U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-23-2011, 01:08 PM

7 posts, read 5,317 times
Default public schools in Guilford CT

Sounds like the public schools in Guilford are great. I'm assuming there are few differences among the four elementary schools. Can anyone confirm this?

I have two elementary aged children and one child who will be a 6th grader. Sounds like the middle schools are 5th-6th and then 7th-8th, which makes a lot of sense to me. Anyone with direct experience in the middle schools as well?
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2011, 02:56 PM

10,437 posts, read 7,523,281 times
They perform very well. Madison performs even better.

I can't comment on any other aspect than test scores for Guilford, but a friend of mine is administration at Madison's high school and says it's the best school she has ever worked at by far.

Old 05-23-2011, 11:20 PM

542 posts, read 1,187,041 times
Hi SeattleJenny,

I am a product of Guilford's schools, and I would say the chief importance of elementary school selection is that the group of kids form a kind of "neighborhood identity" that remains a social influence through high school. The elementary school zoning in Guilford divides the area south of Route 1 (plus a little north) into 2 zones for A.W. Cox and Calvin Leete and then a larger geographical area covering the rest of the town (less population density) is divided into 2 more zones for Guilford Lakes and Melissa Jones. The Cox and Leete districts are people living near the town center or near the water, and the Lakes and Jones districts are people living more towards the geographical center (let's call it moderately wooded) or the northern end of Guilford (beautiful rolling hills, lakes and farm land). To some degree, the kids and families in these districts are shaped by the land they live on.

Guilford is about 50 square miles, and you can drive 20 minutes in a straight line from Sachem Head (a beach neighborhood) to Bluff Head (northern end with highest elevation) and still be in Guilford. So yes, there are many options and many kinds of folks... None of the schools would be a wrong choice, and I've always found the individual teacher to be most important. However, in your case, I think you should just pick a neighborhood you like. I'm not sure what the rental market is like, but that could constrain your options, as well.

Good luck!

Old 05-24-2011, 03:20 PM

7 posts, read 5,317 times
Thanks for the replies! Much appreciated
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut