Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 07:25 AM

243 posts, read 773,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konig1985 View Post
Not only that - there is a population of super-achieving white collar parents who move there for the sake of adding more pressure on their kids to succeed. If you look at the Asian population in Scarsdale High School it beats any school in Connecticut. I believe Asian tiger moms have also played a huge part in boosting their students' test scores.
It boggles my mind about that.

There are kids from Scarsdale and Greenwich High Schools that I bet become complete failures.

It just so happens, you can most likely still get into college even under performing at these schools because the schools have such a good repuation as being top notch. Doesn't mean the kid deserves to go to college, but it's all in a name, and that fact that the parents can most likely afford to pay. It comes down to NAME and MONEY.

It also helps when your parents have money and connections.

Like someone stated above me, you want your child to be a good student, you push them at home first. If you can do that then you can send them to any high school and they'll acheive.

And like I said, it's that reason that people comparing Scarsdale v. Greenwich as to what's better is freakin' absurd. Like are your really doubting the schools in Greenwich, just cause the people in Westchester have decided that Scarsdale is that much better? When it comes down to it, if you send your kids to ANY school in either Westchester or Fairfield Counties that IS NOT LOCATED in an INNER CITY, your kids will do fine, that's if you parent correctly as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2011, 02:04 AM

9 posts, read 56,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
My 1st cousin lives in Scarsdale. 2 little kids. It is a tough choice... I would choose Scarsdale based on Schooling but Greenwich based on quality of life.
Just being around NYkers will make you understand that.
And if you choose Greenwich the amount of money you save on taxes per year you can enjoy with your family. Not to mention the air being better in Connecticut.

It is a tough decision. How about work? That should help make the decision based on commute/traffic issues. And as far as keeping up with the Joneses, I think Scarsdale is more about that then Connecticut but then again Greenwich might be like Scarsdale.

Joneses dont exist in most of the state here..
We'll work in NYC and will commute by train, so that makes Scarsdale superior. Your comparison schools vs quality of life is totally relevant and while I loved Greenwich HS, I'm afraid of it being too big. Thanks a lot for your thoughts.

Old 06-29-2011, 02:10 AM

9 posts, read 56,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konig1985 View Post
Being able to speak Madarin, Spanish and English means your kids can speak to 3/4 of the world now. Very impressive stuff if you ask me.

I'll be realistic here - it makes a lot of sense for you in choosing Scarsdale especially they've studied in Asia and they are going to university in less than 6 years. The pressure they get in Scarsdale will not be anymore than what they got in Asia assuming they studied in competitive government schools there (which country may I ask?).

After you've sent your kids to univ, sell the house and buy a house in Greenwich! Doesn't make sense paying the tax when no one in the family is benefiting from it.
I hope it's true that the kids will be able to speak to 3/4 of the world. We lived in Japan and China and while the kids attended international schools, the environment is still very competitive with most of their classmates receiving tutoring in many subjects. Scarsdale strikes me as equally competitive so perhaps it's the right match. Thanks!

Old 06-30-2011, 08:35 AM

680 posts, read 1,575,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coober View Post
I hope it's true that the kids will be able to speak to 3/4 of the world. We lived in Japan and China and while the kids attended international schools, the environment is still very competitive with most of their classmates receiving tutoring in many subjects. Scarsdale strikes me as equally competitive so perhaps it's the right match. Thanks!
Scarsdale struck me as a pretty rigorous school equivalent to Asian school standards when it comes to test scores crunching. Even if they are not gifted, I am sure by staying at the middle of the pack there they have an advantage over alot of students in terms of their GPA.

Your children sounds like me when I was studying since grade 1. They knew I have a complacency to stay in the middle of the pack and they drove me hard at home to make sure I am at competitive schools so I can still graduate with comparative advantage over other kids. Lots of pressure then but didn't regret one bit now.

Old 10-08-2012, 04:27 PM

7 posts, read 13,353 times
Greenwich has good schools if you have a bright well adjusted child. It does have a lot of diversity at the schools that Scarsdale does not have. This is especially true in the high school.

I would pick Greenwich over Scarsdale any day. Greenwich is much prettier and now with the low interest rates is less costly to live in than Scarsdale.

Old 10-08-2012, 04:30 PM

7 posts, read 13,353 times
I grew up in Scarsdale and it had a huge clique problem that Greenwich does not have. You risk injuring your kid if you move to Scarsdale and your kid does not make it into the clique.

Old 10-08-2012, 09:33 PM

21,722 posts, read 28,048,669 times
Low interest rates? You mean mill rate?

Old 10-10-2012, 01:21 PM

53 posts, read 56,754 times
Default Scarsdale was going sue if an Xmas wrapping wasn't removed from a pole

We live in Greenwich. My sister-in-law lives in Scarsdale. There are one of the very few people in her part of town that celebrates x-mas. There is a street pole right in front of her house. So she and the kids wrapped the pole till about 4 feet high with green/red 3 inch shinny paper that said "Merry Xmas" days later she got a letter from the town saying there rec'd complaints about the pole and if its not removed the town will 1) remove it 2) sue her for "damaging" the pole LOL. In Greenwich people aren't afraid to say merry x-mas. There is a difference for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut