Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 05:35 PM

12 posts, read 19,238 times

Advertisements

I lived in downtown Hartford for many years. It is not a terrible place filled with criminals like many of these posts seem to imply. There are a ton of events that happen, especially on Thursday evenings and on the weekends. Sure, there are areas that you shouldn't walk alone at night, but that is true for every city. There are several event locations and meeting centers, so tell the tens of thousands of people that flock there for events that they can't walk outside at night!!!!

Just find a safe, secure building and be aware of your surroundings, and you'll be just fine. There are three colleges in downtown Hartford, the oldest art museum in the country, and a large park surrounding the capitol. Here's an extremely safe building that has a new, fine grocery store on the first floor: Hartford Connecticut Apartments - Home - Hartford 21 Apartments

Good luck!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2011, 12:02 PM

91 posts, read 130,021 times
Thanks everyone. That is great feedback. Prior to house hunting I also wanted to screen out some homes that are in high flood risk areas. Does anyone know if there are areas in W. Hartford, Simbsubury, Farmington or Windsor that are notorious for flooding? If someone just wants to point me to a flood map online, that will work too. I went on the FEMA site looking for one and it was a pain to get.

Old 07-28-2011, 04:21 PM

8,155 posts, read 20,918,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vikm23 View Post
Thanks everyone. That is great feedback. Prior to house hunting I also wanted to screen out some homes that are in high flood risk areas. Does anyone know if there are areas in W. Hartford, Simbsubury, Farmington or Windsor that are notorious for flooding? If someone just wants to point me to a flood map online, that will work too. I went on the FEMA site looking for one and it was a pain to get.
It is my understanding that we are not in a flood zone in the Hartford area at all. Yes you get the occasional stream or creek that will swell, but there are no problems like in the Midwest here. Even when the CT River "floods" it's controlled and never causes problems.

Good "affordable" suburban towns in the region IMO are South Windsor, Parts of Vernon, Windsor, Newington, Rocky Hill, Wethersfield (It borders Hartford so some areas are more urban than others.) Cromwell, Southington.

East of the river has the easiest traffic flow, and most times it's pretty much a non issue at all.

As for downtown, it's absolutely fine. You'll probably laugh once you get here and actually go downtown. You won't laugh if you head up Albany Ave into the North end though, but that's not really anywhere near downtown.

Old 07-29-2011, 08:07 AM

34,636 posts, read 56,391,795 times
JViello - This is not entirely true. The Connecticut River and many of its tributaries do have histories of flooding but many of the most vulnerable areas are protected by various flood mitigation measures. There are large dikes in both Hartford and East Hartford to protect those communities. The Park River was buried through Hartford and now has a number of upstream holding areas for substantial rainfall runoff.

That said, a section of Main Street in Glastonbury was flooded back in the early 80's when Salmon Brook flooded. Did quite a bit of damage. I think the OP needs to find a home they like first and then go to the town to find out if it is in a Flood Zone. I think that information would be on the listing though. If you talk with the Town Engineer or someone knowledgable in the Engineering Department of the town, you should be able to get a feel if that particular home is going to experience any flooding. Jay

Old 07-29-2011, 09:30 AM

8,155 posts, read 20,918,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
JViello - This is not entirely true. The Connecticut River and many of its tributaries do have histories of flooding but many of the most vulnerable areas are protected by various flood mitigation measures. There are large dikes in both Hartford and East Hartford to protect those communities. The Park River was buried through Hartford and now has a number of upstream holding areas for substantial rainfall runoff.

That said, a section of Main Street in Glastonbury was flooded back in the early 80's when Salmon Brook flooded. Did quite a bit of damage. I think the OP needs to find a home they like first and then go to the town to find out if it is in a Flood Zone. I think that information would be on the listing though. If you talk with the Town Engineer or someone knowledgable in the Engineering Department of the town, you should be able to get a feel if that particular home is going to experience any flooding. Jay
That's pretty much what I was getting at. It's very rare, and in isolated areas, and when it does happen it's a swollen brook or creek etc. In the Midwest you'll have entire swaths of property deemed a flood zone...10's of square miles or more.

Old 07-29-2011, 09:31 AM

3,969 posts, read 6,527,927 times
Don't forget that some areas/homes still have to carry flood insurance - not sure if thats what the OP might be concerned about. When FEMA redid the maps after Katrina many homes in EH (and other areas I'm sure) that previously did not need flood insurance now do, I know at least 3 of our neighbors now have to carry flood insurance (we back to porter brook), we lucked out - I think because our house is higher up on a hill.

Old 08-30-2011, 01:56 PM

521 posts, read 1,146,200 times
if you are worried about flood zones, you'd be best to stay clear of areas like East Hartford, near Main Street and Portland, which have rivers running nexto them.
you say the rivers caused no problems, not so... in the 50s there was a massive flood near the CT river, i think near the E.H./Hartford border...
Lots of neighborhoods in Portland too, are right next to some creek or river... not sure what it is, and if we get really heavy rain, I'm sure that area floods too.
If you get a home that's up on a tall hill, you're must less likely to incur floods, flooded basements, etc.

I do believe though that Irene has caused many floods in areas that never had them before!

Old 08-30-2011, 02:07 PM

21,495 posts, read 27,731,790 times
What? Hills and slopes are GOOD to live on, they don't encourage flooding. As long as your property has proper drainage there should be no issues.

Old 04-21-2014, 08:05 PM

3 posts, read 3,905 times
hi everyone,

I will be moving to hartford in july to attend pharmacy school at uni. of saint joseph which is on trumbull street. Is this a safe area? Few months to go before I move and i'm getting a little scared b/c so many people are talking about how unsafe this city is. I am trying to find an apartment close to my school. Any suggestions?

ps - I'm from a small town so living in a city will be new to me. I'm not stupid and won't be leaving my apartment when it's dark.

Old 04-21-2014, 10:56 PM

36 posts, read 38,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afroze07 View Post
hi everyone,

I will be moving to hartford in july to attend pharmacy school at uni. of saint joseph which is on trumbull street. Is this a safe area? Few months to go before I move and i'm getting a little scared b/c so many people are talking about how unsafe this city is. I am trying to find an apartment close to my school. Any suggestions?

ps - I'm from a small town so living in a city will be new to me. I'm not stupid and won't be leaving my apartment when it's dark.
Welcome to the forums! If I were you, I would create a new thread rather than necro an old one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut