Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 02:39 PM

680 posts, read 1,571,748 times

Advertisements

I am sure I will get flamed for this but I'll just rent a cheap condo and buy when my kid is ready for school. Why pay taxes that your kid won't use until 4 years later? With current price trends prospective buyers are renting now to wait out the eventual bottom of the market.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2011, 02:48 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,803,502 times
^^^^^^OMG, does anybody know how to decipher what the OP posted?

$1.5-2.0M Housing Budget

OP apparently lives in the Woodlands right now.

The OP doesn't want a cheap condo, doesn't want a $2M house that is surrounded by 600K houses on a quarter acre, doesn't want a home that is miles away from shopping/restaurants.

It's called "Lifestyle". You folks don't seem to be grasping the concept.

/rant.

Old 06-29-2011, 02:58 PM

21,615 posts, read 27,882,464 times
There's a problem being surrounded by $600k houses?

(Assuming they get their acre+)

Old 06-29-2011, 03:03 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,803,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkiv808 View Post
There's a problem being surrounded by $600k houses?

(Assuming they get their acre+)
White elephant?

Old 06-29-2011, 03:08 PM

34,786 posts, read 56,634,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konig1985 View Post
I am sure I will get flamed for this but I'll just rent a cheap condo and buy when my kid is ready for school. Why pay taxes that your kid won't use until 4 years later? With current price trends prospective buyers are renting now to wait out the eventual bottom of the market.
Gee, do you have a cyrstal ball that tells you when the market will "bottom out"? In truth no one knows if we are at the bottom or not. It is impossible to time the market to get the lowest price. I have found that it is best to just buy when you are able and hold on to the property for the long term. Right now prices and mortgage rates are low. If you are ready to buy and stay for at least 5 years you should be fine. But if you are planning to sell sooner or are the type of person who gets nervious if prices go lower than you paid even if it is just for a short period of time, then rent. Maybe even consider never being a homeowner if you get that nervous about it. Jay

Old 06-29-2011, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Gee, do you have a cyrstal ball that tells you when the market will "bottom out"? In truth no one knows if we are at the bottom or not. It is impossible to time the market to get the lowest price. I have found that it is best to just buy when you are able and hold on to the property for the long term. Right now prices and mortgage rates are low. If you are ready to buy and stay for at least 5 years you should be fine. But if you are planning to sell sooner or are the type of person who gets nervious if prices go lower than you paid even if it is just for a short period of time, then rent. Maybe even consider never being a homeowner if you get that nervous about it. Jay
What you said is true especially in Asia because schools are not funded by exorbitant property taxes. In America an expensive home = exorbitant property taxes. Sure nobody knows when the market can bottom out but I can say the eventual recovery is not going to be like in Asia where real estates are a prime investment asset for liquidity to flow in and buyers have tonnes of savings to prop up prices to pre-crisis level in under 2 months. US market will have to adjust to new lending standards for awhile. There are exceptions however - if the OP is looking at exclusive areas with established international presence then trying to time the bottom may be risky as he has to compete with cash rich buyers when market turns.

Since the op is not buying a house for school purpose yet - really why waste $ on spending exorbitant taxes that are used for schools? Unless they can find that dream house in that dream location (which my mum did from her perspective) then definitely its a great time to buy because that dream house may appear at the right price, right location once every 3-4years. If its simply because a baby is about to be born and buying that final house sounds like the natural thing to do - I feel it isn't the best financial move now.

Last edited by Konig1985; 06-29-2011 at 10:40 PM..

Old 06-29-2011, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkiv808 View Post
True, but I guess if I was in their shoes and didn't have to commute to NYC every day and just needed to be in striking distance to major airports, I would pick a town that offers the most for the money, pocket the rest or live in an amazing house. You could do that in a town like Fairfield or Woodbridge. New Canaan, Westport, et al are priced the way they are for commuting proximity (and exceptional schools, but that can be found elsewhere without the price tag). Without a commute, it doesn't seem worth it to me.
+1 about not worth paying for a good commute town when you dont need it.

however if the op insists on spending the budget New Canaan still sounds the best choice to me.

Old 07-01-2011, 07:14 AM

87 posts, read 421,229 times
Statford, CT Resident couldn't have said it better, I feel like he knows us. We don't want to buy a $2M dollar house in a neighborhood of 600K houses because the house wouldn't be as good as of an investment that way. Plus, we want shopping/restaurants.
Thanks again everyone

Old 07-01-2011, 10:20 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,862,105 times
I agree with looking into New Canaan. It's often referred to as the "next station to heaven" by locals. Beautiful homes, a nice little walkable downtown, parks, lots of SAHM's, a friendly Newcomers Club, and in a good location for commuting. The OP should have no problems finding the perfect home in their price range.

Old 07-01-2011, 03:17 PM

21,615 posts, read 27,882,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StepRN3 View Post
Statford, CT Resident couldn't have said it better, I feel like he knows us. We don't want to buy a $2M dollar house in a neighborhood of 600K houses because the house wouldn't be as good as of an investment that way. Plus, we want shopping/restaurants.
Thanks again everyone
In that case, I'd tend toward New Canaan, Westport and the wealthier sections of Fairfield like Congress Street and Southport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut