Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 08:29 PM

21,752 posts, read 28,086,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitek View Post
I agree with this 100 percent! To the poster that said New Haven isn't that bad, what a complete and utter joke! Hmm lets see. Seven shootings in one night is not that bad. 3 shootings that took place starting at around 10 pm on Howard, Valley, and Goffe St. isn't that bad. The 22 year old that was shot to death in a deli in West Haven at 8:30 in the mourning, I REPEAT 8:30 in the mourning when people are waking up, getting ready for work, and putting kids on the bus isn't that bad, and the man that was shot dead around Kimberly Avenue slumped in his automobile isn't that bad. Give me a break!
Yeah, and those are typically "lower" crime area. Especially West Rock.

I'd bet anything that the people committing the crime are from a select few model neighborhoods in New Haven... Spillover crime affects everyone.

Where in West Haven was that? Eastern West Haven is gross.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2011, 08:30 PM

149 posts, read 326,312 times
Wow I thought I was on the NYC forum.
There were 8 shot in 24 hours in NYC over the memorial day weekend. And the shootings have continued ever since.
Last week a girl was shot in the hip in the Bronx at 3:15pm , then there was that Brighton beach shooting and a girl was shot Sunday early morning in the Fordham road section. Also 4 more shot in the Bronx on Saturday night.

Eight dead from gun violence during bloody Memorial Day weekend - New York Daily News

I would like to see where NYC and Newark were on that list.

Old 06-13-2011, 08:34 PM

Well, NYC is much, much bigger than New Haven with a much greater socioeconomic range. As a whole, it's statistically a low crime city. I'm sure there are neighborhoods or areas in NYC that are as bad or worse than New Haven, but as a whole it is a lower crime city.

Old 06-14-2011, 11:53 AM

214 posts, read 427,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkiv808 View Post
Yeah, and those are typically "lower" crime area. Especially West Rock.

I'd bet anything that the people committing the crime are from a select few model neighborhoods in New Haven... Spillover crime affects everyone.

Where in West Haven was that? Eastern West Haven is gross.
The crime happened a 983 Boston Post at the Post Road Deli
Not to change the subject, but I remembered aruging with some posters on DC threads that actually laughed when I said Connecticut had some rough cities and since we're number 4 I have no need to argue anymore... New haven is more dangerous than any city down south thats for sure!

Old 06-14-2011, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Shootings have happened in the "nice" parts recently, including the downtown/entertainment district. Not good, and some new leadership indeed. Until the mayor stops catering to those who feel entitled, nothing will chance.
We need a mayor who actually gives a damn and better police around that actually stops crime instead of dishing out speeding tickets/harrashing people... Also the people are also to blame... Some had had family/friends killed yet they won't come out and support the stop the violence movements and programs out there, come out and speak against the violence, drugs, and non sense that goes on.

Old 06-14-2011, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkiv808 View Post
Well, NYC is much, much bigger than New Haven with a much greater socioeconomic range. As a whole, it's statistically a low crime city. I'm sure there are neighborhoods or areas in NYC that are as bad or worse than New Haven, but as a whole it is a lower crime city.
Very true! I was in Brooklyn last month and stayed there the entire month. Even though it has some hotspots, its relatively peaceful and business oriented with many Africans, West Indians, Trinidadians, Guyanese, etc.

Old 06-14-2011, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitek View Post
New haven is more dangerous than any city down south thats for sure!
The statistic doesn't tell the whole story. There are areas of Miami and Georgia that make New Haven look tame, but because they're much bigger cities that have suburban areas - the stats aren't as bad.

Old 06-14-2011, 02:24 PM

1,549 posts, read 3,055,664 times
Back in the summers of "67" and "68" the Connecticut National Guard had control of all of New Haven. There were curfews and soldiers riding the major thoroughfares. I forgot about the curfew and was followed by a jeep with guns pointed at me. We did have law and order those summers. Do we need to bring them back?

Old 06-14-2011, 03:09 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,416,040 times
By the way: In case you guys didn't read the FBI crime report whose information the list is derived from, the information is only based on preliminary stats for 2010 for cities over 100k people. This list doesn't include cities like Compton, Camden, Gary, E St Louis, etc.

Wtnh skewed that data for a news story.

Old 06-14-2011, 03:23 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,792,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe84323 View Post
By the way: In case you guys didn't read the FBI crime report whose information the list is derived from, the information is only based on preliminary stats for 2010 for cities over 100k people. This list doesn't include cities like Compton, Camden, Gary, E St Louis, etc.

Wtnh skewed that data for a news story.
I saw the thread, its not even close, these crazy northeners Joe. People try Chester, PA or Wilmington, DE, check those stats out on city data. Btw, Wilmington last year had 27-29 murders depending on what you believe with only 73,000 people. I'm sure New Haven has some bad area's but its not comparable. Just like Wilmingtons overall murders aren't comparable to Philly's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut