Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2011, 09:00 PM

9,806 posts, read 14,653,198 times

Advertisements

Hey guys! It's been a long while since the last time I wondered through the forums.

Hopefully someone will be able to help me with this.

Yesterday I went hiking in the forest preserve on North Street in Greenwich (sorry, don't remember the name of the preserve). The purpose was to get away from my daily grind and immerse myself into nature.

Well, apparently I also went to feed the mosquitoes and boy, did they had a feast!

Three bites on my scalp, one on my right arm and two on my left, and my "favorite" one on my forehead, right in between my two eyebrows.

Yeup, I told you they had the meal of their lives.

I just want to know if there have been any West Nile Virus confirmed in Greenwich so far this year. If so, in what part of town was the infected mosquito(es) found.

I've been searching online to no avail.

I'm sure I'm fine, at least I feel fine, but...

Thanks to whomever is able to help me with this.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2011, 06:03 AM

83,315 posts, read 74,613,640 times
Google is an amazing thing. Search and done.
West Nile Virus Maps - Human - USA

I havent heard about any cases which is surprising after a wet Spring we had. Maybe that too was like the H1N1 flu.

To add... I went walking in the woods myself and luckly I brought my hat with me... All I kept doing the whole hike was fanning mosquitos away from me. Very unenjoyable. I even got bit a few times. I even put Off spray on me!

Whats funny is I actually feel or see them before they get onto my skin but some are just too sneaky. Ugh..I hate summer.

If you're worried just call your doc and ask what can you do to check...

Old 06-23-2011, 06:05 AM

83,315 posts, read 74,613,640 times
Another site:: http://www.idph.state.il.us/public/hb/hbwestnile.htm

What are the symptoms of West Nile disease?
Most people who are infected have no symptoms or may experience mild illness, such as a fever and headache, before fully recovering. In some individuals, particularly the elderly, West Nile virus can cause a serious disease that affects the brain called West Nile encephalitis. It can cause permanent neurological damage and be fatal. Symptoms generally occur three to 15 days following the bite of an infected mosquito and range from a slight fever, headache, rash, swollen nodes and conjunctivitis (irritation of the eye) to the rapid onset of a severe headache, high fever, stiff neck, disorientation, muscle weakness, coma or death. Less than 1 percent of persons infected with West Nile virus will develop severe illness.

If bitten by a mosquito, should I be tested for West Nile virus?
No. Illnesses related to mosquito bites are rare. However, you should see a doctor immediately if you develop symptoms such as high fever, confusion, muscle weakness or severe headaches. Patients with mild symptoms are likely to recover completely and do not require any specific medication or laboratory testing.

Old 06-23-2011, 07:03 PM

9,806 posts, read 14,653,198 times
Thanks for the info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
View detailed profiles of: