times
Connecticut has very cold days in the winter (as does NY and NJ) but you will not find it cold enough to have ice for 2 months straight. Even ice for 3 weeks straight is tough here I think.

As Jay said, you do not mention a price range. CT suburbs near NYC are among the priciest in the nation so you will need to be able to spend quite a bit to live here, especially in areas with good schools.

Old 05-21-2011, 10:05 PM

680 posts, read 1,575,429 times
Its impossible. 45mins commute is the time from greenwich to GCT. Take the time to drive to station and walk its 1 hour door to door.

Old 05-23-2011, 03:15 PM

21,722 posts, read 28,055,508 times
45 minutes to NYC is only really possible in parts of Westchester County, or maybe parts of NJ like Inglewood or Alpine. It's very expensive in both places if you're buying. It does get a little colder since it's more inland in those parts of NJ or on the Hudson line in NY. To get anywhere near that commute in CT you'd need to be in Greenwich or Stamford, which are more coastal, so it tends to get a wee bit warmer in the winter.

Either way, buying a non-urban property within 45 minutes commute of NYC = $$$$$. Prepare to spend A LOT and the taxes in Westchester are insane.

Old 05-23-2011, 11:43 PM

2,046 posts, read 4,950,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedingHelp View Post
My family is considering moving to East. Either working in either NYC or in Stamford depending on which job accepts. There is more of a chance with NYC being the one that wins though. We are looking more at CT because it seems to have a cooler climate, which is good for us. Here are the things that matter to us in order of importance:

1) Low crime

2) Good schools

3) A cold winter climate/seasons. I know it sounds strange but, we are BIG hockey fans and want to make a backyard ice rink during the winter. Preferably anywhere that on average is below freezing for 2 months or so. Its been a dream to do this for a long time, but living in CA the weather won't work. Living in CA is like being hot for 358 days out of the year and having it rain for a week straight in the winter. Some people like this, but its not for us.

4) Commute. Preferably nothing over 45 minutes.

5) Close theme park. Be around 2 hours or less from Six Flags Great Adventure, Six Flags New England or decently size theme park would be awesome. Because we love going to theme parks too.

I do realise that we could end up living in CT, NY, NJ, or maybe even PA. So if you have any good advice we'll take it! Thanks.

Also should I post this in the NY, NJ, and PA forums too?
CT is too far from NYC to obtain a commute less than 45 minutes. The reason why NYC commutes are the longest in time is beacause of distance ppl are willing to travel is also long and the MTA accomidates them heck it even accomidates extreme commuters too when you factor in NJT and everybody else. for example I met a guy who lived in danbury but worked at a store along central park ave in white plains he told me that he paid $400 a month in gas. However since he did not know how to use the metro-north or transit system he ended up paying more than he needed to. The transit available to him would have done the same trip in a comparitive abount of time and was well under $100 per month heck around 200 or less with uniticket. The same trip could have been done with 2 buses and a train the catch one of the buses was an express the other was a short ride directly to his worksite. However the problem was he did not know heck there were 2 different ways as well.

Old 05-24-2011, 05:35 PM

331 posts, read 639,557 times
I am from Eastern PA, I've lived in NJ and now live in CT. Before this job, I worked in NYC.

I'm going to skip 1 (no price range) and 2 (I'm not familiar enough).

3 - You won't find anywhere in CT, NJ, NY, PA that's commutable to NYC where you can have a backdoor ice rink. In fact, I'd say it's borderline impossible this far south. While you do get days that are pretty cold, it's very inconsistent. You could have a day of 12 degrees followed by a day of 38 and rainy. You'd be better off finding a place near an ice rink. NJ/Southeastern PA have plenty of those.

4 - I lived in Hackensack (a mere 8 miles from work) and it took me anywhere from 30 minutes to 2 hours to get to work. You're not going to be able to live in PA or CT and commute to NYC.

5 - NJ. You could live on the border of NY and still be within 2 hours of Great Adventure. Plus you'll be closer to shores with decent boardwalks (although a ton of guidos).

NJ has a lot of places that fit your 1 and 2 as well. I think you'd be better served checking that forum, it's by far your most realistic choice.

Old 05-24-2011, 08:00 PM

708 posts, read 757,407 times
Yeah, I laugh at the people boasting about a short 45min commute from Stamford to Manhattan. I'm like do you live next to the train station in Stamford? It's your office in Manhattan right next to the Subway station?

Old 05-25-2011, 05:15 AM

21,618 posts, read 31,186,278 times
In a few cases, the commute can be done in under an hour door to door, but everything has to fall into place. I know someone who lives a block from GCT, catches the express 6:25 train, and is at his office in Stamford by 7:15. He's back at his apartment in the city by 4:20 PM. Not a bad day at all.

The funny thing is if you live past 70th street or in SoHo, and work in Midtown, the commute can be just as long. I also know someone who commutes from Brooklyn, and another from Jersey City - both commutes are longer than an hour.

Old 05-25-2011, 07:26 AM

34,918 posts, read 56,903,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
In a few cases, the commute can be done in under an hour door to door, but everything has to fall into place. I know someone who lives a block from GCT, catches the express 6:25 train, and is at his office in Stamford by 7:15. He's back at his apartment in the city by 4:20 PM. Not a bad day at all.

The funny thing is if you live past 70th street or in SoHo, and work in Midtown, the commute can be just as long. I also know someone who commutes from Brooklyn, and another from Jersey City - both commutes are longer than an hour.
That is the odd thing about living in the New York city area, it is all about access to good direct transportation. A person can live near Stamford station and be in the heart of the mid town business district in under an hour. They could also live just a few miles away across the river in NJ and it will take just as long because you have to switch trains or you do not work near Penn Station. It all depends. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut