Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 09:42 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,968,512 times

Advertisements

The unemployed 50 year old factory worker in Ct is obsolete. That's not blame, just fact. In RTW states, he still has a future, not as rosy as 1950, when Japan and Europe were still rebuilding, but not DOA as in the high cost states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2011, 10:42 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,135,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
The unemployed 50 year old factory worker in Ct is obsolete. That's not blame, just fact. In RTW states, he still has a future, not as rosy as 1950, when Japan and Europe were still rebuilding, but not DOA as in the high cost states.
American factory workers are increasingly obsolete everywhere.

Your continued advocacy for a re-industrialized, re-manufactured Connecticut economy is absurd. Connecticut is not built for manufacturing in the current age.

Most places who have risen with massive economic growth over the last few years have done so with technology and innovation. Small manufacturing will increasingly go overseas, and large manufacturing will increasingly be automated.

Future factory workers will be less laborers and more technicians operating the complex automated machines that do the work that human capital used to.

I'll take the QOL of this high cost state, thank you.

Old 07-04-2011, 07:08 PM

Ct has not gained jobs in 25 years per Malloy, so I'm not sure Ct is built for anything, including your absurd, George Jetson notions of a future that does not exist.

Manufacturing exists in far greater numbers in RTW states. ALL transplant auto mfg, all their suppliers, still tons of appliance mfg, including a 2,500 employee plant operating 30 miles from my home.

Ct did not abandon mfg for something else; mfg abandoned Ct and pols tried your game of talking non-sensical job creation in 22nd century stuff, while ignoring the 25 year drought.

mlassoff:"I'll take the QOL of this high cost state." (i.e. His way of saying "me, me,me is fine. Who cares about others")

As for your most places went techno, well Raleigh is thriving, but Ct won't get any of it. Pharma prefers Massachusetts now. Texas is doing splendidly, 1/3 of all post recession jobs gains in nation.

Old 07-04-2011, 09:25 PM

34,930 posts, read 56,935,296 times
Once again Bob, you are spouting misinformation and I am growing tired of it. Manufacturing has left the country, not just Connecticut. We have found other jobs to replace it. If we did not we would no longer be the wealthiest state. And it is not just a few high paying jobs that gets us that honor. We are not a fast growing state, nor do we choose to be. That is why the quality of life here is so high. Get over it already. Jay

Old 07-04-2011, 09:29 PM

It has left to some degree, but not fully, Jay. It is still a leading player and will remain so for decades to come. BTW, Malloy seems to disagree with the need for growth. His speech to the Business Council did reveal a far more growth-oriented side of him. Did you hear it? It was aired via Comcast's Public access channel a few times.

Bear in mind, stuff will leave. UTC is expecting less defense work in future years (i.e. less jobs), UBS will no doubt move tons to the new Trade Center, so some growth is required just to offset losses to come. DM, like most govs, knows this. Its called the creative destruction portion of free market capitalism.

Old 07-04-2011, 09:35 PM

34,930 posts, read 56,935,296 times
Did you think he is going to speak about social issues to the Business Council??? Jay

Old 07-04-2011, 09:40 PM

He did to some degree, but he has shown more interest in their needs than many liberals, and that is a positive sign. Plus, these speeches to some degree, are more honest than stump speeches. And of course, if he follows through with a tough budget even one hated by the state unions, the business community will love that.

If it comes on again, its a worthwhile thing to watch. A very good speech, covering very important issues.

Old 07-04-2011, 09:49 PM

428 posts, read 1,174,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Once again Bob, you are spouting misinformation and I am growing tired of it. Manufacturing has left the country, not just Connecticut. We have found other jobs to replace it. If we did not we would no longer be the wealthiest state. And it is not just a few high paying jobs that gets us that honor. We are not a fast growing state, nor do we choose to be. That is why the quality of life here is so high. Get over it already. Jay
Perfect.

Old 07-05-2011, 07:19 AM

11,297 posts, read 18,885,525 times
Quote:
Jay, you will probably consider this to be too "off topic" and delete this, but when I saw your post I just felt I had to respond this way. What I have found is that folks on "his side of the aisle" (I can't think of a better way to put it) are almost very unwilling to "compromise" on any issue, even if a majority disagrees with them (may or may not be the case here, but again, based on experience with friends, etc.). This doesn't mean that folks far on the "other side of the aisle" aren't uncompromising, and that I've never seen someone who thinks like a bobtn, janesmith or kristin85 say "I never thought of it that way", but what I've found with friends of mine who have a very strong version of that philosophy is they feel they have to "save everyone else from themselves" and almost see it as a "religion" (sometimes, though not here, religion even gets invoked), but again, I find it much more common in that direction than the "other way".

As someone who while I tend to agree more with you and mlassoff but sometimes sees a little bit of bob, jane, and kristin's points, I sometimes find I have to simply "agree to disagree". Unfortunately a lot of Congress is like this right now (here's where I know I'll get deleted but here goes), we are not a country of uniform ideology and a small majority is NOT a mandate (especially when it's not in both houses, etc.) and compromise is needed. For example, while we should not keep raising debt ceilings without getting budgets in better order, getting rid of some tax breaks for some very profitable industries is a compromise to tax increases and we should not be risking economic damage over it. While I think both sides in that are somewhat uncompromising it seems the right is taking more of a "my way or the highway, everyone be damned" attitude.

Sorry but I just had to say my peace.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/05/op...WT.mc_ev=click

Last edited by 7 Wishes; 07-05-2011 at 08:44 AM..

Old 07-05-2011, 08:24 AM

1,000 posts, read 1,805,823 times
Jay,

my impression is that wealth is not created in CT, but rather, comes from either old money, or is created in NYC, and we get a skewed average of the state's wealth due to those in Southern Fairfield Co.

I may be wrong, so I would love to see data that shows how many people are able to start with very little and become wealthy in CT, as compared to low tax states such as TX, FL, the Carolinas?

Quote:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut