Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 06:22 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,853,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Uh, this is the CT forum, we are discussing a CT city, and thus the context was cities in our state not nationwide.

Ideology has a lot to do with it. Look at what happened when a conservative Republican got in office in NYC. (Rudy) The place turned 180*. People hated him and his policies but they couldn't deny the results.

All you have to do is look up crime statistics and the links to illegal aliens and you'll find your conclusion. Right now, the honest people are waiting at the back of the line, those willing to break the law are coming here.

Example: Illegal immigrants are just seven percent of Arizona's population, but make up nearly 15 percent of the state's prison population. They represent 14 percent of all inmates jailed for manslaughter and murder, and 24 percent of inmates on drug charges.

Over 25% of today's federal prison population are illegal aliens. In some areas of the country, 12% of felonies, 25% of burglaries and 34% of thefts are committed by illegal aliens.

In Los Angeles, 95% of some 1,500 outstanding warrants for homicides are for illegal aliens. About 67% of the 17,000 outstanding fugitive felony warrants are for illegal aliens.

56% of illegal aliens charged with a reentry offense had previously been convicted on at least 5 prior occasions.

Illegal aliens charged with unlawful reentry had the most extensive criminal histories. 90% had been previously arrested. Of those with a prior arrest, 50% had been arrested for violent or drug-related felonies.

And that's just scratching the surface. But hey, lets invite them into New Haven and kick hard working CT residents out of our universities so they have a seat. Sure.
You can't use a border states crime statics and say thats whats going on all across the US and in CT. The Suburban people are to blame for the illegal immigrant issue , they want cheap labor and in bulk. As for Illegal immigrants reentering , make it harder for them too and reform the Immigration system. Its broken and to complex to become a citizen and i know alot of Illegals who are trying to become citizens but get stuck in the Govt mess..... Its not fair to them or us , because a decent majority of them are talented immigrants and not criminals. Rudy is one case , but look at other cities like Boston , New Rochelle , White Plains , etc there not conservative.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2011, 05:52 AM

220 posts, read 525,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post

All you have to do is look up crime statistics and the links to illegal aliens and you'll find your conclusion. Right now, the honest people are waiting at the back of the line, those willing to break the law are coming here.

Example: Illegal immigrants are just seven percent of Arizona's population, but make up nearly 15 percent of the state's prison population. They represent 14 percent of all inmates jailed for manslaughter and murder, and 24 percent of inmates on drug charges.

Over 25% of today's federal prison population are illegal aliens. In some areas of the country, 12% of felonies, 25% of burglaries and 34% of thefts are committed by illegal aliens.

In Los Angeles, 95% of some 1,500 outstanding warrants for homicides are for illegal aliens. About 67% of the 17,000 outstanding fugitive felony warrants are for illegal aliens.

56% of illegal aliens charged with a reentry offense had previously been convicted on at least 5 prior occasions.

Illegal aliens charged with unlawful reentry had the most extensive criminal histories. 90% had been previously arrested. Of those with a prior arrest, 50% had been arrested for violent or drug-related felonies.

And that's just scratching the surface. But hey, lets invite them into New Haven and kick hard working CT residents out of our universities so they have a seat. Sure.
New Haven's current crime problems have a LOT more to do with gang activity in Newhallville than they do with illegal immigrants in Fair Haven. Anytime a shooting has come up in the news, it's on the west/northwest side of the city, where there have been gang busts and smaller gangs fighting among themselves to claim territory. I know it's popular to jump on the 'illegal aliens are our biggest problem' bandwagon when reports like this come out, but if that is in fact a cause of the current crime increase, it is a secondary cause.

Old 05-27-2011, 06:03 AM

21,620 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inetlom View Post
New Haven's current crime problems have a LOT more to do with gang activity in Newhallville than they do with illegal immigrants in Fair Haven. Anytime a shooting has come up in the news, it's on the west/northwest side of the city, where there have been gang busts and smaller gangs fighting among themselves to claim territory. I know it's popular to jump on the 'illegal aliens are our biggest problem' bandwagon when reports like this come out, but if that is in fact a cause of the current crime increase, it is a secondary cause.
I'd have to agree with this. New Haven being a sanctuary city certainly doesn't lessen crime, though.

Old 05-27-2011, 07:04 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,006,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I'd have to agree with this. New Haven being a sanctuary city certainly doesn't lessen crime, though.
X3, and that's really all I was getting at. Instead of coming up with solutions to LESSEN crime, they seem to be putting policies in place to increase it.

Old 05-27-2011, 03:14 PM

113 posts, read 374,388 times
From the FBI itself about these "statistics:"

"Each year when Crime in the United States is published, some entities use reported figures to compile rankings of cities and counties. These rough rankings provide no insight into the numerous variables that mold crime in a particular town, city, county, state, or region. Consequently, they lead to simplistic and/or incomplete analyses that often create misleading perceptions adversely affecting communities and their residents. Valid assessments are possible only with careful study and analysis of the range of unique conditions affecting each local law enforcement jurisdiction."

I've traveled all over this country and as a former New Havener, there is NO WAY New Haven is the 4th most dangerous city in the U.S... When I think about dangerous places, my short trip to Gary, Indiana comes to mind; my trips past Shea Stadium in Queens, NY to get car parts; my travels to the south side of Chicago; parts of Philly where I've seen people light things on fire... These are places I wouldn't go without a pistol! New Haven is a utopia compared to these places!

That's why these numbers say little, in my opinion. There are very few places in NH I wouldn't go at night -- maybe the "G," The Tre, and Upper Dixwell, but otherwise I generally feel safe in the Elm City.

My new hometown of Springfield, they've ranked 12th on this list -- which, if you've been here recently, is an absolute joke!! It's had 7 murders so far in 2011 -- and it's a city of 155,000 and 20,000 university students. That's pretty average, in my opinion.

These rankings fail to take into account the culture, architecture, and the overall resurgence of cities like New Haven and Springfield. Both cities would be in a Top 15 list in those categories too, in my opinion.

As a former New Havener and current Springfielder, I feel disappointed that news outlets would release such misleading information.

Last edited by JuJu83; 05-27-2011 at 03:22 PM..

Old 05-27-2011, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuJu83 View Post

"Each year when Crime in the United States is published, some entities use reported figures to compile rankings of cities and counties. These rough rankings provide no insight into the numerous variables that mold crime in a particular town, city, county, state, or region. Consequently, they lead to simplistic and/or incomplete analyses that often create misleading perceptions adversely affecting communities and their residents. Valid assessments are possible only with careful study and analysis of the range of unique conditions affecting each local law enforcement jurisdiction."

I've traveled all over this country and as a former New Havener, there is NO WAY New Haven is the 4th most dangerous city in the U.S... When I think about dangerous places, my short trip to Gary, Indiana comes to mind; my trips to east Queens, NY to get car parts; my travels to the south side of Chicago... These are places I wouldn't go without a pistol!

Compared to these places, New Haven is tiny -- that's why these numbers say little, in my opinion. There are very few places in NH I wouldn't go at night -- maybe the "G" and Upper Dixwell, but otherwise I've generally felt safe in the Elm City.

My current city of Springfield is ranked 12th -- which, if you've been here recently, is an absolute joke!! It's had 7 murders so far -- and it's a city of 155,000 and 20,000 students. Pretty innocuous, in my opinion.
Who cares that New Haven is tiny? It doesn't skew statistics. Fact remains that it's not a safe place, especially after dark. Sounds like you haven't been paying attention to what has been going on in New Haven in the past few years. It might be a laughing matter for Springfield, but it's certainly not a joke when it comes to New Haven.

Old 05-27-2011, 05:04 PM

1 posts, read 3,054 times
The police and prisons dont prevent crime - education and quality of life do. New Haven is so dangerous because half the city is in awful poverty just blocks from wealthy areas and businesses. The US has more prisoners per capita than any other country and also more police, so clearly law enforcement is not the issue. Desperate people do desperate things. A few extra cops wont help, just a band-aid on a amputation. Equality should clearly be the concern

Old 05-27-2011, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b.barker View Post
The police and prisons dont prevent crime - education and quality of life do. New Haven is so dangerous because half the city is in awful poverty just blocks from wealthy areas and businesses. The US has more prisoners per capita than any other country and also more police, so clearly law enforcement is not the issue. Desperate people do desperate things. A few extra cops wont help, just a band-aid on a amputation. Equality should clearly be the concern
If you look at *every* shooting/stabbing/assault in New Haven, nearly all are poor vs poor, and almost none are poor vs wealthy. That said, I highly doubt your theory of economic extremes are to blame here.

Old 05-28-2011, 07:19 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,006,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b.barker View Post
You're right, it's not their fault, it's the rich people who are to blame. We should take from them, and give it to the poor.

Tell me, what barriers are the "rich" putting up so these people can't improve their lives?

Take your social justice crap and move on, it doesn't work and in fact is what has enslaved generations of people and caused this friggin problem.

Old 05-28-2011, 09:17 AM

428 posts, read 1,174,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuJu83 View Post

I've traveled all over this country and as a former New Havener, there is NO WAY New Haven is the 4th most dangerous city in the U.S... When I think about dangerous places, my short trip to Gary, Indiana comes to mind; my trips past Shea Stadium in Queens, NY to get car parts; my travels to the south side of Chicago; parts of Philly where I've seen people light things on fire... These are places I wouldn't go without a pistol! New Haven is a utopia compared to these places!

That's why these numbers say little, in my opinion. There are very few places in NH I wouldn't go at night -- maybe the "G," The Tre, and Upper Dixwell, but otherwise I generally feel safe in the Elm City.

My new hometown of Springfield, they've ranked 12th on this list -- which, if you've been here recently, is an absolute joke!! It's had 7 murders so far in 2011 -- and it's a city of 155,000 and 20,000 university students. That's pretty average, in my opinion.

These rankings fail to take into account the culture, architecture, and the overall resurgence of cities like New Haven and Springfield. Both cities would be in a Top 15 list in those categories too, in my opinion.

As a former New Havener and current Springfielder, I feel disappointed that news outlets would release such misleading information.
I'd disagree. New Haven, for its size, is a very dangerous city. Like we've said on this forum time and time again, if the city of New Haven included the burbs like East Haven, Branford, North Haven, Wallingford, Hamden, etc. New Haven WOULD be a utopia. However, the city of New Haven is currently sequestered with crime because of its isolation from the suburbs. Also, New Haven is far seedier than Hartford; I feel much safer in downtown Hartford (but its outskirts, I believe, are more dangerous).

All in all, it's not hard to believe these statistics. But I can't believe Connecticut allows its once-beautiful cities to flounder in poverty and crime (Hartford, New Haven, Bridgeport, Waterbury, Norwich, New London, New Britain, etc.) It's almost criminal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut