U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-05-2011, 04:38 PM
 
771 posts, read 274,012 times
Reputation: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkiv808 View Post
It's a cultural issue, not racial.

I think Manchester has less Section 8, less welfare, less poverty.
It IS, however, a cultural issue that is disproportionally within the Black community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-06-2011, 04:22 PM
 
6 posts, read 5,913 times
Reputation: 10
I've lived in downtown for 1 month now. I don't feel different from living in any big or medium city and I've lived in Chicago, San Francisco and San Diego. That is not to say there aren't areas which have more crime, but I have no problem walking home at night. New Haven has the potential to be one of the best American cities...maybe 20 yrs from now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2011, 04:43 PM
 
771 posts, read 274,012 times
Reputation: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmacco View Post
I've lived in downtown for 1 month now. I don't feel different from living in any big or medium city and I've lived in Chicago, San Francisco and San Diego. That is not to say there aren't areas which have more crime, but I have no problem walking home at night. New Haven has the potential to be one of the best American cities...maybe 20 yrs from now.
The problems aren't downtown, it's around downtown. Stay there longer than a month, go through Newhalville, then get back to us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2011, 06:40 AM
 
Location: Connecticut
14,178 posts, read 22,107,293 times
Reputation: 3083
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtruth View Post
The problems aren't downtown, it's around downtown. Stay there longer than a month, go through Newhalville, then get back to us.
Still, the point is that New Haven is a city just like any other. It has its good neighborhoods and its bad. And there really is no good reason to go to the bad neighborhoods unless you are looking for trouble. Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2011, 06:58 AM
 
Location: New England
8,156 posts, read 12,628,114 times
Reputation: 3161
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmacco View Post
New Haven has the potential to be one of the best American cities...maybe 20 yrs from now.
That's what they said 20 years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2011, 08:12 AM
 
Location: Coastal Connecticut
10,370 posts, read 7,291,692 times
Reputation: 1911
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtruth View Post
The problems aren't downtown, it's around downtown. Stay there longer than a month, go through Newhalville, then get back to us.
Why would anyone want to go through Newhalville?

That's like saying, hey, love Manhattan? Go to the South Bronx and see how bad NYC is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2012, 06:25 AM
 
1 posts, read 320 times
Reputation: 14
I am from NH and can say honestly that there is quite a lot of crime in Manchester. I don't know if it has as much to do with poverty as you all suppose. I grew up in Lowell Mass, and I think
Crime has more to do with limited accesss to basic needs, which can be an issue of poverty, and also has a lot to do with anger. It's interesting that the US has some of the worst violent crime rates in the world and is one of the richest nations in the world. Our Canadian neighbors to the north have just as many guns, bug don't report as many issues with people opening fire in public places. This is a societal issue. I believe our society focuses so much on individuals and so
Little on the needs of others that it perpetuates the idea that it's okay for all of us to take our anger out on others without consideration for them. Listen to all of you going on about who is really to blame, this group or that group. Whites, blacks, Latinos, or immigrants are not to blame exclusively. This is an issue of individual groups of people committing crimes. To label an entire group based on the actions of some is ridiculous, inaccurate, and racist, no matter which side it is coming from. We should really focus on teaching people how to embrace differences in others, to support their fellow human being, and stop taking their anger out on others in such violent ways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2012, 06:27 AM
 
Location: Fairfield County, CT
11,794 posts, read 12,107,696 times
Reputation: 3223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dre79 View Post
I am from NH and can say honestly that there is quite a lot of crime in Manchester. I don't know if it has as much to do with poverty as you all suppose. I grew up in Lowell Mass, and I think
Crime has more to do with limited accesss to basic needs, which can be an issue of poverty, and also has a lot to do with anger. It's interesting that the US has some of the worst violent crime rates in the world and is one of the richest nations in the world. Our Canadian neighbors to the north have just as many guns, bug don't report as many issues with people opening fire in public places. This is a societal issue. I believe our society focuses so much on individuals and so
Little on the needs of others that it perpetuates the idea that it's okay for all of us to take our anger out on others without consideration for them. Listen to all of you going on about who is really to blame, this group or that group. Whites, blacks, Latinos, or immigrants are not to blame exclusively. This is an issue of individual groups of people committing crimes. To label an entire group based on the actions of some is ridiculous, inaccurate, and racist, no matter which side it is coming from.
Crime in Manchester is WELL below the national average, so I disagree that there is "a lot of crime" in town.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dre79 View Post
We should really focus on teaching people how to embrace differences in others, to support their fellow human being, and stop taking their anger out on others in such violent ways.
LOL - good luck with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2012, 06:50 AM
 
Location: New England
8,156 posts, read 12,628,114 times
Reputation: 3161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dre79 View Post
I am from NH and can say honestly that there is quite a lot of crime in Manchester. I don't know if it has as much to do with poverty as you all suppose. I grew up in Lowell Mass, and I think
Crime has more to do with limited accesss to basic needs, which can be an issue of poverty, and also has a lot to do with anger. It's interesting that the US has some of the worst violent crime rates in the world and is one of the richest nations in the world. Our Canadian neighbors to the north have just as many guns, bug don't report as many issues with people opening fire in public places. This is a societal issue. I believe our society focuses so much on individuals and so
Little on the needs of others that it perpetuates the idea that it's okay for all of us to take our anger out on others without consideration for them. Listen to all of you going on about who is really to blame, this group or that group. Whites, blacks, Latinos, or immigrants are not to blame exclusively. This is an issue of individual groups of people committing crimes. To label an entire group based on the actions of some is ridiculous, inaccurate, and racist, no matter which side it is coming from. We should really focus on teaching people how to embrace differences in others, to support their fellow human being, and stop taking their anger out on others in such violent ways.
So what basic needs in the welfare state of CT are they missing out on? Housing? Nope. Food? Heck no. Free medical care? Nope. Clothing? Nope. Utilities? Nope...heck they even give out cell phones. Education? Nope.

Basically every basic need is provided, yet a certain class of people refuse to be responsible adults and live like animals...irregardless of color.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post



LOL - good luck with that.
Exactly. You can't have reasonable solutions and discussions with unreasonable people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2012, 05:44 PM
 
8,198 posts, read 9,209,839 times
Reputation: 4826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dre79 View Post
I am from NH and can say honestly that there is quite a lot of crime in Manchester.
Manchester, New Hampshire?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top