Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2015, 11:24 AM

9,909 posts, read 7,689,224 times

Advertisements

Been once to Session Woods it was amazing best park hands down in the state. I think they bring a few tag bear's there. It is dark in the museum/musty but it's cool. Think its a training spot for DEEP worker's and volunteers. Also a lot of educational thingy machigs for children. Have bird feeders in the back they take down at certain seasons due to the bears. I have no issue running with the bears down wind and keep your distance. Yeah beautiful park it's mostly a huge loop with one or two uphills. They have I think a wheelchair accessible trail and they have a trail mid circle to cut distances for people. There is huge ponds for beavers can see their old homes. Love Session Woods love it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2015, 03:49 PM

2,706 posts, read 3,374,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalalally View Post
That's pretty much what has showed up in our backyard too - plus a fisher cat once two years ago. Bear have been spotted in my town, but I have yet to personally see one here yet. I don't recall ever hearing of a moose sighting in my town, but I do know they have been spotted nearby -- in Danbury near I-84 and one running around downtown New Milford 2 or 3 years ago.
Our neighbor, who is retired Air Force and a retired commercial pilot, and who is originally from/grew up in a western state, claims to have seen a mountain lion dart across Milltown Road one morning a few summers ago, and I tend to believe his account because he's just a really good/straight shooter/no no-nonsense type of man who knows his stuff. (Milltown is the road that connects New Fairfield to Route 22 in NY.). His sighting happened on the NY side of Milltown, but still that's only a couple of miles away from here... It was a little unnerving when he told us about it-- his wife walks the neighborhood with a group of women every morning, and they stopped doing that for a little while immediately after.
Years ago, when I lived in Dutchess County (Pouquagh, NY), I saw a Mountain Lion crossing Rt.55, about 6 miles West where it intersects Rt.22 in Pawling, NY

Old 08-30-2015, 05:06 PM

9,909 posts, read 7,689,224 times
Only seen a fisher cat, mostly heard them at night, think one or two bobcats, foxes, coyotes, deer, and a rattlesnake. Supposedly there been bear and moose sightings where I live, but haven't seen any yet.

Old 08-30-2015, 06:54 PM

2,918 posts, read 3,228,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beer belly View Post
Years ago, when I lived in Dutchess County (Pouquagh, NY), I saw a Mountain Lion crossing Rt.55, about 6 miles West where it intersects Rt.22 in Pawling, NY
I just drove that road tonight! Lol! Not super familiar w/ Pouquagh -- actually I'm not sure if I ever heard of that area before right now, but we were up in Red Hook/Rhinebeck today, took the Taconic down, got off the rte 55 exit, and took that right to 22, and then across Haviland Hollow to New Fairfield. Bet I passed your old stomping grounds for sure (and where you spotted the ML!!) !

Old 09-01-2015, 05:56 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,487,187 times
I just watched this video and this woman, I feel, did the wrong things. Walking with the bears, not a good idea. If I saw them on the trail, walk back slowly, make yourself seem bigger i.e. waving hands and make lots of noise. Also, as a last precaution carry bear spray especially if you are alone. I always carry it while hunting.

She was almost taunting them. She was lucky that guy didn't take a bit out of leg.

Little advice..when being surrounded by bears...put down the phone. Is posting a video to Twitter that important?!

Old 09-01-2015, 06:10 AM

2,918 posts, read 3,228,605 times
I saw a news story on this last night -- apparently this particular bear has had prior questionable encounters w/ humans. While it seems like a scary incident to me, I honestly can't say he appeared overtly "aggressive."

How wrong I was... According to a DEEP official interviewed, his behavior is very aggressive and very uncharacteristic of black bears -- jaw clicking, circling (especially when the hiker's back was turned), charging/retreating, hair standing up, ears pinned back at one point, and of course "mouthing" her leg. I believe it was in Granby earlier this summer that this same bear chased a woman into her home and then stood on its hind legs and pushed with its forelegs against her glass sliding door. After that incident he was trapped and relocated to Sessions Woods. After this incident the consensus among the experts is that he needs to be removed and put down due to danger he poses.

Last edited by Lalalally; 09-01-2015 at 07:09 AM..

Old 09-01-2015, 06:46 AM

6,569 posts, read 4,962,654 times
Does someone have a link to the entire video? I didn't realize the one posted above was a shortened one.

She is still an idiot for filming and walking with them.

Old 09-01-2015, 06:59 AM

3,435 posts, read 3,941,124 times
The woman is an idiot, but this bear has a history of aggressive behavior and has already been relocated twice. Put it down before it hurts someone.

Old 09-01-2015, 07:41 AM

34,917 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Some one I know who lives adjacent to Sessions Woods told me that DEEP was out yesterday tracking this bear and they will definitely be killing it. This particular bear has a long history of aggressive behavior and unfortunately this incident was going too far. The bear is getting more and more aggressive which is not good for anyone. So before anything serious happens they have to do something with it. No choice. Jay

Old 09-01-2015, 04:32 PM

83,500 posts, read 75,234,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
WTH is wrong with people?! That woman is an idiot. She was clearly scaring the bear and provoking it by "walking with it" as she says, she should have left it alone. People like that should just stay home behind closed doors. Now this bear will be shot and killed because she thought it was okay to taunt it. People disgust me. "I got out alive". More's the pity!
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
Thanks for posting that. I agree - first class idiot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post
I just watched this video and this woman, I feel, did the wrong things.

She was almost taunting them. She was lucky that guy didn't take a bit out of leg.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
She is still an idiot for filming and walking with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 75 View Post
The woman is an idiot,.
B.I.N.G.O. Nice to see some smart people in this thread. This Bear incident and others is almost like pointing a gun at a cop, the cop takes you down, then you blame the cop. Some people truly disgust me. Sometimes I wish those humans were smarter.

Bears? I was hiking in the High peaks yesterday.. in "their" territory.. Bear signs all over the place.. Dense trees left and right of me mostly focused on the 16 miles of trails anyway.. Signs were posted that Bears are active and roaming.. We didn't see or hear any but we made sure they knew we were around by tapping the trekking poles so they wouldn't be surprised More Photos

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut